Main Menu

8 Rookie Midfield Strategy

Started by stevemac, March 09, 2010, 11:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevemac

Consider for a moment, your midfield in 2010 is..

Martin, Shuey, Barlow, Banner, Bastinac, Morabito, Trengove, Scully
(with any 2 being on the bench)

A current midfield, depending on your strategy is about $2-2.2 million (about 25% of your salary cap)

By making your midfield all rookies, you are spending $8-900,000 or about 10% of your salary on that area.

Let's assume you're spending $1m on your rucks (something like Sandilands, Kruezer, Warnock, Lobbe)

This leaves about $6m for your forward and defence combined.

For arguments sake, let's say you have Lisle, Davis on your back bench and Rockliff, Podsiadly on your forward bench

You now have a whopping $466,000 to spend on each on-field player.

For example..
F-  Riewoldt, Didak, O'Keefe, Brown, Pavlich, Higgins ($2.52m) or 31%
D- Goddard, Hargrave, Carrazzo, Enright, H Shaw, Gilbert ($2.39m) or 30%

You are left with $1.1m in the bank, or $180,000 for each midfield (non-bench) upgrade

So if Dustin Martin, goes up to $250,000 in value at round 3, you add the $180,000 you have reserve for each player upgrade, you then have $430,000 to spend on a midfielder. You do this 6 times, turning your rookies into superstars by round 6 of the DT league.

The downside of course, is you can expect to lose a couple of games between rounds 1-5.

Prospector_1

It's sure worth thinking about!

BGK

The question is, will the go up in value by that much by round 3?

1.   You can't argue that Martin and Barlow are a good chance to do this. But will they all??? Personally, I doubt it. Yes maybe by say round 6 to 8, but not by round 3. They would all need to play every game and average at least 60. I think you would loose more than a few games.

2.   $430 k is not going to get you too many gun midfielders. All the gun Midfielders are closer to 500 k.

Its a little too risky for me, if you decide to do it good luck.

Watto

I agree
This would rely on all of your rookies getting games...and scoring well
Also, that all of your premiums picked elsewhere stay injury-free, otherwise you will be trading them out instead of upgrading the midfield

Paddy13

it is a good idea though! from about rnd 7 onwards you would have 22 premiums, so u would probably win all the rest of ur league games!

u would make top 8, then hopefully win the finals?!?!?!?!?

gerco

Quote from: stevemac on March 09, 2010, 11:40:11 AM
Consider for a moment, your midfield in 2010 is..

Martin, Shuey, Barlow, Banner, Bastinac, Morabito, Trengove, Scully
(with any 2 being on the bench)

A current midfield, depending on your strategy is about $2-2.2 million (about 25% of your salary cap)

By making your midfield all rookies, you are spending $8-900,000 or about 10% of your salary on that area.

Let's assume you're spending $1m on your rucks (something like Sandilands, Kruezer, Warnock, Lobbe)

This leaves about $6m for your forward and defence combined.

For arguments sake, let's say you have Lisle, Davis on your back bench and Rockliff, Podsiadly on your forward bench

You now have a whopping $466,000 to spend on each on-field player.

For example..
F-  Riewoldt, Didak, O'Keefe, Brown, Pavlich, Higgins ($2.52m) or 31%
D- Goddard, Hargrave, Carrazzo, Enright, H Shaw, Gilbert ($2.39m) or 30%

You are left with $1.1m in the bank, or $180,000 for each midfield (non-bench) upgrade

So if Dustin Martin, goes up to $250,000 in value at round 3, you add the $180,000 you have reserve for each player upgrade, you then have $430,000 to spend on a midfielder. You do this 6 times, turning your rookies into superstars by round 6 of the DT league.

The downside of course, is you can expect to lose a couple of games between rounds 1-5.

It's at least a new idea!

I did a team the other day with Gary Ablett Jnr (for captaincy reasons) and the rest rookies; I had Barlow, Martin, Scully, Trengove, Shuey, Bastinc and Jetta.

The only problem (apart from being pounded scoring wise, which isn't an issue if you are only trying to win league) is if you can actually get value with the money you save in other positions?

stevemac

sh!t I've only counted 6 forwards and defenders, not 7.

back to the drawing board...

Prospector_1

OK, but I don't think it wrecks the idea!

stevemac

if anyone wants to compete against this strategy (BMC reserves) the code is 672436. I didnt choose the league name.

jr0ck88

Ive had a simliar strategy in previous years, though Ive done the entire field full of rookies/ bargain buys...this seems like a much smarter way of doing it. Its risky, injuries and non-selection of rookies can hurt you hard, but yeah go for it. You'll find you wont need to (and probably shouldnt) trade until round 8-10. You just have to sit and cross your fingers that you dont drop enough games to miss the 8! (like I have, attempting this)

stevemac

Just a little update on how the teams going. I'll try and keep it brief.
Points-wise it's competing OK and will probably be playing in an Elimination Final in a competitive league. The only problem I have with this strategy is that I'm compelled to make 2 trades to upgrade the midfield on a regular basis, sacrificing other parts of the ground and often copping donuts. IMO its a flawed theory because you cannot pay sufficient attention to other parts of the ground.

I have 4 trades remaining

Master Q

4 trades isn't a problem and you don't have any Injuries or Weak links
(Maybe Shaw), well done!

bundyboy

agree with Q.

at this stage, 4 trades not bad - particularly with the team you have on the field - looks pretty good to me...

how many games did you lose early? and what overall weekly average have you managed to achieve??

stevemac

Only lost in Round 6, 10, 11, 14 & 15 so not too much sacrifice there. Lost those games primarily because of the donuts. ie. Franklin and Brown have been on the field all season with either one or the other copping a 0.

Overall weekly average is 1942 and ranking 26,381.

Roasted Rookies

Ive managed to do ok, with a similar scenario. Other then the last 3 weeks.. Underperforming stars has not helped the case.

I still have 5 trades for the final 5 rounds, and will finish probably 6th or 7th in the league. With an average of 2031.