Main Menu

2014 ladder predictions

Started by quinny88, November 01, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasygun

Probably best prediction I've seen.

Jay

Lol at some people predicting Adelaide to finish 17th ::) we won't be great this year, but top 8 is still a definite possibility. Watch out in 2015 with a fully fit Tex Walker 8)

Ziplock

Haha, there's no way adelaide will finish 17th. I don't see them finishing at the bottom of the ladder, but imo they'll go like 14th-10th

Mat0369

On the topic of Carlton earlier, they need a really strong draft otherwise they have gone backwards this off-season. The guys like Judd, Scotty, Waite, Simmo and Carrots have gotten a year older, they have lost key components in Betts and Laids (although Malthouse wouldn't play him) and they have a bunch of guys they need to perform coming off either season ending injuries or off season surgeries (Murph, Carrots, Watson, I'll throw Waite in since he is always injured). Yeah they beat Richmond in the finals, but this is a team that wasn't good enough to make the 8 in the first place and struggled under this new game style. Either Malthouse adjusts his game plan (which he won't) or Carlton aren't going to be much different this coming year then they were the last (9-12 range). They only really seemed to excel as a team when being behind by a margin and then be allowed to play with freedom through the guts which is completely against Malthouse's philosophy. They were then able to come back from these margins (Port in round 23, Richmond in the first final) and win these games in the end.

The recruits haven't impressed me. Daisy is likely to miss the whole season from some reports and they just broke the bank to sign him, Docherty is supposed to be a gun but how much of him not playing in the Brisbane side was based on his own performances and how much was Voss? He did look good when I watched him play so hopefully we can put it down to Voss among other things and that move works out. Everitt had a choice to come to Carlton when he first went to the Swans and passed it up, he is a pretty average player and he had a lot of support at the Swans when he was playing in the back half from Richards, McVeigh, Malceski and co. This won't happen at Carlton and I honestly see him struggling to make the 22 if he is asked to play as a 3rd tall. Although he is a big guy I have never really seen him as someone really good overhead. Plus they lost Hampson who must will say is a spud, but considering how injury prone Warnock and Kreuz have been, the next two rucks on the list are Rowe and Casboult (who is a forward). If one or both go down, which is a possibility, they are screwed unless they target a ruck in the draft. Ruck and KPD are the two positions of real need assuming they plan on shifting Hendo forward which fills that need.

Quote from: specky92 on November 02, 2013, 02:11:24 PM
Can't help but notice Carlton are rated 16th in the comp for disposals per game

The game plan they run means they were never going to have a high amount of disposals per game. It is not a high possession game style kicking long along the boundary and does not exactly correlate to having midfield depth issues. Their midfield is fine, they can bat pretty deep, the problem is that these mids are consistently played out of position deep in the back or forward line for extended periods of time. Guys like Walker, Simpson, Robbo, Yarran, Murphy, Brock and even Judd were used for extended periods of time deep in the forward or back half. Everyone then jumped on the bandwagon that they have no depth in the guts but when your best mids aren't even in there and you have guys like Curnow, Cachia and Armfield are lining up in the center square for the majority of quarters while Robbo, Walker, Simmo and co don't even get a look in, of course your midfield is going to look worse then it is. They have also got a couple of good kids who are going to push for games next year in Bell and Graham, throw in Buckley if he can get a good run at it, he is a player in the mold of Kade Simpson.

Quote from: specky92 on November 02, 2013, 02:53:36 PM
Surely GWS could of used a guy like Jamison?

Also there was no chance the were trading Jamo. If Watson can come in and hold down a KPD spot then that will allow Hendo to swing forward. If they trade Jamison not only does that screw them in terms of KPD depth since they now basically have Hendo, Jamison and Watson. After them there is pretty much no one else since they let Laidler walk and the other 3 guys are only really good as 3rd talls in Duigan, McInnes and Simon White. I don't think any Carlton supporter wants to see Josh Bootsma as the full back.

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 02, 2013, 03:12:20 PM

Warnock + Kreuzer is a strong combo, especially when one goes up forward and Waite is pretty decent. Now that the overrated Betts is gone, Yarran and Garlett have a chance to really shine with Thomas attracting attention.

