Main Menu

Duigan set to retire

Started by Ricochet, December 04, 2013, 12:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Quote from: TeeJay on December 04, 2013, 10:39:04 PM
I thought he was a very solid player. Couldn't believe he wasn't getting opportunities. Wasn't he one of the front runners to become the captain just 12 months ago?  :o

He was. He had a down season the year before struggling with injury and his disposal had not been great but he had apparently been tearing up the track leading into the season that just past and was thrown in as a potential captain. The reason he actually didn't get the captaincy was because he had struggled to be in the 22 consistently the season before, but that was mainly due to the injuries which also impacted his form. Considering he and Laidler were both so integral to the turnaround of the Carlton defense in 2011 and now they are both effectively gone is really disappointing. Especially when both guys should have been getting games on merit ahead of the likes of Josh Bootsma.

Noz

He only missed 3 games this year, None of them was because he was injured one of them was because he was an emergency and the other 2 was because he got suspended. He was an decent AFL player and an OK VFL player nothing to great. At 29 years of age he can't improve any more and he isn't in Carlton's best 22 so why would Mick keep him around.

Mat0369

Quote from: Noz on December 06, 2013, 01:08:45 PM
He only missed 3 games this year, None of them was because he was injured one of them was because he was an emergency and the other 2 was because he got suspended. He was an decent AFL player and an OK VFL player nothing to great. At 29 years of age he can't improve any more and he isn't in Carlton's best 22 so why would Mick keep him around.

2012 is the season I was referring to when he was injured. He started the pre-season late, got injured again in the pre-season before eventually coming into play and struggling due to a lack of touch. Both he and Walker had a lot of trouble getting their bodies right that year which severely hurt their form

Master Q

I agree with Matt here. Laidler and Duigan were two guys who had an immediate impact on the defense and they went missing this year.

Strange to retire after List Lodgements though. I guess that means a kid misses out on playing AFL footy this year...

Ringo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-09/retiring-duigan-put-on-lti-list

Confirmed that Duigan has retired with Carlton being given permission to place on LTI and promote a rookie.

Vinny

Capper

That sucks, also didnt realise he was 29