Dustin Martin (Richmond Tigers)

Position: Midfielder/Forward

Price: $526,000

2012 Games: 20

2013 Games: 22

2012 Average: 85

2013 Average: 97

2013 Tons: 10

Big games: Dogs (144), Giants (132), Kangaroos (120), Essendon (115)

Summary:
We're getting closer to seeing Dusty's full potential! Increased his average by 12 points per game from 85 in 2012, to 97 in 2013. We all heard the frustrated coaches in 2012 that saw Dusty light it up in the first half of games only to go missing in the second half, putting up respectable but not fantastic scores. In 2013 we still saw a bit of this, such as his 28 against Carlton late in the season, but we also saw what he could do when he ran out games, with some massive scores!

It's obvious from the big games highlighted above, he doesn't mind to beat up on the lesser teams in the Dogs & Giants, and with Richmond's draw ranked as pretty soft this year, it's worth keeping in mind that this might help Tigers put up big scores. Also worth noting that he kicked 22 goals and 31 behinds this season so if he can turn a few more of those scoring shots into goals we could see some more DT points for us!

I thought he would lose DPP for 2014 as he did play through the middle a lot more this season but we're lucky enough to be able to choose him as a forward or a midfielder. Playing alongside guns in Trent Cotchin and Brett Deledio, I'd argue that Dusty would be third in line for a tag, and teams might even start looking at tagging Brandon Ellis a bit next season, so he could be even further back in the tagging order!

Verdict:
I'm locking him in!

We should see some more natural improvement from Dusty, and I think he'll be able to crack the 100 barrier this season. As I said if he can turn a few more shots into goals his scores will improve, and think that Richmond's easier draw will only mean good things for Dusty's DT game next year. He won't come cheap, checking in at $526K next season as the most expensive Tiger, but I think there's enough upside to start with him in 2014.

Unfortunately I think it's the last year he'll feature in our forward line though!

Predicted 2014 average: 105

Money

Toga

Thanks matey! Yeah in my eyes Dusty & Danger are just locks for our forward lines :)

Ricochet

Very close to including him. Only thing holding him out is I don't see enough increase in cash so the value isn't there. Will be one of the very first upgrades for me though

Money

Quote from: Ricochet on December 15, 2013, 03:06:57 PM
Very close to including him. Only thing holding him out is I don't see enough increase in cash so the value isn't there. Will be one of the very first upgrades for me though

But then again if he averages 100-105 from R1 the cash increase isn't really a big deal

Toga

Yeah I agree Money. When choosing your premiums, is cash increase a big deal? If he's gonna be a top 5 forward (which I think he will be) I think you need to lock him in and forget about him increasing in value or whatever

Ricochet

Quote from: Money on December 15, 2013, 03:12:22 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 15, 2013, 03:06:57 PM

But then again if he averages 100-105 from R1 the cash increase isn't really a big deal
Thats what i mean. Even if he goes up to 105, he won't increase too much in price. Money can be spent elsewhere on better value and then upgrade to Dusty

Toga

Oh right, gotcha Rico.

His draw for the first 10 rounds is: GC, Carlton, WBD, Collingwood, BL, Hawks, Cats, Bye, Melbourne, GWS.

So you want him after his bye for sure.

Ricochet

And his round 8 bye makes a perfect upgrade time.

Jroo

Awesome work Toga, he will be one of the top forwards and I'll be locking him in.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Ricochet on January 24, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-24/dusty-the-defender

:-\

I've always wondered if Richmond could use Dusty's lack of chasing and accountability in their back six.

Jazzoskies

I got the image of Heath Shaws role at Collingwood in my head as I read that article, also as Dusty demands the ball quite a lot from his team, he might be on the end of a few more cheap marks and kicks being in the back line now?

Scrads

Imagine if he was a B/F in 2015 hahaha

Adamant

Quote from: Ricochet on January 24, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-24/dusty-the-defender

:-\

Doubt this will actually happen, Martin will continue to gun it in his usual role.

He's not in my squad though.