Main Menu

Fantasy Football Sterotypes

Started by KoopKicka, November 03, 2013, 11:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: vinny on November 04, 2013, 01:46:27 PM
I think it's turned into more nicknames. Yeah Nige is the grammar nazi! Haha
I actually think it's still stereotypes, but instead of fantasy football, the forum. 

Vinny

Yeah fair enough! Didnt mean gramar nazi in a bad way, haha.

Nige

The Nazis weren't good, so I fail to see how calling someone a grammar Nazi can't be meant in a bad way.  ???

Vinny

Hahaha take the nazi out if you want, I just said it cause KB said it. You just correct everyone's grammar and have said you hate it when people make grammar mistakes or spelling mistakes. :P

Holz

Quote from: NigeyS link=topic=87470.msg122670Nazi g1226707 date=1383535921
The Nazis weren't good, so I fail to see how calling someone a grammar Nazi can't be meant in a bad way.  ???

Double negative there nigey,

So I fail to see how calling someone a Grammar nazi can be meant in a good way.

GoLions

Quote from: Holzman on November 04, 2013, 02:44:22 PM
Quote from: NigeyS link=topic=87470.msg122670Nazi g1226707 date=1383535921

Double negative there nigey,

So I fail to see how calling someone a Grammar nazi can be meant in a good way.
Are double negatives bad or something? I don't understand. It still means the exact same thing?

English is not my strongest subject.

Vinny

It's kind of contradicting what you are saying in the same sentence.

eg. He didn't say nothing.

Should be he didnt say anything because he didnt say nothing means that he actually did say something. So that is a double negative if that makes sense.

GoLions

Quote from: vinny on November 04, 2013, 02:49:21 PM
It's kind of contradicting what you are saying in the same sentence.

eg. He didn't say nothing.

Should be he didnt say anything because he didnt say nothing means that he actually did say something. So that is a double negative if that makes sense.
Why would it be "he didn't say anything"
They would mean different things

flower english.

On this note, flammable and inflammable. Both mean the same flowering thing. It makes me want to burn every english dictionary ever.

Vinny

Because anything is showing means it can be anything that has been said. Nothing is well nothing..

If you said he didn't win nothing. That means nothing is what he didnt win. Which means he did win something.

floweeeer so hard to explain, haha.

Yeah that's stupid, Whoever thought of making two words like that were high.

Nige

Y'all don't know that don't shower faze me.  ;)

GoLions

Quote from: vinny on November 04, 2013, 02:55:34 PM
Because anything is showing means it can be anything that has been said. Nothing is well nothing..

If you said he didn't win nothing. That means nothing is what he didnt win. Which means he did win something.

But if I were to say "I didn't win nothing", I would be implying that I did win something, I've just worded it differently. I wouldn't be trying to say that I've won nothing.

This thread needs to be named the "Let's all teach GoLions English" thread

Vinny

Quote from: GoLions16 on November 04, 2013, 03:04:21 PM

But if I were to say "I didn't win nothing", I would be implying that I did win something, I've just worded it differently. I wouldn't be trying to say that I've won nothing.

That is correct. Haha. What do you mean worded differently? How else could you have worded it?

Hahaha.

GoLions

Quote from: vinny on November 04, 2013, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: GoLions16 on November 04, 2013, 03:04:21 PM

That is correct. Haha. What do you mean worded differently? How else could you have worded it?

Hahaha.
Instead of saying "I did win something", I'm wording it differently by saying "I didn't win nothing"

I highly doubt I would ever articulate myself in that way, but this was the example, so I've decided to go with it.

Vinny

Haha yeah but you should be saying "I did win something."

The latter is considered incorrect I think and it sounds colloquial too but I am not sure if its an actual mistake.

Anyway, you know you should use the first one but the second sounds stupid.

Nige

Quote from: vinny on November 04, 2013, 03:19:36 PM
Haha yeah but you should be saying "I did win something."

The latter is considered incorrect I think and it sounds colloquial too but I am not sure if its an actual mistake.

Anyway, you know you should use the first one but the second sounds stupid.
I like how the guy giving English advice is the same fella who continuously said "his" instead of "he's".  ;D