Main Menu

m0nty get your shower together

Started by piesfan1989, December 17, 2013, 07:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

mOnty just wondering have you ever thought of going more public with the XV Comps we have?

i really feel it would be very popular if more people knew about them like even eventually a proper website like supercoach for them

Ringo

Thank You Monty and well said.  Just need to have more mods please.   Some not active any more and it is a big job for those that are left.

Master Q

Quote from: Ringo on December 18, 2013, 09:32:58 PM
Thank You Monty and well said.  Just need to have more mods please.   Some not active any more and it is a big job for those that are left.
*raises hand once again

Vinny

Ringo or Colli for mod!

EDIT: And Spink! :D

PowerBug

Quote from: Ringo on December 18, 2013, 09:32:58 PM
I 2nd this, there should be mods in every board and another one or two should be added. :)
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

m0nty

Yep, I hear you on the mods, will fix that in the new year.

As for XVs, what exactly would you mean by taking it public?

Spinking

Fair points m0nty. I agree that having an administrator who oversees rather than is active is important, but there have been times this year where the forum has needed attention and it has been hard to get your attention to action. Things have improved with 3 quite active mods in ossie, HP and Holzman, but I believe there are still areas they can't access to moderate.

You make a good point that I have often thought about in regards to using some of the forum users to aid the new blog format. There are some forum topics like MrCraig's rookie reviews or LaHug's Captains that are as good as anything written on any other site I've come across. There are probably 20 odd personalities on here who are among the best amateur footy brains on any equivalent site.

Just want to echo KBs sentiment regarding the XVs. I feel this is one of the most appealing elements to the forum, and could be far bigger with the right support.

Thanks for creation of such a high quality forum.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: m0nty on December 18, 2013, 09:44:31 PM

like making it bigger advertising it a bit maybe i really think the concept could be as big as SC/DT

eventually even having it's own site and team pickers for it etc dunno hard to put it in words i just think it could be really big

Vinny

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 18, 2013, 09:51:06 PM

like making it bigger advertising it a bit maybe i really think the concept could be as big as SC/DT

eventually even having it's own site and team pickers for it etc dunno hard to put it in words i just think it could be really big

I agree the idea is great for the comps and it has turned into something awesome.

Maybe KB means make a website for XVs kind of like TX have.

Not on a huge SC/DT scale but you get the idea.

I think people would love it once they understand it.

Jroo

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 18, 2013, 09:51:06 PM

Ultimate footy over at the Age is pretty similar to XV though isn't it.
@Spinking well said, I completely agree.

kilbluff1985

dunno have heard of Ultimate footy but no nothing about it

Nails

Yeah there are other sites that have done exactly what XVs is that existed before XVs.

XVs as I understand it (might not be correct) is a game Ossie partly thought up due to inspiration from a game/site that was very similar.  But yes, XVs isn't the only "XVs" around. There are other groups of blokes doing the same thing.

And yes I think you can pretty much do it on UF as it stands.

Noz

I don't see how we can make the XV comps any bigger. We already have 4 comps on this website (not including TX) more publicity will mean more comps will be opened which would just be overkill. Pretty much the only reason this website is still running in the off season is because of the XV comps if we give each XV comp their own website like TX does this place will be dead.

Like maybe the winners of each comp can have something on their profile claiming they have won maybe their name changes colour or whatever just as a recognition of what they achieved. Something like that for the Elxam champions would go alright too.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Spinking on December 18, 2013, 09:47:16 PM
Fair points m0nty. I agree that having an administrator who oversees rather than is active is important, but there have been times this year where the forum has needed attention and it has been hard to get your attention to action. Things have improved with 3 quite active mods in ossie, HP and Holzman, but I believe there are still areas they can't access to moderate.
I think I'm the only Mod that is able to reach the most boards on the forum, only the Mr. Footy and Feedback sections I can't touch, not very active areas I can't reach. Depending on the time of year, at times some of the Mods can't be reached but most of the time we're around somewhere haha. People just need to remember to report if they see something they think needs to be seen to as the days of me reading every single thread are gone as the forum has grown...

We'll see if we can get those installed in the new year Noz, the name for the Winners and stuff ;). Ossie has been an advocate for it for ages as have many others, especially CF haha.

BB67th

My view is that the XV Comps could attract more people to the FF Forum.

If it was marketed as a new and different idea, which it is, it is different to Ultimate Footy and others in several ways, then it could really attract more people.

Now I have an idea here that I just thought of, probably not very good, but anyway.

Maybe you could use the coach ranking system (Bootstudder, Witches Hat Wrangler, etc.) or a system like it for the XV competitions. So once you have made so many posts you get a certain title and then you are eligible to do different things around the XV community.

Maybe you start off as a supporter, then you can move into assistant coaching roles, then eventually a head coach role. It would make people know that they start as part of the competition at the bottom and can work their way up to run their own team. It would definitely get rid of everyone's urge to start a new competition at the end of every season if the new coaches were involved in a different way.

I don't know, none of that will probably work in real life, but it sounds like a good idea in my head.

Either way I think it would be good to give people titles for their XV competitions accomplishments and I feel that if the competitions were marketed more on the front page of the site and more throughout blogs and forums, it could really generate some more people. I remember when I first came across the competitions to start with, I thought they were a great new concept and I wanted to find out more straight away.