Would like peoples opinions

Started by Matt_352, December 31, 2013, 07:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_352

What do you think of Nahas, Lewis Taylor, Stefan Martin, Dayle Garlett and Mitch Honeychurch

What do you think of Naitanui, Ryder, Lobbe, Mumford amd Bellchambers

What do you think of Montagna, S.Selwood, Griffen, Barlow

Jukes

Nahas = monitor, pretty good chance if he's named r1/r2
Taylor = doubtful. Maybe if he was at the basement price, but at the premium and with the competition at Brisbane...would need a huge pre-season.
Martin = same as Taylor.
Garlett = gun, job security is iffy though. As a bench option only.
Honeychurch= good bench option.

Nic Nat = good pick but would have to have a ripping pre-season to get past Big Boy. Supercoach lock.
Ryder = similar to Nic, should improve but probably not enough.
Lobbe = good pick but won't up his average enough to be the best option imo.
Mummy = probable no with the other ruck options.
Belly = dpp is valuable, will improve but how much by is the question. Will need a great pre-season.

The four mids all in a similar boat- won't improve their average by enough to warrant selection for me over guys who I think will improve their average to the same level, if not more in Stants, Rocky, Watto, Cotch and MM. Potential upgrade targets.

Mr.Craig

Nahas - Some value there, I think he could get to around the 280k-300k mark but would build that cash slowly with some 40's and 50's sprinkled in which would stall his price rises. Doubt I would consider him.

Taylor - I'd imagine he'll get opportunities next year and has the potential to be a decent scorer. I'm not sure how far his foot injury has set him back and he's already priced at 35 which doesn't help. You'd want to look at his first two games and make a judgement from there.

Stefan Martin - I would take Clark ahead of him.

Garlett - It's difficult to see him playing more than half a dozen games but stranger things have happened. With Rioli out I reckon he'll be thereabouts for a Round 1 debut as long as he keeps his head down. A more permanent spot would likely hinge on Hill/Poppy getting injured or having a form slump but even then he'd still need to beat out a couple of other guys. An average of high 50's or very low 60's is where I'd peg him but I'd imagine vests would be a very real possibility as he gets accustomed to the pace of AFL. I've put him in my side a couple of times just for fun but the reality is I don't think he'll end up being viable.

Honeychurch - I've seen him selected in plenty of sides but I'm not buying it. Needs to put some weight on and work his way up from the VFL before getting a game. With Crameri coming in along with Hunter and Hrovat capable of playing that small midfield/forward role I doubt we'll see much of Mitch until 2015.

NicNat - You'd want to be bloody sure his body was right. I wouldn't pick him but I can see why people would want to take the punt given he could easily average 90 odd if things go right.

Ryder - He's one of the ugly ducklings of DT, puts in great scores sometimes but no-one ever seems to pick him. I think he'll average around 85-88. Probably doesn't have the upside of a Lobbe, NicNat or McEvoy in my opinion.

Lobbe - Had him in Elite this year an was understandably pleased with the second half of his year. One of the surprising aspects of his game in 2013 was that he average 4.9 tackles which was equal 39th for the entire competition. That, along with being in the top ten for hitouts suggests that he will be a worthy pick.

Mumford - Even with all the trades at our disposal I don't like his inability to play a full season. I think you've probably got more to lose than to gain with him.

Bellchambers - Nah.

Montagna - People keep forgetting that he is suspended Round 1 which is driving me nuts! It was baffling that he didn't get more love this year, I think he was around the 5% ownership even when he was entrenched in the top handful of scorers. Maybe it's the perception that St Kilda is a basket case that turned people off but I certainly wouldn't put it past him to be a top 8 mid again.

Scooter - He's mine, leave him alone!

Griffen - Much in the same boat as Montagna, was overlooked as an upgrade option by so many people this season despite killing it consistently. Great player, great ceiling, great POD.

Barlow - Should be able to maintain his position around the best 8-12 mids and be a good POD.

Peter

Agree with all other than Mumford - I think could get good scores at GWS as will be the main ruck and go to player coming out of the backline. Only problem with Barlow is very rarely gets you a 130+ score as Freo don't play a game style allowing for it in DT

pommyadam

Quote from: Peter on January 03, 2014, 12:45:39 PM
Agree with all other than Mumford - I think could get good scores at GWS as will be the main ruck

Giles says hi
my only concern against Mumford tbh

i'm liking Lobbe, played 19 games last year, looks like Ports #1 ruckman, and can rack up those monster scores

Thomas4025

Quote from: pommyadam on January 03, 2014, 06:47:36 PM
Quote from: Peter on January 03, 2014, 12:45:39 PM
Agree with all other than Mumford - I think could get good scores at GWS as will be the main ruck

Giles says hi
my only concern against Mumford tbh

i'm liking Lobbe, played 19 games last year, looks like Ports #1 ruckman, and can rack up those monster scores
Redden was the #1 Ruck til he got injured. When Redden comes back from injury (I don't know when he will be fully recovered) they will probably share the rucking duties.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Thomas4025 on January 03, 2014, 07:18:39 PM
Redden was the #1 Ruck til he got injured. When Redden comes back from injury (I don't know when he will be fully recovered) they will probably share the rucking duties.

I think the problem there is that to justify having two ruckman in the same team one of them needs the ability to provide a forward target as is the case with Cox/NicNat, McEvoy/Hale, Belly/Ryder etc. but Lobbe and Redden have kicked a combined 13 goals in 58 games. Port have tried using them in tandem a few times with mixed success but I really think they need to pick one or the other and my choice would be Lobbe with Westhoff and Trengove providing support.

Thomas4025

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 03, 2014, 08:20:31 PM
Quote from: Thomas4025 on January 03, 2014, 07:18:39 PM

I think the problem there is that to justify having two ruckman in the same team one of them needs the ability to provide a forward target as is the case with Cox/NicNat, McEvoy/Hale, Belly/Ryder etc. but Lobbe and Redden have kicked a combined 13 goals in 58 games. Port have tried using them in tandem a few times with mixed success but I really think they need to pick one or the other and my choice would be Lobbe with Westhoff and Trengove providing support.
Good point.