The problem with this is neither are really good forwards. Kreuz has only had one game as a forward where he played well, that was in his first season and he had Fev drawing all the attention. Where Kreuz is most valuable is running through the ruck and being able to cause a contest at ground level. Warnock is pretty much useless around the ground, he gets his hand on the ball but he does nothing in terms of providing a contest elsewhere.

Also Eddie isn't overrated. Take away this year where he had some injury issues and missed games (plus the apparent rift with Malthouse), he has kicked 48, 50 and 42 goals as a small forward. That is elite from a position that is not one of great consistency. Eddie going does give Troy Menzel an opportunity to cement himself in the 22. You still don't want Yarran playing deep forward as his most dangerous position is up the ground running towards goal and delivering to his teammates.

If you want a real smokey of someone that is going to make the 8, Gold Coast should push this season.

Also Adelaide are nowhere near as bad as some of you are making out, they should bounce back with the return of Tex and the additions of Pods and Betts. Where the Crows struggled last season was kicking a winning score and getting the ball through the middle when Tex went out. They also lacked a good crumbing forward, getting Betts should help that. They gain midfield depth back with Danger no longer required to play as a lead up forward, Sloane stepped up and Douglas returned to B&F form. Some of their kids showed some good signs as well

I was playing around with my ladder earlier, it is still way to early to be doing this but I will put some reasons next to some of the positions I have teams listed. Injuries are going to play a huge part in where teams finish.

1. Sydney - It will come down to injuries but I think getting Buddy and Laidler as well as all the guys that were injured last season back pushes them to the top
2. Freo - It will depend on how they travel
3. Hawks - Big Boy addition could see them finish anywhere from 1st-3rd
4. Ess - I hate the Bombers, but before they knew they were playing for nothing they kept winning. Unless they have an end of year collapse they have shown the ability to be top 4
5. Geel - Can finish anywhere from 4th to 7th. I think it all depends on the health of the Tomahawk. The biggest loss for them is Pods. He was their safety, they need Kersten to be really good next year or their KPF could be in serious trouble.
6. Port - Natural improvement should see them be top 8 again, although if a team is to bomb out with second year blues like the Crows did last year, Port is that team
7. North - lost a ton of close games last season and I think might struggle early in the season without Swallow. They should finish in the 8, but this is another team I can see busting. It depends on if they really are chokers or if they will finally be the real deal
8. Collingwood - Their midfield might be able to carry them through to 8th next season
9. GC - I think it is between them and the Pies for 8th
10 Rich - Mental scars of losing to 9th sees them not make finals. Honestly though I don't see them better then any of the top 8 other then Collingwood if Port keep improving. Plus it is about time Gold Coast burst out and it could be at the expense of the Tigers in the 8
11 Adel - I think they can push for 8th but it depends on how Port, Collingwood and North go through the year
12 Carl - I still think it depends on how Malthouse adjusts his game plan on if Carlton will be a finals side.
13 Bulldogs - It will depend on how the kids keep developing, but they are building a quality side
14 Eagles - I don't think they are good enough for the 8, they have a bit of talent on the list still, but the guys that helped take them to top 4 a couple of years back are declining and the kids aren't standing up yet
15 Bris - Shocking off season, but the guys that left, not many of them played a huge role in their surge up the ladder late in the year. IF Rocky plays in the guts all year like he is supposed to, they could easily finish higher
16 Melb - they shouldn't get blown out anymore with Roos coach. this year is all about development for Melbourne so 16th won't be too bad as long as they are competative and win 5+ games
17 Saints - tank mode is on
18 GWS

nrich102

1. Freo
2. Hawthorn
3. Richmond
4. Geelong
5. Sydney
6. Essendon
7. Collingwood
8. Gold Coast
9. North Melbourne
10. Port
11. Carlton
12. Brisbane
13. Adelaide
14. West Coast
15. Bulldogs
16. GWS
17. St Kilda
18. Melbourne

Grand Final: Geelong Vs Freo
Premiers: Freo
Brownlow: TOM ROCKLIFF
Coleman: Buddy Franklin

PowerBug

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 02, 2013, 10:23:46 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on November 02, 2013, 10:10:59 PM
Hmmm, two people have also picked the player I'm expecting to win the brownlow (in a landslide to btw). Maybe I should find someone else then? :P

Who are you picking PB? :P
Well three now with the post after my question. Dangerfield.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Vinny

Danger, Selwood, Cotchin or Rocky. Swallow too, if he played the whole year.

