Main Menu

Best "new" coach of 2014

Started by ossie85, October 11, 2013, 09:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

5 teams have new coaches next year, all in different circumstances...

Justin Leppitsch takes over the Brisbane Lions, taking over a team with potential on the field, but a basket case off the field highlighted by the handling of club legend Michael Voss

Dual premiership coach Mark Thompson takes over the reigns for Essendon for a year, after what can only be described as a year from hell for him, James Hird and the entire Essendon football club

Leon Cameron quietly takes over the reigns from Kevin Sheedy at GWS, and I can't remember a more quiet coaching transition! The Suns improved dramatically in its 3rd year, and the Giants follow suit?

If Paul Roos can't do it, nobody can. Mr. Likeable and Swans premiership coach has not much to work with, but can certaily build a foundation for the future.

Non longer a coach-in-waiting Adam Simpson takes on the Eagles after the retirement of club legend John Worsfold. The Eagles were below the public expectation last year...

Obviously Essendon are going to win more games than Melbourne. So shouldn't be who wins the most, but which team is coached the best?

Mailman the 2nd

I'm going to put my money on Cameron in thinking that GWS will basically copy GC this year.

Ricochet

Agree with Mailman on GWS.
Reckon Bomber will push Essendon to a top 4 though.
We will see the fruit of Roos' work in his second year
Same for Leppa

Nige

Yeah, I think Leon Cameron's gonna do some very good things with the Giants. Spent time under Clarko while the Hawks were pretty successful and then spent a year under Sheedy which really would have been good for him.

He'll certainly help the Giants a lot more, but I don't think think they'll reach the same heights as the Suns did. The Suns have Ablett and Jaeger...

T Dog

Simpson for me..I just feel he has a lot to work with. A fair smell of underperformance by the group last year, so has a big upside if he can get their minds on it... :)

specky92

Quote from: NigeyS on October 11, 2013, 10:44:39 AM

He'll certainly help the Giants a lot more, but I don't think think they'll reach the same heights as the Suns did. The Suns have Ablett and Jaeger...
Yeah this, don't think the giants midfield is close to the suns, Add Dion as well, :P

SydneyRox

Surely Roos can turn the Dees around, they wont make the 8, but finishing 9-12 would be a massive turn around.

Think Leppa has the hardest job. A list that has questions over both it, the board and the players attitude.

quinny88

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 11, 2013, 12:08:04 PM
Surely Roos can turn the Dees around, they wont make the 8, but finishing 9-12 would be a massive turn around.

Think Leppa has the hardest job. A list that has questions over both it, the board and the players attitude.

How are they gonna finish 9-12? The AFL will no doubt spoon feed them the softest fixture in the history of the game but I still cant see them finishing any higher than 15th.
I think Cameron will be the best coach. Got a group of kids coming into their 3rd year. Expect a lot of breakouts

SydneyRox

Quote from: quinny88 on October 11, 2013, 03:30:45 PM

How are they gonna finish 9-12? The AFL will no doubt spoon feed them the softest fixture in the history of the game but I still cant see them finishing any higher than 15th.
I think Cameron will be the best coach. Got a group of kids coming into their 3rd year. Expect a lot of breakouts

Didnt say they would finish that high, but that has to be the aim.

If Roos got them out of bottom 6 that would be enough to be classed as a bigger success than the other guys listed above IMO

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 11, 2013, 03:34:38 PM

Didnt say they would finish that high, but that has to be the aim.

If Roos got them out of bottom 6 that would be enough to be classed as a bigger success than the other guys listed above IMO

It'd be classed as a massive success, although I can't really see it happening.

Big Mac

Melbourne has a better list than what most people think. I guess we'll see what happens next year....

specky92

I also think Melbourne will surprise many, think it depends a lot on how the new guys go, eg. Viney, Hogan, Toumpas

Think Jack watts may finally show us why he was pick 1 also

henry

Quote from: T Dog on October 11, 2013, 11:53:41 AM
Simpson for me..I just feel he has a lot to work with. A fair smell of underperformance by the group last year, so has a big upside if he can get their minds on it... :)
Agree, west coast massively underperformed this year and there is a lot of room for improvement, possibly a top 4 finish so Simpson would get my vote. He has done good things undo clarko at the hawks and is very highly rated.

I really hope Roos turns the dees around, I barrack strongly for the hawks but the dees are definitely my second team, a lot of my family goes for them and have school old boy links as well with dawes and watts who are both ripping blokes.  They have a very decent forward line when all are fit, in Clark, Dawes, Hogan and Howe, and their defenders in terlich garland and frawly are decent and improving. Their midfield has been shocking though apart from Jones who has to deal with the number 1 tag each week, hopefully they can get some decent mids in the trade period and I think Dan Cross would be a very nice fit. Hopefully the likes of toumpas come on next year for them, they have made the right strong steps off the field and now they need to sort themselves on it. Can't see them finishing any higher than about 14th, it would be a step in the right direction though.

nrich102

Leppitsch has so much talent to play with.

T Dog

Quote from: nrich102 on October 11, 2013, 06:13:04 PM
Leppitsch has so much talent to play with.

Is he going around again? :o