Main Menu

The outside contenders

Started by quinny88, January 13, 2014, 12:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

Personally I think if we played Hurley and Carlisle up forward it's pretty good with Belly

Pears should be in our best 22 hence having Carlisle and Hurley forward Hooker, Pears and Fletcher the key defenders and Carlisle, Belly, Hurley the 3 key forwards with Joe on the bench maybe not sure on him

Not many share the opinion of Carlisle and Hurley forward with Belly but I like having 3 talls with Hurley pushing up the ground

I do understand the whole ASADA thing but until it happens worry about it then

Ricochet

Carlisle as a permanent fwd with Hurley is interesting. Can Pears hold down a key possie spot for the year?

Vinny

I never said who my two were. For me it is Richmond and Essendon.

As long as they don't have too many ASADA issues throughout the year, they will bounce back.

Noz

People may ask why we didn't go all the way last year when guys like Wingard, Wines and Boak dominated every game is mainly because of these factors.

- Gray was underdone half the year
- We didn't have another key forward to stand up for the year
- Benny Newton was stuck in the reserves
- Hoff couldn't find any consistency
- Hartlett decided he didn't want to play half the games

Our defence is solid as is our midfield/ruck stocks we just need another forward to really step up and we have a top 4-6 side. Last year was no fluke. We dominated Collingwood and we should of beaten Geelong had the umpires not wanted to see Hawthorn V Geelong in the next round. We will already proved we could beat Sydney earlier in the year we push the best teams to the limit and this year we will go all the way.

Bill Manspeaker

voted Other. how can St Kilda not be there?!?!?!

only joking :P

I went with Richmond and North.

haven't really given the fixture a good look, so no other reason than I like them the most :P

think North are in a good spot to really challenge the top 4. 2 of my best mates are North supporters, so I'm right on them this year! go the Kangas!

Nige

The Tiges are probably the pick of the bunch, and then the other option is anybody's guess.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Blues could be a chance. Finally settled under Mick, with key players fit/injury-free, I think they've got the right mix to contend.

Vinny

Haha it's funny to see us Tiges and Blues fans supporting each other, look at us!

Nige

Quote from: vinny on January 13, 2014, 04:20:58 PM
Haha it's funny to see us Tiges and Blues fans supporting each other, look at us!
Only until Round 2.  ;)

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Ricochet on January 13, 2014, 04:01:48 PM
Carlisle as a permanent fwd with Hurley is interesting. Can Pears hold down a key possie spot for the year?

I think so showed some really good signs last year but really depends on where we can get the best match ups need to get games into him anyway for when Fletch goes

quinny88

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 13, 2014, 03:59:03 PM
Personally I think if we played Hurley and Carlisle up forward it's pretty good with Belly

Pears should be in our best 22 hence having Carlisle and Hurley forward Hooker, Pears and Fletcher the key defenders and Carlisle, Belly, Hurley the 3 key forwards with Joe on the bench maybe not sure on him

Not many share the opinion of Carlisle and Hurley forward with Belly but I like having 3 talls with Hurley pushing up the ground

I like the combination of Carlisle and Hurley forward but I don't think it can happen.
Fletcher's days of holding down a key post are over and if they tried to get him to do that he surely wouldn't see out the season. Pears is a decent defender but I think he plays the third back Role. Will get exposed against the better forwards.
They really need 2 carlisles

quinny88

Quote from: Noz on January 13, 2014, 04:12:48 PM
People may ask why we didn't go all the way last year when guys like Wingard, Wines and Boak dominated every game is mainly because of these factors.

Our defence is solid as is our midfield/ruck stocks we just need another forward to really step up and we have a top 4-6 side. Last year was no fluke. We dominated Collingwood and we should of beaten Geelong had the umpires not wanted to see Hawthorn V Geelong in the next round. We will already proved we could beat Sydney earlier in the year we push the best teams to the limit and this year we will go all the way.