Ziplock

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: PowerBug on November 03, 2013, 10:57:30 AM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 02, 2013, 10:23:46 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on November 02, 2013, 10:10:59 PM
Hmmm, two people have also picked the player I'm expecting to win the brownlow (in a landslide to btw). Maybe I should find someone else then? :P

Who are you picking PB? :P
Well three now with the post after my question. Dangerfield.

I think he'll probably end up breaking his back halfway through the season trying to carry Adelaide

quinny88

Surprised anyone could not have the tiges in the 8 with our fixture.
Finished 5th last year with a tougher fixture and our best players are all getting better

TheAnt

Quote from: quinny88 on November 03, 2013, 05:02:00 PM
Finished 5th last year with a tougher fixture and our best players are all getting better
Apparently we're going to have mental scars and the 6th youngest list in the comp won't improve  ::)

Nige

Quote from: TheAnt on November 03, 2013, 06:02:20 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on November 03, 2013, 05:02:00 PM
Apparently we're going to have mental scars and our the 6th youngest list in the comp won't improve  ::)
I lol'd a little.

TheAnt

1. Fremantle
2. Hawthorn
3. Geelong
4. Richmond
5. Sydney
6.Collingwood
7. Adelaide
8. West Coast
9. North Melbourne
10. Port Adelaide
11. Essendon
12. Gold Coast
13. Dogs
14. Carlton
15. Brisbane
16. Melbourne
17. GWS
18. St.Kilda

GF: Freo v Geelong
Premiers- Geelong
Coleman- Riewoldt
Brownlow- GAJ to go back to back

Sydney I think could fall as far to 8th in my predictions if they get a few injuries. Their depth has taken a serious hit, and if Pyke goes down they're going to struggle. Carlton are where they are only because not many of their players have serious upside and have peaked or on the decline as other teams around the Blues have about 8-9 players who look like they'll take serious step forwards next year. Adelaide are where they are for now but if it comes through that Walker is going to come back closer towards rounds 8-9 I see Port/North surpassing them. Richmond's position will be dependant on them getting off to a 2-0 start as opposed to a 0-2 start v Bogey teams. I suspect Essendon will fall in a heap come round 15 proving many lols, or the ASADA report could come earlier and see them finish even lower. I want to put Melbourne up towards 12-13 but don't have the balls for it. Not yet.

Jroo

Quote from: TheAnt on November 03, 2013, 06:12:23 PM
1. Fremantle
2. Hawthorn
3. Geelong
4. Richmond
5. Sydney
6.Collingwood
7. Adelaide
8. West Coast
9. North Melbourne
10. Port Adelaide
11. Essendon
12. Gold Coast
13. Dogs
14. Carlton
15. Brisbane
16. Melbourne
17. GWS
18. St.Kilda

GF: Freo v Geelong
Premiers- Geelong
Coleman- Riewoldt
Brownlow- GAJ to go back to back

Sydney I think could fall as far to 8th in my predictions if they get a few injuries. Their depth has taken a serious hit, and if Pyke goes down they're going to struggle. Carlton are where they are only because not many of their players have serious upside and have peaked or on the decline as other teams around the Blues have about 8-9 players who look like they'll take serious step forwards next year. Adelaide are where they are for now but if it comes through that Walker is going to come back closer towards rounds 8-9 I see Port/North surpassing them. Richmond's position will be dependant on them getting off to a 2-0 start as opposed to a 0-2 start v Bogey teams. I suspect Essendon will fall in a heap come round 15 proving many lols, or the ASADA report could come earlier and see them finish even lower. I want to put Melbourne up towards 12-13 but don't have the balls for it. Not yet.
Nice, you still reckon Jroo will win the Coleman even though Dimma said he'll play up the ground?

Vinny

14th? Seriously man, come on. I guess it's your opinion though..