2014 Australian Tennis Summer

Started by PowerBug, December 28, 2013, 04:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Interesting to see a new name on the grand Slam list. 

This is the winners of the last 35 Grand Slams
Federer 13
Nadal  13
Djokovic 6
Murray 2
Wawrinka 1

Shows the domination in Mens Tennis over the last 9 years.

DazBurg

Quote from: Ringo on January 27, 2014, 09:08:57 AM
Interesting to see a new name on the grand Slam list. 

This is the winners of the last 35 Grand Slams
Federer 13
Nadal  13
Djokovic 6
Murray 2
Wawrinka 1

Shows the domination in Mens Tennis over the last 9 years.
yeah was looking intot hat myself yesterday the worst being wimbledon
this shows how much the big 4 have dominated
the last person not int he big 4 to win wimbledon was Hewitt in 2002  :o

Jay

DazBurg

Quote from: Jayman on January 27, 2014, 10:40:11 AM
Didnt Del Potro win the US Open?
yeah he did but i was talking about wimbledon
longest one of the grand slams since one of the top 4 haven't won it
11 years hewitt being it in 2002 since then either fed, nada, djoker or murray have won it

CrowsFan

Fairly sure daz that Jay was just pointing out that the list Ringo put up was incorrect since he doesn't have Del Potro on it even though he had won the US Open in 2009.

The actual list if you look at the last 9 winners of each tournament (so 36 in total) is...

Feds - 13
Nadal - 13 (8 French Opens)
Djokovic - 6
Murray - 2
Wawrinka - 1
del Potro - 1

Ringo

All correct missed Dal Potro so thanks Guys but take out the bottom and the top 3 have won 32 of last 36 grand slams very dominant performance by the three and Joker imo will dominate as well for the next few years.

DazBurg

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 27, 2014, 11:59:52 AM
Fairly sure daz that Jay was just pointing out that the list Ringo put up was incorrect since he doesn't have Del Potro on it even though he had won the US Open in 2009.

The actual list if you look at the last 9 winners of each tournament (so 36 in total) is...

Feds - 13
Nadal - 13 (8 French Opens)
Djokovic - 6
Murray - 2
Wawrinka - 1
del Potro - 1
my bad  :)

Justin Bieber

Watch language please Tbag :).

Yeah, that is pretty much domination by the top 3. Nadal pretty much owned French Open for such a long time and Fed usually does well everywhere despite getting on a bit recently. Hopefully get a few more popping up here and there to snatch a title like Del Potro and Wawrinka, makes things a little interesting :P.

CrowsFan

Wawrinka now ranked number 3 in the world after his win!

Also his hometown has been renamed from Saint-Barthelemy to Stan-Barthelemy! ;D

Toga

Well played by Stan to get up there! Disappointed that my boy Rafa didn't get up but good to have someone new on the winners list I guess :)

Quote from: Torpedo10 on January 26, 2014, 08:55:17 PM
Rafa should retire instead of going on like this. If it isn't cramp (Which it isn't) he should retire.

Torp that's a stupid call mate. I'd much rather see a player battle on through pain and cramps than see them retire (trust me I've been to Rod Laver to see big names retire in the past, and I've been there to see Rafa struggle through pain only to lose, and I can easily tell you which one I would prefer). And if you weren't the physio out on the court at the time I don't think you can be saying he wasn't cramping/injured. :)

BB67th

I don't really see us winning the Davis Cup tie against France. Up against Gasquet, Tsonga, Monfils and Bennetau on clay.

Ringo

Will be hard as you say BB on clay but Davis Cups as we know can through up the upsets. Can not see it in this case though as Australians are not strong on clay courts.

Grazz

Quote from: BB67th on January 29, 2014, 09:04:36 AM
I don't really see us winning the Davis Cup tie against France. Up against Gasquet, Tsonga, Monfils and Bennetau on clay.

Would be a wise move for us to take a potters wheel with us and make some bowls and vases out of the court atleast we will walk away with something. :P

My Chumps

Anyone heard the story about Stan's tattoo? It's a pretty awesome story.

He's got a quote from Irish poet Samuel Beckett on his left arm that says: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better."
"I never expected to win a Grand Slam. I never dreamed about that because, for me, I was not good enough to beat those guys. It shows me that I've been doing the right thing for many years."

As for the tattoo, Wawrinka said that Beckett's words had been "in my head for a long time. It was part of my life, how I see life, and especially how I see tennis life. Before today, I always said that unless you are Roger, Rafa or Novak, you lose every week."

"When you lose it's tough to take a positive from a defeat, from failing at a tournament. In general that's how I see my career. I always go back to the court. I always go back to practise, to try to improve myself to give myself the best chance to beat the best players in the world. To fail better."

Amazing stuff.

BB67th

It is pretty amazing that Warwrinka has won this slam, he has improved so much in the last year.

For the last 5 years he has been ranked around the 20 mark, with a 250 title here or there, but, besides the gold medal with Federer, not a great career to speak of with any real achievements.

Then last year, he almost makes the quarters at the Aussie Open, has a decent year where he makes a lot of finals, makes the semis at the US and goes to the World Tour Finals for the first time, sneaking in at 8th.

Then he gets on the good side of the draw in Melbourne, still has to face the 1st, 7th and 2nd seeds, beats them all and wins a maiden Grand Slam at 28. Pretty amazing story.