2014 SC Rico's Boys v1.0

Started by Ricochet, October 29, 2013, 11:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benno123

Some similarities to my squad actually, in terms of structure and some players. Like the look of it Rico, one thing I would change is swing caddy into the fwds for Karni, then trade him out for a midfield rookie. That's just my opinion, and you may have done that strategically for a F/M DPP link.

Anthonyyyy

Rico have a look at my new team and tell me your thoughts mate :)

Vinny

Looking good Ric, like it much better than the first team.

Interesting pick there with Caddy but you obviously have some thinking behind it. Lots of midpricers in the forward line, little risky. Karny won't get early games I don't think maybe trade him for Taylor or something or just whichever rookie pops up Round 1. Then with that cash, Sandi to Goldy/Minson. Just a suggestion, up to you though. :)

Ricochet

Quote from: Ricochet on December 15, 2013, 02:50:02 PM
Have changed my team way too many times in the past 3 days, but new ideas keeping flowing in.
My #1 rule this year was to capitalise on underpriced players,
a) if they're pricing severely is sub affected so it is obvious they are a 10-15pt or 100k+ better player then that screams value.
b) they are coming of injuries and discounts.

These are the reasons for picking Birchall, Suckling, Waters, Murphy, DBeams, CBeams, DThomas, NIcNat, Sandi, Chappy, Buddy, Higgins, Clark, Karny, Ellis and now Caddy.

Notes:
- Cotchin to Caddy. Caddy brought in for reasons detailed before. Priced at 60 and went 75 unsubbed. Immediately 100k under priced and screams breakout. Savage was also considered.
- Lloyd to Karnezis/Bock/Fasolo at F6. Whoever is named round 1 and looks like staying away from vest. All three have potential and are extremely under priced.
- Crouch to Ellis. Added JS if fit and should score well.

And From Last Time:
- Trying to also focus on a couple of dpp links with Rocky in Mids and NicNat up fwd (McBean in rucks). Caddy now provides link
- Trying to load at the back end of the byes with premos and value/rookie players and then trade for R8 premo's during bye period. Obviously some rookies won't play right up to and through byes but think Sheed, Martin, Dunstan, Hogan, Michie, Tyson can.
- Still waiting on progress updates on Bock
- Sandi, Bock, Waters, Chappy, all risky and need to be fit through preseason
- Real focus on under priced premo's
- A lot of underpriced premos and value in rookies in the midfield.
- Also considering:
     Josh Caddy. Priced at 60 with all his vest games. Went 75 unsubbed meaning he should be about 410k (currently 325k). Screams of breakout as well. Brought in
     Longer at 279k instead of Sandi if he isn't ready round 1.
     Hurley at 375k is priced at 69. Went 78 unsubbed and has produced 85 before.
     TWalker when he gets up and going. Only 299k.
     Karny at 229k. Pies went after him and said he could be an elite midfielder. Will wait and see where he plays first.
     Bock at 196k. Job Security the main reason here. Can also produce premo numbers.
     Darley at 282k and Docherty at 285k. New clubs meaning job security and Darley is an absolute ball magnet. Not confident with D6 so want to find some extra cash for either.
     Hurn is priced at 472k and 87. Went 95 unsubbed and has been premo before. Strongly considering instead on Hanley. Especially considering WCE early draw

Looking for replacements for Waters.

Considering DSwallow, RHenderson, Hansen or Hurn

ben_020285

I would strongly consider switching Waters to Grimes. He is over his niggling injury issues and having a good pre-season. He will be back to his SC friendly role off half-back this year too. I'm expecting an average of at least 95 from him this year.

Get rid of Higgins. He is made of glass and just not worth wasting a trade on him when he gets injured, which will happen.

I reckon you need at least one more premium in there too so you should think about downgrading Caddy or Karnezis to a bottom priced rookie and bringing in a gun at the expense of Higgins.

