Main Menu

2014 ladder predictions

Started by quinny88, November 01, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Crows premiership contenders? wtf. no way, gl making the 8. Also gl getting 60 thoushand members, however I do hope that does get achieved. :)

Who the hell called Port premiership contenders?! No way, as I have been saying ever since the AFL season ended, Port won't be playing finals next year. There is a bright future for the group of players, but they did overachieve in 2013, and most importantly, there was no pressure on Port last year, they played with no care and all freedom and excitement, and that's what led them into the semi finals. In 2014, there will be expectatino on Port to make finals, from the Adelaide media, which loves to pick on Port for every little thing. I hope to see Port sneak into the finals, and if they do so, last year's brilliant effort under pressure might see them play with that carefree attitude again, which could allow us to get to a semi final again.

There is one other point that I think was very very very important to Port success this year. The ability to keep the best 22 on the park. I believe that there were about 3-4 wins that Port won in 2013 because they had their best players available, and the opposition didn't. (WC, 2nd Showdown two examples) When Trengove and Pittard went down after 5 rounds, the gaps showed, and games that we weren't meant to lose we did, showing how we need the bes tplayers available all the time. Darren Burgess was very important in that regard, but it'll be interesting to see whether Port stays injury free in 2014 too. If they can, that'll go a long way to making finals again.

tl;dr? Port need to be injury free and play with the same attitude to make finals again, and I hope they do! :D
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

GoLions

Quote from: noto07 on December 23, 2013, 02:06:58 PM
Brisbane will finish 14th. No way can they finish above Adelaide, Wce, GC. There forward line is non existent and back line is weak. They will be okay in 3-4 years but need to do some serious recruiting.
How is Merrett, Patfull, Goose, Adcock, Golby, Clarke a weak backline? And possibly with Hanley running off the HBF as well.
Forward line will be a bit unsettled to begin with but can see it really coming together towards the back half of the season.

And I'm pretty sure we did some amazing drafting this year.

Toga

Very well said PB, he's got his head screwed on the right way! 8)

The_Captain

Quote from: GoLions16 on December 23, 2013, 02:48:50 PM
Brisbane will finish 14th. No way can they finish above Adelaide, Wce, GC. There forward line is non existent and back line is weak. They will be okay in 3-4 years but need to do some serious recruiting.
How is Merrett, Patfull, Goose, Adcock, Golby, Clarke a weak backline? And possibly with Hanley running off the HBF as well.
Forward line will be a bit unsettled to begin with but can see it really coming together towards the back half of the season.

Still waiting for you to mention a decent player in that backline.. All of them all old and the ones who arent struggle. Hanley is decent, but thats about it.

Yeah got some good picks this year, but thats due to you losing so many 2nd-3 year players which will hurt and piush your rebuilding back another year or 2 i reckon.

GoLions

Quote from: noto07 on December 23, 2013, 02:53:01 PM

Still waiting for you to mention a decent player in that backline.. All of them all old and the ones who arent struggle. Hanley is decent, but thats about it.

Yeah got some good picks this year, but thats due to you losing so many 2nd-3 year players which will hurt and piush your rebuilding back another year or 2 i reckon.
Old != Weak

Yes in a few years some of them will have retired, but at the moment they're still doing well. Adcock still has a fair bit left, Clarke looks like he'll be a great defender, Golby is coming along really good as well. And we also drafted a few defenders who will get some games over the next 2 years and be ready for when Sauce/Goose/Patfull retire.

Holz

Quote from: GoLions16 on December 23, 2013, 02:56:05 PM

Old != Weak

Yes in a few years some of them will have retired, but at the moment they're still doing well. Adcock still has a fair bit left, Clarke looks like he'll be a great defender, Golby is coming along really good as well. And we also drafted a few defenders who will get some games over the next 2 years and be ready for when Sauce/Goose/Patfull retire.

you have alot of good rebounders but in terms of stopping ability not sure it stacks up to the top 8 clubs.

GoLions

Quote from: Holzman on December 23, 2013, 03:05:42 PM

Old != Weak

you have alot of good rebounders but in terms of stopping ability not sure it stacks up to the top 8 clubs.
I don't think we are a top 8 club, but I also don't think our backline is weak.

The_Captain

Quote from: GoLions16 on December 23, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Old != Weak

Weak may not be the word for it. But it is the backline of a bottom 6 side.

Ringo

Quote from: noto07 on December 23, 2013, 03:14:10 PM
Quote from: GoLions16 on December 23, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Old != Weak

Weak may not be the word for it. But it is the backline of a bottom 6 side.

Keep under rating Brisbanes back line at your peril.  It is a settled back line and apart from when sauce was injured and suspended we held our own against most teams. Patful is rarely beaten and the most under rated player in my opinion and he has only just recently been rated by club members themselves winning Best and Fairest now 2 years straight.
I would back our back six against most teams in the competition.

However I agree our forwards are the issue but I also believe that given a fair run this year Lisle and Paine will cement positions with Michael Close also putting his hand up. paporone after a years development also showing good signs.

For the record also I believe we will finish above both Adelaide and Gold Coast in 10th or 11th place.

With the recruitment we have done as well and do not see us losing 2 years because of the "Mummies Boys" as the players recruited appear ready to play McStay and gardner will easily slot into back line if necessary early. Harwood the equal of or better than Docherty, Clarke shades Yeo, Mayes easily beats Karnezis, Aish will be better than Polec but the only real loss is Longer but West will cover that gap while Micheal and Smith continue to develop. So that is not including draftees Gardner, McStay, Cutler, Robertson and Taylor and through on the rookie pick of O'Brien as well.

Yes I am loving it with you guys underestimating Brisbane and the only thing that will stop Brisbane finishing higher is the draw which i have highlighted and it is common opinion that Brisbane have the hardest draw of all this season confirmed by the AFL writers around the country, (For starter no bottom 10 team has 6 matches against this years Top 4 most only have the 4)

Jroo

Quote from: Toga on December 23, 2013, 02:48:59 PM
+1, good to see you're realistic.

quinny88

Quote from: JROO8 on December 23, 2013, 03:38:17 PM

He must be a Victorian posing as a Port supporter because only Victorians don't think port or Adelaide can win the flag

Ringo

Read my post Q where I said the premiers will come from the Top 5 I listed and I am not a victorian and Port are not in the Top 5

PowerBug

Quote from: quinny88 on December 23, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on December 23, 2013, 03:38:17 PM

He must be a Victorian posing as a Port supporter because only Victorians don't think port or Adelaide can win the flag
shower, I thought no one would ever find out my true identity :|
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

quinny88

Quote from: Ringo on December 23, 2013, 04:10:17 PM
Read my post Q where I said the premiers will come from the Top 5 I listed and I am not a victorian and Port are not in the Top 5

I was only being sarcastic Ringo, haha

The_Captain

To set it straight:

Fre
Haw
Syd
Gee
Rich
Kang
Coll
Ess
Port