Sick of people writing us off from winning the premiership

Started by phil5158, December 05, 2013, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Got a handful of , i'll use the word ") guns,but the list ends pretty quick after that

tbagrocks

A hand full of guns then it drops away quickly?  Overachieved in 2012? Weren't fit enough this year?
One of these statements are correct, sadly it's the vic bias that isn't ;)

How does the list drop away? By bringing in veterans Betts and Pods? Having four NRS nominations this season? Having one of the youngest lists? Having these handful of guns all 23yrs or younger?

Mailman the 2nd

You can count the number of strong players at Adelaide on one hand.

People said (plenty of swans fans included) that Sam Reid was going to become the next huge power forward in the AFL. He hasn't really done anything in 3 years.

Rising star nominations mean piss all anyway after the first 5-7 rounds.

tbagrocks

So thee guys are crap? Douglas, Sauce, Crouch, Betts, VB, Smith and Reilly?

Clearly didn't watch too much of the kids in some big wins over Geelong, NM, GC ect with Crouch, Grigg, LJ, Brown, Laird, Smith, Hendo stepping up and winning games for the club

CrowsFan

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on December 08, 2013, 05:19:23 PM
Interesting you say that when CD rate Adelaide as the 5th strongest list in the comp...

Ziplock

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 08, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
Interesting you say that when CD rate Adelaide as the 5th strongest list in the comp...

Wheres this ranking? (out of curiosity)

and if it's done on the shower house AFL website player  rankings, it means flower all.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Ziplock on December 08, 2013, 05:42:49 PM
Quote from: CrowsFan on December 08, 2013, 05:31:56 PM

Wheres this ranking? (out of curiosity)

and if it's done on the shower house AFL website player  rankings, it means flower all.
CD use their own rankings, not the stupid AFL ones ;)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/champion-data-list-analysis-has-reigning-afl-premiers-hawthorn-ahead-of-the-pack/story-fni5f8ge-1226777876749

Ziplock

Well, according to that article, eagles were ranked 2nd last year, and are ranked 3rd this year, so.... :P

Mailman the 2nd

West Coast and Adelaide are only there so that their top 8 is different from everyone elses.

In the 0.05% chance it happens, they'll televise it like they're prediction gods and when they don't they'll just ignore it and tip Melbourne to come 2nd next year.

Young talent burns out much quicker throughout the season which is why experience from guys like Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney have lead them to consistent top finishes.

CrowsFan

They're not predicting Adelaide and eagles to finish 5th and 3rd mails. They are saying that using stats on all the players who have played at least 10 games over the last 2 years that the quality of players they have are better than other squads. Ye you are saying you can count adelaides good players on one hand.

Mailman the 2nd

Can you tell me what the rankings are based on? (because i don't have the stats)

Reading the website and the 75/25 weighting it probably considers Walker and Dangerfield to top 2/3 in respective positions (i don't argue that)

It wouldn't account for injuries into the season (specifically Walker) and the specific importance of players on the club.

Walker, Dangerfield and Jacobs are the complete foundations of the club. Players like Sloane etc. are good but are moderately replaceable.

One is already injured for the starting chunk of the season and Jacobs didnt have the best of form so I can see some pretty easy reasons to "write Adelaide off the cup"

Ziplock

Walker's the big one- I'd be extremely surprised if he comes back immediately at his best.

meow meow

Wasn't there a thread like this last year where the Crows supporters were claiming a top 4 finish was a mere formality? Now we're talking premierships? Wow.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on December 08, 2013, 06:42:07 PM
Can you tell me what the rankings are based on? (because i don't have the stats)

Reading the website and the 75/25 weighting it probably considers Walker and Dangerfield to top 2/3 in respective positions (i don't argue that)

It wouldn't account for injuries into the season (specifically Walker) and the specific importance of players on the club.

Walker, Dangerfield and Jacobs are the complete foundations of the club. Players like Sloane etc. are good but are moderately replaceable.

One is already injured for the starting chunk of the season and Jacobs didnt have the best of form so I can see some pretty easy reasons to "write Adelaide off the cup"
I'm not trying to say Adelaide will win the cup. In fact I will just be happy if we manage to make the 8 next year after a very poor season.

Have you every bought or looked at the prospectus? In each edition they split they players in to rating categories of elite, above average, average, below average and poor (i think that's them). So the majority of players are obviously going to be classed as average. Positions are also taken in to account. The stats used I'm guessing are just pretty much everything CD record, which is pretty much everything in the game.

So going by this the more players you have who are categorised as elite or above average the higher your squad ranking is going to be...

Ziplock

well, also depends on how many players you have below average to be fair :P

if you have 10 elite players, but then the rest of your team is really, really shower, you're probably going to struggle anyway :P