Ricochet

Yeh I agree there is risk involved with Higgins but 250k for a guy that can score like a premo is too good of value.

shaker

Forward line pos. 3, 4 , 5, 6 are quite risky , caddy a luxury in the mids same with ellis money to be saved there , personally I would be putting it into one more quality forward cheers

MTTY

DEF:
- Good solid premium picks, very unique. However I feel as though McVeigh will be the essential defender this year in SC.
- Suckling an essential pick at that price.
- As for a Waters replacement I believe Jack Grimes or Paul Seedsmen could be good fits. Both should play SC friendly roles as an attacking half back.
- Fairly good rookie picks. Just can't see Battersby getting games.

MID:
- Ablett and Rockliff good premium picks.
- Murphy, Beams and Thomas all great value picks.
- Not a fan of having a premium or midpriced DPP in the midfield.
- I think if you're going to pick Caddy then pick him as a forward.
- Rookies are all solid.

RUCKS:
- Good premium picks.
- Nankervis a good pick, given Sydney's lack of ruck depth.
- Not a fan of the Lobb pick, don't believe he'll play much.

FWD:
- Solid premium choices, Chappy a good unique.
- Higgins and Clark both good value picks.
- Not a fan of Karnezis, doubt he'll play much for the Pies.
- Good rookies choices.

Ricochet

Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback. These are my reasonings to some of the concerns

DEF:
- Good solid premium picks, very unique. However I feel as though McVeigh will be the essential defender this year in SC. I have gone with underpriced value across the board and even though McVeigh is a gun that I want in my side ASAP, I don't see him improving his average so he is one of my first upgrade targets. Just gonna wait for a poor game or two and a slight drop in price.
- Suckling an essential pick at that price. Agreed
- As for a Waters replacement I believe Jack Grimes or Paul Seedsmen could be good fits. Both should play SC friendly roles as an attacking half back. I have been looking at both, along with DSwallow, Hansen, RHenderson and Hurn. Leaning towards JGrimes, RHenderson or DSwallow at this stage
- Fairly good rookie picks. Just can't see Battersby getting games. Yeh he's only there to fill the spot for now. Looking at Aylett and Edwards also who Bomber has said are looking good so far.

MID:
- Ablett and Rockliff good premium picks.
- Murphy, Beams and Thomas all great value picks.
- Not a fan of having a premium or midpriced DPP in the midfield. I think the benefits are there. I started with a rookie link last year and as soon as I started upgrading/downgrading I lost that link and was caught out through the byes. Caddy is already 100k underpriced through vests and I think he can improve again so I'm pretty confident on this pick and where I have put him.
- I think if you're going to pick Caddy then pick him as a forward.
- Rookies are all solid.

RUCKS:
- Good premium picks.
- Nankervis a good pick, given Sydney's lack of ruck depth.
- Not a fan of the Lobb pick, don't believe he'll play much. Have seen a lot of Lobb in the WAFL and he will be a genuine gun. Agree he is still pretty raw and has Mummy and Giles ahead of him but he is already AFL size so he might get a gig. Easily swapped to the best available rook though.

FWD:
- Solid premium choices, Chappy a good unique.
- Higgins and Clark both good value picks.
- Not a fan of Karnezis, doubt he'll play much for the Pies. Yeh I think I mentioned in my reasoning before that F6 will be Karny/Fasolo/Bock. Basically whoever is looking good round 1. Otherwise can easily drop down to a rookie also.

Thanks again mate, love the feedback
- Good rookies choices.

GCSkiwi

Like the strategy you're going with Ricochet, and you have a solid team to play that way. A few risky picks which I can see your reasoning for, only pick I have real issues with: Murphy. I understand he's underpriced but I really don't see him a) turning into keeper or b) earning enough cash to make trading him worth it. Murphy struggled against a tag and I see nothing that makes me think he's sorted that issue out, he played 21 games last year for an overall average of 92. Prior to his fractured cheekbone he was only averaging 100, and after he came back he only averaged 88. That's not including the score of 22 from the game where he fractured his cheek - though bear in mind that was 2nd quarter so he wasn't on track for a big game then either. Even if you give him a little leeway coming back from injury and take out the 54 and 75 from rounds 15 and 16 he still only averaged 95 in the back half of the year. In short, you have to have some serious faith that he's going to bump up his average back to where he used to be (110-115) and I don't see the signs that he will. He's definitely someone I will keep an eye on but he's going to have to actually prove himself first to be in my side.

