Main Menu

2014 ladder predictions

Started by quinny88, November 01, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Ricochet on November 14, 2013, 06:03:22 PM
Quote from: whatlez on November 14, 2013, 05:48:23 PM
And Ric Pies at 25% is stiff...
Lol hardly. Pies have added Adams, White, Karnezis to their starting 22 while only losing Shaw from their 2013 side (Thomas hardly played). Both squads will improve and develop but I don't see GC improving enough to be at the same level as the Pies just yet. Collingwood will still be strong again. The game GC won this year was clearly an upset... Pies butchered the ball and didn't tag Ablett. I don't expect it to happen again in 2014
Who will tag Ablett?

Ricochet

Quote from: whatlez on November 14, 2013, 06:17:06 PM
Lol hardly. Pies have added Adams, White, Karnezis to their starting 22 while only losing Shaw from their 2013 side (Thomas hardly played). Both squads will improve and develop but I don't see GC improving enough to be at the same level as the Pies just yet. Collingwood will still be strong again. The game GC won this year was clearly an upset... Pies butchered the ball and didn't tag Ablett. I don't expect it to happen again in 2014
Who will tag Ablett?
Who's Pies' tagger mate...

The_Captain

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 14, 2013, 03:56:25 PM
Gold Coast have 15 winnable games (with Essendon/Carlton being unlikely) so its certainly feasible that they could win over 10 games

Really? But then you need to ask yourself, define winnable. Technically 1% chance of winning is winnable. Confident they wont make the 8.

Vinny

Quote from: Ricochet on November 14, 2013, 06:18:43 PM
Who will tag Ablett?

MACAAAFFEEERRR

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: noto07 on November 14, 2013, 06:25:42 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 14, 2013, 03:56:25 PM
Gold Coast have 15 winnable games (with Essendon/Carlton being unlikely) so its certainly feasible that they could win over 10 games

Really? But then you need to ask yourself, define winnable. Technically 1% chance of winning is winnable. Confident they wont make the 8.

Winnable as in over 30% chance of winning

Ziplock

I dont know if gc will make the 8, but I can see them beating a reasonable number of top 8 teams and flowering with the ladder :P

stew42

Quote from: vinny on November 14, 2013, 06:29:50 PM
Who will tag Ablett?

MACAAAFFEEERRR
Haha, good one.

Fantasygun

Quote from: Ziplock on November 14, 2013, 08:35:48 PM
I dont know if gc will make the 8, but I can see them beating a reasonable number of top 8 teams and flowering with the ladder :P

That's so  flowering true.

Ricochet

Quote from: stew42 on November 14, 2013, 09:08:27 PM
Quote from: vinny on November 14, 2013, 06:29:50 PM
Who will tag Ablett?

MACAAAFFEEERRR
Haha, good one.
Jack 16 possies and JPK to 18 both times he's played Swans.

Not saying Macaffer would keep Ablett completely quiet but he would simply limit his output.. compared to letting him get 49 and kick 2 goals.

If Bucks sent Macaffer to Ablett from the first bounce... Pies would have won

Mailman the 2nd

More resources used on Ablett the more potential for the other kids to do a lot better.

Its not as if not tagging Ablett was a radical concept that will never be seen again, teams do head to head match-ups like that all the time. As much as I'd like to think it, JPK and Jack are unlike Ablett as he is pretty much just a monster in general.

If he gets tagged, who knows what damage Bennell, Swallow, Prestia, O'Meara and co. could do...

Ricochet

1 resource... in Macaffer. You can't say that if Macaffer moves from McKenzie to Ablett in that game that McKenzie would have the same influence as Ablett surely ::)

Obviously its all hypotheticals but a 49possie, 2 goal game compared to say a 35possie 1 goal game would probably mean Pies win.
Not only could he do what he want and kick two goals off his own back, but think about how many scoring plays he set up/was apart of within those 49 possies.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Ricochet on November 15, 2013, 02:36:31 PM
1 resource... in Macaffer. You can't say that if Macaffer moves from McKenzie to Ablett in that game that McKenzie would have the same influence as Ablett surely ::)

Obviously its all hypotheticals but a 49possie, 2 goal game compared to say a 35possie 1 goal game would probably mean Pies win.
Not only could he do what he want and kick two goals off his own back, but think about how many scoring plays he set up/was apart of within those 49 possies.

Not to be rude, but if Macaffer was the only resource used to stop Ablett, the difference in the result of the game = 0

Of course Buckley won't leave Ablett untagged next year, because he'll cop huge flak if he does it again but he made the right decision.

a Ablett vs Pendlebury/Swan matchup is way better than a Macaffer vs Ablett matchup.

Its how Chris Judd got shutdown at Carlton when he first came over, as hard nuts like Kieren Jack just wrecked him head to head

Ricochet

Yeh obviously the rest of the team help Macaffer but he is actually an effective tagger. Can't really say his effect on Ablett would be zero. Bucks literally let Ablett do what ever he wanted.
I'm not saying putting a tag on GAJ would completely shut him down because it won't, he's too good. But sending a tagger to him and limiting him to 30odd possies instead of 50 would probably win them the game when it was only a few points.

Vinny

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 15, 2013, 02:43:40 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 15, 2013, 02:36:31 PM

Not to be rude, but if Macaffer was the only resource used to stop Ablett, the difference in the result of the game = 0

Of course Buckley won't leave Ablett untagged next year, because he'll cop huge flak if he does it again but he made the right decision.

a Ablett vs Pendlebury/Swan matchup is way better than a Macaffer vs Ablett matchup.

Its how Chris Judd got shutdown at Carlton when he first came over, as hard nuts like Kieren Jack just wrecked him head to head

Yeah and that was when he realised he was just a complete beast of a human and decided to destroy the AFL. ;)

Mailman the 2nd

Think the jury's still out on that one vinny :P