Main Menu

Duigan set to retire

Started by Ricochet, December 04, 2013, 12:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-03/duigan-likely-to-retire

CARLTON defender Nick Duigan looks set to retire after coming to the realisation his body will not withstand the rigours of another preseason.

Mat0369

The two key lines from the article

The defender's desire to retire has also been influenced by the likelihood he would struggle for senior opportunities in 2014.

In Mick Malthouse's first season as coach last year, Duigan played just five games after playing 38 in his first two seasons.

Ricochet

Am also thinking thats the true reason Mat.

Mat0369

It is extremely disappointing, Duigs had his limitations (mainly his kicking) but he was a gutsy player and pretty integral to the turnaround of Carlton's defense a couple seasons back. Not to mention what he brings to the team and the community off the field.

And it also explains why they delisted Scotland. They will upgrade him as a permanent rookie this season and just keep Duigan's expiring contract on the books for the season.

Noz

If he wanted to retire he could of told Mick before the drafts so he could of looked at replacing him on the list. He obviously is a required player otherwise he wouldn't be at the club

Vinny

Get flowered Mick, you tool. >:( Duigaaan :(

JBs-Hawks

Come back to the legs #repaythefaith

Jroo

Wy didn't he retire earlier  >:(
Just kidding, but I still can't believe how he kicked five goals against us  ::)  :P
Tbh, I didn't think he was that bad as a defender, not sure why Mick didn't like him.

Vinny

I loved watching him play, and the mo! :(

TeeJay

I thought he was a very solid player. Couldn't believe he wasn't getting opportunities. Wasn't he one of the front runners to become the captain just 12 months ago?  :o

Vinny

Quote from: TeeJay on December 04, 2013, 10:39:04 PM
I thought he was a very solid player. Couldn't believe he wasn't getting opportunities. Wasn't he one of the front runners to become the captain just 12 months ago?  :o

Yeah he was! Was one of the possible options and was in the leadership group, Mick is just a tool haha.  >:(  :P

TeeJay

Quote from: vinny on December 04, 2013, 10:43:59 PM
Quote from: TeeJay on December 04, 2013, 10:39:04 PM

Yeah he was! Was one of the possible options and was in the leadership group, Mick is just a tool haha.  >:(  :P

Very odd

Nige

Heard stuff that Duigan said something or other about Mick not playing him or something like that and so he was in the bad books.

truBLUE

Didn't this happen to Scotland at Collingwood with mick  ::)

Mailman the 2nd

There always a limited number of players you can please at a club as coach