Main Menu

The outside contenders

Started by quinny88, January 13, 2014, 12:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Quote from: Noz on January 13, 2014, 10:04:30 PM
None of your young players apart from Vlastiun, Conca and Ellis who are already in your best 22 will push towards best 22 selection because the club hasn't given them any chance to impress in the AFL instead they continue to recruit players from other clubs who have done nothing and give them first option over their kids

Grigg, Houli, Maric, Hampson, Knights, Chaplin, Stephenson, Thomas, Petterd, Gordan, Banfield and Miles have all been giving a second chance by Richmond.

You really aren't in a good position.

Ok mate  ::) I guess everyone that's voted for Richmond in this poll is wrong and you're right.

We traded grigg in for collins, yeah what a bad move. Grigg a regular Collins delisted.
We got Houli for next to nothing and he is an elite half back rebounding player.
Maric we also got for nothing and he has become one of the better Ruckman in the comp.
Chaplin filled the hole we needed to fill down back and was great for us.
Stephenson isn't taking anyone's position, he played like 2 games and was only there because we had no backup Ruckman.
Petterd again, we got for next to nothing and he has been solid for us.
And the rest either haven't played yet or only a game or 2

I don't know if you watch footy? People have continuously praised Richmonds recruiting as one of the best in the comp over the past few years. You have some odd views on things

Ringo

I can see where Noz is coming from and while there are 2 schools of thought Richmond used the rookie draft to Draft Miles, Banfield and Thomas and give second chances at the expense of other youngsters. So who suffers at end of the year when you have to decide on delistings younsters or these 3, Will be an interesting call.

Noz

Indeed Ringo you would have to think after the year Richmond had anything short of a semi finals birth would be a failure and i just don't see them reaching that feat. If they don't manage to reach the semi finals will be interesting to see if they continue their 2nd hand recruiting our look to their inexperienced kids.

Jroo

Most of Grigg, Houli, Maric, Hampson, Knights, Chaplin, Stephenson, Thomas, Petterd, Gordan, Banfield and Miles were recruited for depth. We didn't lose anything in brining them in did we?

The youngsters aren't ready to be AFL regulars as yet, but I'm really excited about our young prospects, especially our 2013 crop - Vlastuin, McBean, McIntosh and McDonough.

If our younger players are not in the best 22 then why would we play them when we're trying to win as many games as possible.
They'll get their time in the seniors, when they're ready and they still develop in the VFL.

quinny88

Quote from: Ringo on January 13, 2014, 10:18:49 PM
I can see where Noz is coming from and while there are 2 schools of thought Richmond used the rookie draft to Draft Miles, Banfield and Thomas and give second chances at the expense of other youngsters. So who suffers at end of the year when you have to decide on delistings younsters or these 3, Will be an interesting call.

It's not like we haven't brought kids in though?
Last year vlastuin was drafted and became a regular,
The year before Ellis was drafted and became a regular,
The year before that Conca Grimes and Batchelor were drafted and became regualars. Batchelor has since been pushed out
The year before that was Martin who is a regular and Griffiths and Astbury who have been in and out but hampered by injury
The year before that was the year we got Vickery who is another regular.

So yeah I think we have drafted and blooded plenty of quality young players in recent times. And watch Ben Lennon become a regular by seasons end this year.
Point made?

CrowsFan

Yeah but quinny you haven't played O'Hanlon enough, 8 games in his debut season and none last year is not good enough!

quinny88

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 13, 2014, 10:35:12 PM
Yeah but quinny you haven't played O'Hanlon enough, 8 games in his debut season and none last year is not good enough!

I never mentioned ohanlon but who of our best 22 go out for him?

Ok consider this is our rough best 22

FB :Morris, Rance, Grimes
HB: Houli, Chaplin, Vlastuin

C:   Ellis, Cotchin, Conca

HF: Martin, Riewoldt, S.Edwards
FF: King, Vickery, Knights

R: Maric, Deledio, Jackson

Int: Newman, Grigg, Hampson sub: foley

It's all good and well having kids to come in but there has to be a spot for them. I want Lennon, McBean, Arnot and Griffiths to play but they need to earn it. That's the sign of being a good side. Having to earn your spot not just being given it.

Like I said we recruited player after player for years and now finally have a settled side and have only recruited mature players for depth and role fillers that have so far all performed very well so I don't see what the problem is

CrowsFan

Sorry quinny I may not have made it obvious, but I was being sarcastic. O'Hanlon isn't good enough to be there so why play him. Same goes for the other kids who haven't played many games.

quinny88

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 13, 2014, 10:52:40 PM
Sorry quinny I may not have made it obvious, but I was being sarcastic. O'Hanlon isn't good enough to be there so why play him. Same goes for the other kids who haven't played many games.
Haha was wondering why he got a mention over other players but yes you're right.
No sense handing games out to kids for the sake of it when you have developed a side capable of going top 4. Were still bringing them in they are just being made to earn it which I much prefer to see.
I couldn't be happier that our days of the merry go round ins and outs every week are over

CrowsFan

Just used him as an example since I have him in my WXV team so knew how many he had played off the top of my head. Was interesting though that he played 8 in his first year (albeit 7 as sub) yet none this year. Any reason for that, or just didn't progress as expected?

quinny88

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 13, 2014, 11:02:35 PM
Just used him as an example since I have him in my WXV team so knew how many he had played off the top of my head. Was interesting though that he played 8 in his first year (albeit 7 as sub) yet none this year. Any reason for that, or just didn't progress as expected?

Like others I think he's just been left behind a bit. Like I said, when you look at the 22 it's a hard shell to crack these days and we do give players a chance but if they can't step straight in and have an impact then they are gonna be pushed out. That's just the nature of a club pushing for success.
This season Richmond have a stand alone VFL side so that will help massively in the development of the younger guys and they will be groomed to be able to step straight in to AFL as we see teams like Collingwood and Geelong do so well. They will be able to play the same role that they do from the VFL to the AFL.

quinny88

Ricochet

Gonna have to agree with the Richmond boys on this one sorry Noz. The Tigers have blooded as much if not more gun youngsters into their side than most top 8 sides. And they have recruited to suit their needs

tbagrocks

Tigers have a lot to prove and the most to lose imo, Carlton, Essendon and North all would want big years, unfortunately for most of them, teams outside Victoria will make them look silly ;)

Vinny

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 13, 2014, 01:21:06 PM
My prediction is this thread will turn in to tbag saying everyone hates SA...

Called it.