Mid priced defenders

Started by Correy, January 01, 2014, 09:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Correy

Who will be the best option for d5 and why?

GoLions

shorty3264

I voted Kolodjashnji. He is a supremely talented player and will get plenty of opportunity. Personally, the only the possibility would be Docherty. The others, not to relevant and very risky.

Footyrulz

None of them are worth in my opinion. Just get Suckling or a rookie.

The best of those is KK, should get games, too expensive though i reckon.

kilbluff1985

i think OP is assuming Suckling is D4 but i think he should be D5 at this stage until some good rookie defenders pop up if they do :-X

Jroo

Quote from: shorty3264 on January 01, 2014, 10:00:42 PM
I voted Kolodjashnji. He is a supremely talented player and will get plenty of opportunity. Personally, the only the possibility would be Docherty. The others, not to relevant and very risky.
I agree Shorty, KK is a good option and the best rookie defender IMO.
Docherty is ok too, but I'd KK is a bit cheaper.

Sabretooth Tigers

:)
Although sight unseen " all the way with KK " Like all of us really hoping some rookie defenders in pre-season matches.   ;)

eaglesman

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on January 02, 2014, 05:40:12 PM
:)
Although sight unseen " all the way with KK " Like all of us really hoping some rookie defenders in pre-season matches.   ;)

i think many many many supercoaches are hoping for one of the rookie defenders to really stun us in the pre season lol .... no doubt it will happen and then we will all go 2 rookie defenders and get burnt haha

Peter

Surely, because of the likely lack of defenders this season, you need to load up on mid-pricers (Suckling, Doherty, Darley, Clisby, Wilson) and downsize on another line eg rucks - after the top 3-4, there are a number that will only make 20 points difference, compared to what will happen choosing defenders that won't play or be vested

Nige

shorty3264

I think there are enough quality players in defence to use the guns and rooks strategy. I mean there is Mitchell, McVeigh, Bartel, Walker, Birchall, Hanley, just to name a few. Suckling and Waters are the best mid pricers and I don't think, personally, anymore are required.

Ricochet

Quote from: shorty3264 on January 03, 2014, 02:48:33 PM
I think there are enough quality players in defence to use the guns and rooks strategy. I mean there is Mitchell, McVeigh, Bartel, Walker, Birchall, Hanley, just to name a few. Suckling and Waters are the best mid pricers and I don't think, personally, anymore are required.
Not enough good quality rooks with good JS though. Well not many that we are sure on.

Of those listed above I like Darley. Was a ball magnet as a kid

Mat0369

Keep your eyes on Weller, Darley and Shaw in the preseason games. Preseason games is where these guys will want to make a name for themselves and stamp their spot in the team. I think what role they play (Weller and Darley) and if they look to be pushing into the best 22 will play a big part. From memory Weller is also rookie listed so he also has to be elevated to have a chance at getting a game. They might look good in preseason, but using Darley as an example, if he lines up on the wing most of the preseason games and looks good, it doesn't mean he will get games. The Bulldogs have a lot of guys competing for a midfield spot and the fact that is one of their strengths it might push him out. They also have Goodes, Murphy and JJ playing those rebounding half back roles so there is a lot of competition there. Kane Mitchell and Tom Couch are the two guys that come to mind straight away when I think of this

mabo

Quote from: shorty3264 on January 03, 2014, 02:48:33 PM

I would avoid selecting Waters if it were me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-vicecaptain-beau-waters-suffers-another-setback-to-injured-shoulder/story-fni5faul-1226794924357