Main Menu

Cross at Melbourne

Started by kilbluff1985, October 21, 2013, 06:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazz

Quote from: Ricochet on October 21, 2013, 10:07:30 PM
mmm maybe not next year. Still reckon we'll see big improvement from Roos' work in his second year

There will be a huge improvement on previous years you can almost bank on it with Roo's at the helm.

Ricochet

Quote from: Grazz on October 21, 2013, 10:40:26 PM
mmm maybe not next year. Still reckon we'll see big improvement from Roos' work in his second year

There will be a huge improvement on previous years you can almost bank on it with Roo's at the helm.
Yes agree but reckon we will see the big improvement in his second year. Much like Ross Lyon with Freo

Grazz

Quote from: Ricochet on October 21, 2013, 11:07:51 PM
Quote from: Grazz on October 21, 2013, 10:40:26 PM

Yes agree but reckon we will see the big improvement in his second year. Much like Ross Lyon with Freo

Reckon your right mate, these things do take time to get nailed down so the game plan feels and comes naturally.

meow meow

The biggest change will be that the 15 goal thrashings won't occur on an almost weekly basis. The Dees might not win a heap more games next year but at least they will be competitive, and watching Viney, Tyson, Hogan and Toumpas improve will be encouraging.

It's good to see Cross get another shot, and I would love to see him go head to head with Boyd when we play Melbourne.

Nige

Quote from: meow meow on October 22, 2013, 02:57:19 PM
It's good to see Cross get another shot, and I would love to see him go head to head with Boyd when we play Melbourne.

This would be a great sight should it happen.

nrich102

Grazz

Ringo

Yes Great get for the Dees - With the recruiting Dees have done we may see the best of Jack Watts this year.

quinny88

Hate to be a Debbie downer but I think Roos is overrated.  I watched him on "on the coach" all season and he repeats the same old boring crap every week (talking up Sydney).
He seems to have this  legacy as though he was a coach for the ages. Leigh Matthews was a coach for the ages. Roos won one premiership that Sydney could have easily not been in if not for some miracle last quarter from Nick Davis.
He has a good winning record but it was all  built on half way ladder finishes and keeping the team topped up with players in fear that if they bottomed out the club could go under (his own admission)
His game plan is based on defensive choking..
If Melbourne play like that, no one will go and watch them. They are lucky to get 20,000 people through the gates as it is. I hope he brings something fresh to the table.

The recruiting I would grade 7/10
They didn't get the big name mid that they needed but they did a hell of a lot better that Neelds attempt at saving his job last year.
The best thing Roos will do which Melbourne has been screaming out for is develop the kids! So many high draft picks made out to look like duds over the past 5 years . Will be good to see them come on and start to develop.
I think Melbourne will still finish bottom 2 or 3 but they will be a hell of a lot more competitive than last year. They have to be

Mailman the 2nd

I know I'd be pretty biased, but that's a pretty one dimensional view there quinny.

Do you have the same opinion of Ross Lyon? Because Lyon is basically Paul Roos 2.0 considering he worked for him.

Paul Roos was able to do what Barassi and Eade couldn't do, he created a whole market for AFL in a city dominated by anything but AFL. He didn't need to draw crowds in Melbourne, its just silly.

I don't even see how you can argue "Never doing badly in a season as a coach" can be viewed negatively at all? Maybe if it was like St.Kilda now and Sydney were in the dumpster, but Roos set up another premiership for Longmire in 2012.

He created legendary players and clubmen. It's kind of annoying to have Victorian supporters constantly berate his and other interstate achievements constantly.

I'm sure he'll do fine at Melbourne

P.S Who cares if he's a shower commentator. Its not as if he has much competition from Brian Taylor and Matthew Richardson

quinny88

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 01, 2013, 12:28:51 PM
I know I'd be pretty biased, but that's a pretty one dimensional view there quinny.

Do you have the same opinion of Ross Lyon? Because Lyon is basically Paul Roos 2.0 considering he worked for him.

Paul Roos was able to do what Barassi and Eade couldn't do, he created a whole market for AFL in a city dominated by anything but AFL. He didn't need to draw crowds in Melbourne, its just silly.

I don't even see how you can argue "Never doing badly in a season as a coach" can be viewed negatively at all? Maybe if it was like St.Kilda now and Sydney were in the dumpster, but Roos set up another premiership for Longmire in 2012.

He created legendary players and clubmen. It's kind of annoying to have Victorian supporters constantly berate his and other interstate achievements constantly.

I'm sure he'll do fine at Melbourne

P.S Who cares if he's a shower commentator. Its not as if he has much competition from Brian Taylor and Matthew Richardson

Ross Lyon is very similar yes. We are seeing the damages his top up recruiting is having on st.kilda now.
Richmond did the same thing for years. We still somehow managed to finish down the bottom anyway though lol

I'm not doubting Roos marketing abilities. As I said, Sydney couldn't afford to bottom out because the whole thing would go up in smoke if they did. I just don't think a boring game plan will work for Melbourne. They need excitement. There immediate issues are more about weather anyone shows up than actually structuring a premiership winning game plan.

Don't get me wrong, I think Roos is a good coach, I just don't think he is the legend coach that he gets talked up as being.

And this has nothing to do with being Victorian. Roos is a Victorian? It's just an opinion

Mailman the 2nd

No one was saying he was a legendary coach, but there are very few in the modern era of coaching who have achieved what he's done.

I don't think anyone expects Melbourne to become good suddenly, but we hope that he can turn the club around, which he's had experience doing

Nige

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 01, 2013, 12:55:39 PM
No one was saying he was a legendary coach, but there are very few in the modern era of coaching who have achieved what he's done.

I don't think anyone expects Melbourne to become good suddenly, but we hope that he can turn the club around, which he's had experience doing
Yeah, this is basically it. Roos isn't a 'legendary coach', nor is he 'the messiah', but he's definitely one of the only guys around at the moment capable of helping steer the Dees in the right direction.

(._.)

Quote from: quinny88 on November 01, 2013, 12:43:18 PM
I just don't think a boring game plan will work for Melbourne. They need excitement. There immediate issues are more about weather anyone shows up than actually structuring a premiership winning game plan.

But if they start winning games, then they'll start attracting crowds. Winning is better than looking good and losing.

Nige

Quote from: (._.) on November 01, 2013, 02:09:36 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on November 01, 2013, 12:43:18 PM
I just don't think a boring game plan will work for Melbourne. They need excitement. There immediate issues are more about weather anyone shows up than actually structuring a premiership winning game plan.

But if they start winning games, then they'll start attracting crowds. Winning is better than looking good and losing.

This is true. I agree... it's almost a bit like having an 'honourable loss'. Melbourne got smashed a few times and weren't very competitive in a lot of games. If they start winning games instead of just losing them by small margins, fans who were turned away by them constantly getting belted and loss after loss will show up like they once did, regardless of whether their game plan, and potentially the way they win games, is boring or exciting.