Cheap as Chips: Midfielders

Started by Jroo, November 18, 2013, 08:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

There will be plenty of discounted and underpriced players for SuperCoach 2014, and I will assess each position for the best value. Here, the best bargain midfielders have been profiled so you know who to look out for over the preseason.

Xavier Ellis
2014 Predicted Price: $115-150k
2013 Average: 21
2013 Games: 2

Why is he cheap? Ellis only played two games in 2013 for an average of 21 points, after yet another injury interrupted year. Expect him to be close to bargain basement price, making him a bargain next year.

2014 Prediction - If Ellis can get his body right, then he is a steal at that price. But I wouldn't count on it, as he's only played 13 home and away games in the last three years, making him unreliable. Watch him over the preseason though, as Ellis could really flourish at his new club and at that price you would have to take a look at him.

Claye Beams
2014 Predicted Price: $150-170k
2013 Average: 40
2013 Games: 2

Why is he cheap? Beams only managed two games in 2013, which will see him receive a big discount next year and make him fantasy relevant.

2014 Prediction - Many were expecting Beams to break out last year, however it was not to be. He is well priced and he should be able to find a spot in the club's best 22 after the recent departures at the Lions and I think he should score more than most rookies, so you would be silly not to consider him.

Dom Tyson
2014 Predicted Price: $160-180k
2013 Average: 44
2013 Games: 3

Why is he cheap? Tyson didn't spend a lot of time on the park in 2013 and as a result he will be cheap in 2014 and one to watch for sure.

2014 Prediction - Melbourne should improve next year under Paul Roos and I'm expecting many of their players to flourish under Roos. Tyson is a good chance to have a break out year and he is cheap. I can see him averaging in the high seventies or low eighties, making him the perfect cash cow.

Andrew Gaff
2014 Predicted Price: $370-380k
2013 Average: 71
2013 Games: 22

Why is he cheap? After coming of a 90 point year in 2012, Gaff was very disappointing in 2013, as his average dropped by nearly 20 points. Gaff struggled to break the tag and nine times he scored 60 points or below.

2014 Prediction - Once Gaff learns how to deal with the tag he will be a super player. He is underpriced and at around $380k he will be a bargain if he can get his average back into the nineties.

Dayne Beams
2014 Predicted Price: $430-440k
2013 Average: 102
2013 Games: 7

Why is he cheap? After a fantastic year in 2012, averaging 123 points, Beams struggled in 2013 with injury but still managed a respectful average of 102. Beams didn't play a lot so he should get a discount, which would put him at a good price.

2014 Prediction - If Beams is priced at under $440k and fit you would have to seriously consider him. I believe he can get back to his 2012 form, or at least close, meaning he's an absolute steal at that price. Watch him over the preseason.

http://www.supercoachhq.com/16/post/2013/11/cheap-as-chips-midfielders.html

Vinny

Dayne Beams = Lock, he is a gun.

Xavier Ellis = Way better options out there, semi-spud, haha.

Claye Beams = Should be considered if cheap enough.

Dom Tyson = Best of the lot bar Dayne Beams, again if cheap enough must be considered.

Andrew Gaff = Good player but too risky to consider until he breaks a tag, he is still young and will be freak one day.

Nice work JRoo :)

Sabretooth Tigers

:) :)
Great work again JROO, as usual. For me just the Beams bros. Curious to know how you think Matt White will go at Port  ??
Cheers and all the best.    ;) ;)

Jroo

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on November 18, 2013, 09:17:16 PM
:) :)
Great work again JROO, as usual. For me just the Beams bros. Curious to know how you think Matt White will go at Port  ??
Cheers and all the best.    ;) ;)
Thanks mate  :D
Yeah I've nearly got D.Beams locked in, will watch Claye.
I like Matty White, but it think he'll be a fwd next year and not a mid. Port didn't recruit him for no reason and it would make no sense to play him as the sub. He's run and carry is pretty damaging and he probably suits the SC scoring system more than DT, so I'd watch him as he scored okay when he wasn't the sub this year.

nrich102

On the Beams' :) Also, Poec is in my team at this point ;) He should make his way into this

Jroo

Quote from: nrich102 on November 18, 2013, 09:22:24 PM
On the Beams' :) Also, Poec is in my team at this point ;) He should make his way into this
:-[ I forgot about Polec. He's one to certainly consider. Thanks for that Nrich  :o

nrich102

Quote from: JROO8 on November 18, 2013, 09:25:11 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on November 18, 2013, 09:22:24 PM
:-[ I forgot about Polec. He's one to certainly consider. Thanks for that Nrich  :o
Haha, no problems Jroo :)

Sabretooth Tigers

_wato

Marc Murphy Jroo? Certainly one to consider also, 4 years of 110+ before last season where he  he copped a few niggling injuries, spent a lot of time forward, and didnt really look like he was running out games all too well. Looks like he was beginning to handle the tag better after Mick had words with him after the Freo game with scores of 92, 102, 98, 130, 132 and 69 (big loss at SCG) to end the year.

I can't fit him at this stage but would love to. People will be thrown off him but I can see so much potential.

Nice write up btw Jroo, well done again mate.

Jroo

Quote from: _wato on November 18, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
Marc Murphy Jroo? Certainly one to consider also, 4 years of 110+ before last season where he  he copped a few niggling injuries, spent a lot of time forward, and didnt really look like he was running out games all too well. Looks like he was beginning to handle the tag better after Mick had words with him after the Freo game with scores of 92, 102, 98, 130, 132 and 69 (big loss at SCG) to end the year.

I can't fit him at this stage but would love to. People will be thrown off him but I can see so much potential.

Nice write up btw Jroo, well done again mate.
Yeah I'm a fan of Murphs, if he can beat the taggers (just like Gaff needs to), he'll be a star. Some good value there.
Thanks mate!

specky92

Quote from: vinny on November 18, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
Dayne Beams = Lock, he is a gun.

Xavier Ellis = Way better options out there, semi-spud, haha.

Claye Beams = Should be considered if cheap enough.

Dom Tyson = Best of the lot bar Dayne Beams, again if cheap enough must be considered.

Andrew Gaff = Good player but too risky to consider until he breaks a tag, he is still young and will be freak one day.

Nice work JRoo :)
get out of my brain vin!  ;) I'm not convinced on Beams though, he's missed a lot of footy and has only tonned up 3 times, GWS last nab cup and Port & Bulldogs in the last 2 rounds of 2012 (both bottom 5 teams) and the Lions don't exactly have a friendly draw pre-bye

Awesome work jroo, keep it up!

Ricochet

MMurphy is the best value of all midfielders this year

ubeaut

Quote from: Ricochet on November 19, 2013, 11:47:03 AM
He was pretty good value this time last year too. Glad I didn't pick him then. What will change? Really tempted but the tag ,the tag!

ubeaut

Also Beams surely is better value based on FP? 50 K cheaper and can score as well?

Ricochet

Quote from: ubeaut on November 19, 2013, 05:25:34 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 19, 2013, 11:47:03 AM
He was pretty good value this time last year too. Glad I didn't pick him then. What will change? Really tempted but the tag ,the tag!
Tag wasn't the issue this year, injury and an unsettled team were.

2009: 112ave
2010: 111
2011: 118
2012: 112
2013: 92

Yes Beams is also up there. Biggest locks of 2014 for me