Main Menu

2014 ladder predictions

Started by quinny88, November 01, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 09, 2014, 02:05:29 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 08, 2014, 07:31:35 PM
I think this week just proves that the Bombers and the Crows are very much not top 8 sides.

Only 7 teams will be able to make an impact in September anyway, with Gold Coast, Essendon and Adelaide more or less making up the numbers

Gold Coast can be dangerous, the Swans are arguably the best team in the comp at the moment and it was poor kicking at goal that kept them out of the game. If they can manage to get a home final against someone like Collingwood I can see them causing an upset in September.

I'm not really convinced with the game vs. Sydney, given they were able to pretty much completely restrict Tippett, Franklin or Goodes to any goals but were still a good 30 points away for most of the match.

They'll make the 8, but I can see them getting cleaned up a few times in the next 4 weeks

Mat0369

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 09, 2014, 02:30:46 PM
I'm not really convinced with the game vs. Sydney, given they were able to pretty much completely restrict Tippett, Franklin or Goodes to any goals but were still a good 30 points away for most of the match.

They'll make the 8, but I can see them getting cleaned up a few times in the next 4 weeks

Kicking 6.13 to 13.4 in the first 3 quarters also doesn't help. I don't think they are one of the elite teams yet (Swans, Hawks, Port and maybe Freo), but I think they are good enough to beat a few of the other sides they play. The next two weeks will be huge for them with the Eagles in Perth and Cats at home. If they can win both they will be looking pretty good, win one and should see them hold ground, lost both and they might slide out of the 8 towards the end of the season.

Noz

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 09, 2014, 02:05:29 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 08, 2014, 07:31:35 PM
Quote from: Noz on June 08, 2014, 09:51:21 PM
Im not?

Steve Johnson is playing poor football
Joel Selwood played 1 quarter on friday night
James Kelly is the one thats winning their games

My mate is a Cats supporter, I was having a conversation with him about Geelong a couple of weeks back (before the Swans game), their key position playing stocks are seriously thin. Up forward they have Hawkins and nothing, they lose Lonergan down back and they are screwed. Look at the age of most of their key contributors and they are all 30 plus (Selwood, Tomahawk and Taylor the exceptions). When their top end players are down on form like Johnson and Selwood they have no one that takes a game over in the midfield. Enright is on the decline, Bartel and Kelly might not have long left, they are likely to win quite a few games to close out the season but I think they will struggle against the elite teams. Do not be surprised if GC knock them off in two weeks time.

Exactly their lack of depth is poor. The Geelong dominant era is done they will win close games but gone are the glory days.

Bill Manspeaker

1. Port
2. Sydney
3. Hawks
4. Freo
5. North
6. Cats
7. Pies
8. Gold Coast
9. Essendon
10. Adelaide
11. Richmond
12. Carlton
13. West Coast
14. Dogs
15. Melbourne
16. Lions
17. Saints
18. GWS

just done it really quick, didn't do any margins or anything. that's what I got. also ended up with Port vs Sydney in the Grand Final

Mailman the 2nd

Without Watson I can't see Essendon winning many of the 50/50 games they have down the track

Mat0369

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 10, 2014, 12:19:14 AM
Without Watson I can't see Essendon winning many of the 50/50 games they have down the track

Yup. I think the Dees could even be a tough one for them this week. GWS pushed the Bombers from what I heard and now no Watson might make that one from a 65/35 to a 50/50.

elephants

Mat0369

elephants

Mat0369

You can trade it to us for Kane Lucas :P

Nige

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 10, 2014, 02:46:22 PM
You can trade it to us for Kane Lucas :P
Could have offered Bootsma as well if he wasn't sacked.

elephants

Haha, have our fourth rounder for Lucas ;)

SydneyRox

Quote from: elephants on June 10, 2014, 02:52:30 PM

Yup. Eagles overpay every time!!

Vinny

JJK for Lucas you ask? Sure!

Welcome back Joshy!!

elephants

Quote from: SydneyRox on June 10, 2014, 06:11:52 PM
Quote from: elephants on June 10, 2014, 02:52:30 PM

Yup. Eagles overpay every time!!

I'm just evening up the ledger for the pantsing we gave em in the Judd deal ;)