Main Menu

The outside contenders

Started by quinny88, January 13, 2014, 12:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Thought this would be a but of fun and raise some good discussion.

It's easy to predict 2 teams from last years top 4 to make the GF again but who are your outside contenders?

Considering that the past 2 seasons have had Sydney and Freo play off in the GF after finishing 7th and 8th respectively in their seasons prior, it's every chance to happen that way again.

Give a vote and reason for your selections as to why that club or clubs are primed to have a crack at making the last day in September.

I'll kick us off with my 2 being North Melbourne and Richmond.

Taking my Richmond cap off and giving my 100% unbiased view I think North are the best outsiders chance to make the GF.
A handy fixture sees them play 11 games at etihad where they play their best, fast paced footy and 2 games at their adopted home at blundstone arena. A ton of close loses last year, proof that they can match and beat the best sides, they would only have to improve 10% to make the 4 and from there they are every chance to make the GF.

The Tiges are my second choice. Finished 5th last year and after losing in an elimination final in front of 95,000 at the G' I've heard countless interviews since of how much it stung and how determined they are to go the next step.
A favourable fixture and further development of younger players makes it a real possibility to finish 4th and once you're there you're a chance.

Ricochet

From that group my 2 as the next best are Carlton and Richmond.

Richmond I can see finishing top 2 but most likely top 3. First there is the draw and then add slight improvement from their youth. Plus the rebound of Cotchin and JRoo. I don't think Richmond can win a GF this year but they will finish off the year up the top end of the 8 thats for sure.

Carlton... expect big things from the Blues this year. Mick has had his second preseason to further develop and implement his game plan and build further on 2013. Daisy and the recruitment of some rebounding defenders in Darley and Everitt will add some much needed run and depth. Murphy will bounce back to his best and the team will be more settled and structured. It might be a big call but I'm sticking to it.

CrowsFan

My prediction is this thread will turn in to tbag saying everyone hates SA...

quinny88

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 13, 2014, 01:21:06 PM

;D no doubt

CrowsFan

Quote from: quinny88 on January 13, 2014, 01:26:35 PM

;D no doubt
Guess it's not really a prediction is it, just more of a statement of fact.

Ricochet

Haha guaranteed.

TeeJay

I've got Richmond finishing 2nd this year, all teams included! but my second choice is probably NM

Vinny

North, bullshower. Carlton are in the same position as North. But I'd have to go Tiges

TeeJay

Quote from: vinny on January 13, 2014, 01:38:24 PM
North, bullshower. Carlton are in the same position as North. But I'd have to go Tiges

How so?

Jay

Richmond definitely, and West Coast as a bit of a smokey ;)

Vinny

Quote from: TeeJay on January 13, 2014, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: vinny on January 13, 2014, 01:38:24 PM

How so?

Well everyone is going on about how North only lost to the top teams by a small margin and they can beat them on their day. Carlton were almost exactly the same, we only lost to all the top teams by under 2 goals other than Sydney and Collingwood the second time. We won an elimination final and we also beat North. IMO, we can do better than North next year. Not counting on it but I can see it happening.

Jroo

Quote from: Jayman on January 13, 2014, 01:51:55 PM
Richmond definitely, and West Coast as a bit of a smokey ;)
I reckon West Coast are underrated, they had one bad year and at the start of the year they were one of the premiership favourites.
But I'd probably pick Richmond and North, like Quinny.
Quote from: TeeJay on January 13, 2014, 01:36:29 PM
I've got Richmond finishing 2nd this year, all teams included! but my second choice is probably NM
Big call TJ, but I like it  ;)

kilbluff1985

how can people have Carlton above Essendon i don't know

i'm not saying Essendon should be in the 2 just that we are better then Carlton, Bomber>Mick

my 2 are probably Richmond and Collingwood

Ricochet

The only reason I don't have Bombers up there is because I think there will still be an impact on the club by WADA/Supplements Saga, in the forms of fines/suspensions or mentally on the players. I rate the team, your midfield is quality and backline solid. Although I think the fwd line has gone backwards slightly, but in a few years when Daniher has developed a little more it will be quite strong. Carlton are a good team, they just went through a year of restructuring and learning new game plans.

quinny88

Quote from: Ricochet on January 13, 2014, 03:37:09 PM
The only reason I don't have Bombers up there is because I think there will still be an impact on the club by WADA/Supplements Saga, in the forms of fines/suspensions or mentally on the players. I rate the team, your midfield is quality and backline solid. Although I think the fwd line has gone backwards slightly, but in a few years when Daniher has developed a little more it will be quite strong. Carlton are a good team, they just went through a year of restructuring and learning new game plans.

+1

I think Essendon are top 4 material when firing but who knows how they will come out with all that's gone on and continues to go on. And weather the investigation was an issue or not lat year, the fact is that for 3 years In a row now they've died in the ass in the second half of the season