Main Menu

Who goes out?

Started by Bones Bombers, October 19, 2013, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones Bombers

With all these new mids coming in, who from this years team goes to the VFL?
From a fantasy point of view, guys like Matt Jones, Michael Evans, James Magner have been handy the last couple of years.
I'm sure there are a number of players Demon supporters would be happy to see gone. Who are they?

Nige

I can't see them leaving Matt Jones out, but Evans and Magner could probably be amongst those who make way for guys like Viv Michie and Bernie Vince. Col Sylvia left as well, so that spot is open.

Bones Bombers

Aaron Davey retired too so there are spots but will these guys improve the Dees?

Nige

Quote from: Bones Bombers on October 19, 2013, 03:24:08 PM
Aaron Davey retired too so there are spots but will these guys improve the Dees?
They needed guys like these in, they'll almost certainly be helpful and make a difference. They need to feed guys like Clark, Hogan and Dawes among others.

MTTY

Well, it really depends on who (before we acquired the players we did this trade period) Roos would have played.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/why-melbourne-can-turn-it-around-sooner-than-you-think-writes-paul-roos/story-fni5f91a-1226690406107

According to the above article, here are the players who would definitely be in his team (note this is excluding Vince, Tyson, Michie)

MELBOURNE
B: Frawley Garland
HB: Grimes McDonald
C: Blease? Jones Watts
HF:Sylvia Dawes Hogan
F: Clark Howe
R:J amar? Trengrove Viney
I/C: Fitzpatrick?

? = can they be a consistent AFL player?

So,

B: , Frawley, Garland

HB: Grimes, McDonald,

C: Blease, Jones, Watts

HF: , Dawes, Hogan

F: , Clark, Howe

R: Jamar, Trengove, Viney

I/C: Fitzpatrick, ,

Sub:

Sylvia obviously not there anymore. Based on the above i'll assume the following players (who played a fair amount of games this season), take those missing spots. (Note: Not necessary who I think should take the spots, but who Craig and Neeld chose to play often)

B: Dunn, Frawley, Garland

HB: Grimes, McDonald, Terlich

HF: Tapscott, Dawes, Hogan

F: Byrnes, Clark, Howe

I/C: Fitzpatrick, M.Jones, Toumpas

Sub: Kent

EMER: McKenzie, Gawn, Nicholson

Now, we must add Vince, Michie and Tyson into this team.

C: Vince, Jones, Watts

HF: Trengove, Dawes, Hogan

R: Jamar, Michie, Viney

I/C: Fitzpatrick, Tyson, Toumpas

Sub: Blease

EMER: M.Jones, Gawn, Kent

Out Completely: McKenzie, Nicholson, Tapscott

That's my guess at the moment. So basically it gives Jones and Kent less games, sets McKenzie, Nicholson and Tapscott back even further and (having Roos as coach) puts pressure on Terlich, Dunn, Byrnes and Toumpas to keep their spots. #9 pick could also push someone out, which would likely be Toumpas or Terlich.

stew42

Quote from: MTTY on October 19, 2013, 04:00:06 PM
Well, it really depends on who (before we acquired the players we did this trade period) Roos would have played.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/why-melbourne-can-turn-it-around-sooner-than-you-think-writes-paul-roos/story-fni5f91a-1226690406107

According to the above article, here are the players who would definitely be in his team (note this is excluding Vince, Tyson, Michie)

MELBOURNE

So,

Sub:

Sylvia obviously not there anymore. Based on the above i'll assume the following players (who played a fair amount of games this season), take those missing spots. (Note: Not necessary who I think should take the spots, but who Craig and Neeld chose to play often)

That's my guess at the moment. So basically it gives Jones and Kent less games, sets McKenzie, Nicholson and Tapscott back even further and (having Roos as coach) puts pressure on Terlich, Dunn, Byrnes and Toumpas to keep their spots. #9 pick could also push someone out, which would likely be Toumpas or Terlich.

Great stuff. Plus I think this was written before he was named as coach...

MTTY

Quote from: stew42 on October 19, 2013, 04:10:57 PM
Quote from: MTTY on October 19, 2013, 04:00:06 PM

MELBOURNE

So,

Sub:

Great stuff. Plus I think this was written before he was named as coach...

Cheers! Yep, definitely was, so a lot could have changed once he actually met the players and saw them.

stew42

I was thinking about Clisby. Got fairly consistent games later in the season... I guess it's hard to tell what Roosey wants now.

Bones Bombers

Great insight MTTY. Cheer for that.
Clisby is another one Stew. Some of these young guys are decent footballers just didn't work as a team.
Looking at the changes they've made the only one that definitely improves the team is the coach.

kilbluff1985

Matt Jones will play over Michie or Toumpas imo

Mailman the 2nd

Over the next 2 years Melbourne should look for replacements to Blease, Dunn and Byrnes (all 3 are excess standard) and you have a pretty decent side.

Remember though that Jamar said he was leaving (don't know if thats still happening)

Big Mac

Thought i'd list a best 22 for us.

B: Garland, McDonald, Terlich
HB: Grimes, Frawley, Toumpas
C: Watts, Mckenzie, Vince
HF: Trengove, Dawes, Howe
F: Hogan, Clark, Kent
Foll: Gawn, Tyson, Jones
Int: Michie, Viney, Evans

- I put Frawley at CHB so we could utilise his run and carry from there. McDonald also plays well at FB anyway.
- Toumpas is at halfback because of his run and his accurate kicking, and we can also develop him there until he can take up a midfield role. He also played on the flank a lot for SA, although he does need to improve his tackling.
- Most people don't rate McKenzie, but now that we have a midfield he might be able to do what he does best, hard tagging. He negated his direct opponent well all year.
- Gawn as full time ruck, as I think after another injury-free preseason he will have developed a tank to run out games. Jamar also seems past it.
- Evans on the bench as he has shown a bit when he has played, but he will probably rotate with whoever we get with pick 9 (Hopefully Freeman)
- Blease as sub to inject a bit of pace, but who really knows what will happen with him next year
- I noticed others included Matt Jones, but although he is an ok midfielder, he can't really play anywhere else. Not like Michie can play half forward and Toumpas can play half back.

EDIT: I'm also looking forward to what Stone and Roos can do with Tapscott and Strauss.

Cicjose

Toumpas was the worst of the draftees who played 10+ games in his rookie season will be better next season without doubt

specky92

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 20, 2013, 02:29:52 PM
Thought i'd list a best 22 for us.

B: Garland, McDonald, Terlich
HB: Grimes, Frawley, Toumpas
C: Watts, Mckenzie, Vince
HF: Trengove, Dawes, Howe
F: Hogan, Clark, Kent
Foll: Gawn, Tyson, Jones
Int: Michie, Viney, Evans

That is all