No ones asking why port didn't go all the way, no one expected them to even make finals, port supporters included.
Port had a good season but at the end of the day they only beat 2 teams from the top 8 all year so they were largely aided by a soft fixture. Taking nothing away from them they still did well to get there and were exceptionally good in the finals but they have a harder fixture this year and will struggle to make the 8 IMO

Noz

Quote from: quinny88 on January 13, 2014, 04:42:04 PM

No ones asking why port didn't go all the way, no one expected them to even make finals, port supporters included.
Port had a good season but at the end of the day they only beat 2 teams from the top 8 all year so they were largely aided by a soft fixture. Taking nothing away from them they still did well to get there and were exceptionally good in the finals but they have a harder fixture this year and will struggle to make the 8 IMO

We have a harder fixture because we are a better team.

Its not even that bad we play Carlton, Adelaide Crows, Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney Swans twice which isn't the worst, Considering our record against those teams last year was 4-3.

We host Geelong, Freo, Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney all at home so that pays in our favour

in the 4 times we travel to Victoria its to face Carlton, North, Richmond and Collingwood with Collingwood being at the MCG at a ground we have won 3 games drawn 1 and lost 0 in the last 2 years.

Before the bye we have Carlton (Away) Adelaide (Home) North (Away) Brisbane (Home) West Coast (Away) Geelong (Home) GWS (Away) Freo (Home)

Going into the bye at potential 5 - 4 or even 6 - 3 puts us in a good position

kilbluff1985

Quote from: quinny88 on January 13, 2014, 04:37:05 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 13, 2014, 03:59:03 PM

I like the combination of Carlisle and Hurley forward but I don't think it can happen.
Fletcher's days of holding down a key post are over and if they tried to get him to do that he surely wouldn't see out the season. Pears is a decent defender but I think he plays the third back Role. Will get exposed against the better forwards.
They really need 2 carlisles

Agree with the Fletch comments I meant he would take the third best defender behind the other 2 Pears could hold down 2nd best forwards with enough support it's a team game not just up to 2 or 3 guys to hold down the key forwards everyone needs to help kinda stating the obvious I know

quinny88

Quote from: Noz on January 13, 2014, 05:26:23 PM

Its not even that bad we play Carlton, Adelaide Crows, Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney Swans twice which isn't the worst, Considering our record against those teams last year was 4-3.

We host Geelong, Freo, Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney all at home so that pays in our favour

in the 4 times we travel to Victoria its to face Carlton, North, Richmond and Collingwood with Collingwood being at the MCG at a ground we have won 3 games drawn 1 and lost 0 in the last 2 years.

Before the bye we have Carlton (Away) Adelaide (Home) North (Away) Brisbane (Home) West Coast (Away) Geelong (Home) GWS (Away) Freo (Home)

Exactly right, you are a much better team but it's still gonna be a struggle with how close the competition is at the moment.
Fremantle and Sydney twice is tough considering they are 2 of the premiership favourites.
Just to make the 8 port would need to take another big step forward from last year, if they just play as well as last year they miss out, and my query is that with so many players having career best seasons how many can be expected to not only back it up but get better again? Especially for a young side.
And let's not forget we're not just talking about making the 8 here, they could very well do that and are in the mix, but were talking about teams from outside last years top 4 that are most likely to make the GF

Noz

Quote from: quinny88 on January 13, 2014, 05:48:19 PM
Quote from: Noz on January 13, 2014, 05:26:23 PM

Exactly right, you are a much better team but it's still gonna be a struggle with how close the competition is at the moment.
Fremantle and Sydney twice is tough considering they are 2 of the premiership favourites.
Just to make the 8 port would need to take another big step forward from last year, if they just play as well as last year they miss out, and my query is that with so many players having career best seasons how many can be expected to not only back it up but get better again? Especially for a young side.
And let's not forget we're not just talking about making the 8 here, they could very well do that and are in the mix, but were talking about teams from outside last years top 4 that are most likely to make the GF

We have plenty of improvement left in our side most of our players were still inconsistent and many still have room for improvement, Our back line is solid and our midfield has just added 2 senior blokes in White and Polec who will provide plenty of run something we lacked last year. Our forward line still lacked holes we were missing a second key target up front and with the addition of Mason Shaw/Mitch Harvey next year if one of them are able to support Schulz we will have a damaging forward line.

Since 2000 we have the equal 6th best record when it comes to reaching the grand final so its not impossible.