Other than that it is certainly a value filled side, though that will come at the expense of early points I think - capitalising making money but does lack a bit of raw firepower.

Ricochet

I am completely certain that Murphy will be back to 110+ average this year. I'll try and find a few posts I made about him a while ago.

In regards to tagging.

Quote from: Ricochet on November 19, 2013, 07:26:20 PM
Just going off FF here
RD3 Tagged by Hunt = 114SC
RD4 Tagged by SSelwood = 98SC
RD5 Tagged by Wright = 99SC
RD7 Tagged by Geary = 57SC **Injured in Quarter 1
RD9 Tagged by Raines = 105SC
RD10 Tagged by Shiel = 73SC
RD11 Tagged by Hocking = 118SC
RD16 Tagged by Jones = 75SC **Injured in Quarter 2
RD19 Tagged by Crowley = 51SC
RD20 Tagged by Wallis = 92SC
RD21 Tagged by Conca = 102SC
RD22 Tagged by Hocking = 98SC
RD23 Tagged by Cornes = 130SC

These are all the regular season games this year where he was tagged. Can't really take much from the games he was injured so early in. So apart from the gun taggers like Crowley and GWS who always tag well, he does ok against them imo

and on Carlton's improvement

Quote from: Ricochet on November 20, 2013, 11:10:48 AM
Yeh thought so haha. Respect your opinion but he has been copping tags from the Jones, Raines, Cornes and co for a couple of years and FF shows this if you look at his previous years. I'm not expecting top 4 from Carlton but we will see significant improvement in Mick's second year much like we saw improvement in Ross's second year. Daisy will add another bigger body to their midfield. 90% of breaking a tag comes from help from your teammates and Daisy will help here. A stronger game plan where everyone knows what is going on at all times also helps. This year the structure and game plan was new to all the players, next year it will be more settled. Ball movement will become more predictable and players will become more predictable. Meaning Marc (and other players') running patterns will be more effective in getting the ball.
Expect big improvement from a quite a few Carlton players next year

These are just my opinions anyway.

eaglesman

my first thought was. surely this bloke hasnt used all his salary because i dont know where the money has gone ...

you have skimped the backline to a degree, personally do not think birchall will be a good pick but that is a matter of opinion

skimped the mids also lacking one extra star, i have fyfe and personally i think he is worth every penny of the extra 80k over murphy .... nevetheless murphy is very appealing at that price ... obviously rookies are a wait and see but im expecting you wil drop cbeams and save some cash and put ellis on

love rucks

i love chappy and really wanna pick him but i duno why i cant do it for some reason

solid team and solid cash waiting to upgrade to any standout players early on

Ricochet

Yeh thats my whole strategy this year, value early one and upgrade quickly.

Reasoning for not liking Birchall? Has been a consistent premo for many years and is massively underpriced

GCSkiwi

Fair enough re: Murphy, I had thought about how Daisy might affect the situation but in all honesty I read your stats totally differently - even not including those two injury games he averages 98 vs taggers. 6 scores under 100, 5 scores over 100.That's not enough for a midfield premo. You're basically banking that the introduction of Daisy will add at least 10 points to his average, I don't share that optimism.

Re: Birchall I think he's a great pick, I would grab him in a heartbeat except that I've got Mitchell and Suckling, don't want to have 3 Hawks defenders. And I'm still seriously considering swapping Mitchell for Birch, the only thing being that Mitchell is a bit of a riddis, very consistent, so I don't know that his price will drop too much.

Vinny

Those tagging stats you have on Murph is so strong, makes me wanna start him.