Main Menu

Reviewing the 2013 AFL Season.

Started by Nige, November 03, 2013, 11:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Okay guys... here we go again.

As some would know, I have an assignment where I have to write a magazine article. It has to be 1000-1200 words and it's due tomorrow. Basically, after speaking with Koop last night, I have decided the quickest and easiest thing to do would be a review of the 2013 AFL season.

Basically, I want a few thoughts of what people saw as some of the bigger moments or highlights of the season, as well as some of the darker moments of the year and low points (for clubs, players or even the AFL itself).

I thought of breaking it down either round-by-round or club-by-club, thoughts on this?

Oh... and I also need a clever/good heading/headline and sub-heading if anyone thinks they have an appropriate one.

Vinny

I reckon that's a good idea mate. Maybe a feel good story, biggest improves in Port obviously the Bombers saga being the low point. I'll jump on chat later and try help out :)

specky92

Feel good story could be Staker and Rohan off the top of my head.  :)

Heat break of the season is easily Whitecross for me.n :'(

I'd also review the new technology in the game, Goal reviews ect.

Hey if you got advice from here, would it have to be put in your bibliogrography?

Nige

Quote from: specky92 on November 03, 2013, 11:21:36 AM
Hey if you got advice from here, would it have to be put in your bibliogrography?
I don't think so...  ???

I'm a tad naughty in the sense that I try my best not to reference anything.  :-[ :-X

It's a really bad habit and it's going to catch up with me eventually. I don't really need to reference anything for this assignment though.

My thanks goes out to anyone who gives a serious answer and makes a proper contribution to the discussion.  :)

JBs-Hawks

Nige

specky92

Quote from: NigeyS on November 03, 2013, 11:27:51 AM
I don't think so...  ???

I'm a tad naughty in the sense that I try my best not to reference anything.  :-[ :-X

It's a really bad habit and it's going to catch up with me eventually. I don't really need to reference anything for this assignment though.

My thanks goes out to anyone who gives a serious answer and makes a proper contribution to the discussion.  :)
i suppose, you could almost class it as social media, I wouldn't

I also think there should be a big section on ASADA, how you think they dealtt with it, how it affected the game, were they too harsh? Not harsh enough?

Is demetrio he right man for the job would be an interesting section

Toga

Yeah Staker's goal in the final minutes of his 100th (I think it was) was pretty special for me!

Maybe heartbreak for Freo getting so far but just falling short of their first premiership, Richmond's long road back to the top ending in irony, and maybe the drama surrounding Essendon & Brisbane over the season...

Headline: Triumph, Heartbreak and Drama: The 2013 AFL Season

I took the liberty of finding some stellar photos and captioning them ;)

A feel-good moment: Brent Staker provided AFL fans with a heartwarming memory when he kicked the winning goal against Essendon in his 100th career game.

Heartbreak: Richmond trudges from the field after being knocked out of the finals race by Carlton in their first finals appearance since 2001.

Turmoil: James Hird and his players, who faced much scrutiny from the AFL world this season after the revelation of the club's supplements program.

Nige

Just to update...

Approached it like this.

Team name:
Best Moment:
Low Point:
Best Player:
Emerging Talent:

Due to the word limit (1200), I have to limit each team's review to roughly 66 words (give or take).

I will copy and paste it here when I've finished for people to read, discuss and debate any that need changing. Although, it should be noted these are all my opinion.

Vinny

Great moment I reckon was Essendon's win over West Coast, it had been tough as for the Bombers and you could see how much the win meant be the end. You gotta admire Watson for how he led the club during the year. I hate Essendon but have nothing but respect for Watson. This photo was from the victory after the possibly the most difficult week of the clubs history.

Port also deserve a mention for their turn around after 2013 led by Ken Hinkley. Pretty amazing what they were able to do.

Nige

Who was Collingwood's best player: Swan or Pendles?
Also, their best youngster/emerging talent? Josh Thomas?

Jroo

Quote from: NigeyS on November 03, 2013, 01:48:04 PM
Pendles.
Thomas or maybe Seedsman or Grundy?

Toga

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Toga on November 03, 2013, 01:24:27 PM

Yeah Staker's goal in the final minutes of his 100th (I think it was) was pretty special for me!

Maybe heartbreak for Freo getting so far but just falling short of their first premiership, Richmond's long road back to the top ending in irony, and maybe the drama surrounding Essendon & Brisbane over the season...

Headline: Triumph, Heartbreak and Drama: The 2013 AFL Season

I took the liberty of finding some stellar photos and captioning them ;)

A feel-good moment: Brent Staker provided AFL fans with a heartwarming memory when he kicked the winning goal against Essendon in his 100th career game.

Heartbreak: Richmond trudges from the field after being knocked out of the finals race by Carlton in their first finals appearance since 2001.

Turmoil: James Hird and his players, who faced much scrutiny from the AFL world this season after the revelation of the club's supplements program.

Bit bias :P Richmond were irrelevant in season 2013.

Nige

Quote from: JROO8 on November 03, 2013, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: NigeyS on November 03, 2013, 01:48:04 PM
Pendles.
Thomas or maybe Seedsman or Grundy?

Quote from: Toga on November 03, 2013, 01:59:53 PM
Yeah Pendles & Grundy for mine!

Pendles sounds good.

Seedy played games in 2012, which is why I didn't include him. Thought of Marley Williams as an option. Grundy was good, but only started playing towards the end of the season whereas Thomas played more and had some very good games.