Main Menu

McEvoy and Savage

Started by Ricochet, October 10, 2013, 10:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enzedder

Very happy with the McEvoy trade. Another first round pick to go with 3 and 21...plus Savage who I rate.
Savage is a booming kick and can find the pill. Saints need mids and Savage will easily fit in our best 22 whereas he was a bit player at the Hawks, often the sub.
McEvoy was serviceable but not great. Can take the odd grab but slow around the ground and not up to it against in the elite rucks IMO. With Hickey and Stanley as second ruck it's not the doom and gloom one sided trade that many are making out.
The vast majority of Saints fans see this as a positive trade.

ADEZ

Quote from: brad on October 10, 2013, 02:43:36 PM
3, 21 and Fisher for 1 and Bruce

one that is being talked about on Bigfooty

I'm not a saint fan but would love this trade to take place - For GWS, it will give them good kids and a key defender to mentor their youth over the next couple seasons and for Stk it will give them two strong KPP players to develop (bruce defence and Boyd up forward).
+ Boyd would have one of the greatest mentors in Roo

enzedder

Reported that Hawks gave us Buddy's compo pick as further sweetener for McEvoy/Savage +17 trade. Our pick 21(2nd rounder) to Hawks for pick 18(Buddy compo)...which might end up being picks 23/20 once Daisy and Buddy compo picks are slotted in the first round.
Looks like we have picks 3, 17, 20 or  something like that.

enzedder

If the Saints can snare Delaney and pick 26 from the Roos for Dal...I'd be happy to deal. Otherwise we should keep Dal Santo. We don't have to trade him with that clause in his contract. The Roos can pay the piper...on the back of Luke Ball leaving for nothing to the Pies(thanks to Lyon) and Goddard walking out last year it's nice to have the upper hand for once.
That'd see us with 3, 17, 20?, 26, 37...55, 73 and 91
Gives us a strong heading into the draft.

Could use a mid pick with Fisher to land Bruce as well from GWS as no guarantee we'd get him just for Fisher and Melbourne could nab him before us if we can't cut a deal.
Interesting times ahead.

Ziplock

I know people have been hacking on mcevoy for his hitouts etc. but you really have to take into account that st kilda averages the second least amount of stoppages in the comp, to put it into perspective, the bottom 4 in stoppages are
18th geelong
17th stk
16th melbourne
15h gws

so yeah, mcevoy only averages 20.4 hit outs (keeping in mind there were a fair few games where he shared the ruck 50/50 with hickey), but he didn't exactly get the most amount of hit out options.

although, if anyone can pull up stats comparing ruckmen on like % hitouts to advantage that proves me wrong (because I dont know where to look), I'd be happy to say I'm wrong.

Ricochet

Quote from: Ziplock on October 11, 2013, 12:05:07 AM
although, if anyone can pull up stats comparing ruckmen on like % hitouts to advantage that proves me wrong (because I dont know where to look), I'd be happy to say I'm wrong.

Quote from: Ricochet on October 10, 2013, 12:46:42 PM
McEvoy Stats for 2011-13

-Won hitout at 37% of contests (lowest in AFL)
-26% hitout-to-adv (AFL avg)
-111 intercept marks (clear No.1 of ruckmen)

Ziplock

that makes him, at worst, average as a ruckman. Although, a lot of his skills aren't just in rucking.

Ricochet

Yep agree. Reckon this is still a good trade for the saints. Obviously 4+ year rebuilding plan that would put McEvoy close to 30 when they are ready to go again. But they get a 22yr old and kid for their rebuild

silloc

Quote from: Ricochet on October 11, 2013, 10:01:21 AM
Yep agree. Reckon this is still a good trade for the saints. Obviously 4+ year rebuilding plan that would put McEvoy close to 30 when they are ready to go again. But they get a 22yr old and kid for their rebuild

and an 18yo, they have a lot of spots to fill also, with all the retired/delisted players. I rate this trade very highly.

Ricochet

Quote from: silloc on October 11, 2013, 10:23:15 AM

and an 18yo, they have a lot of spots to fill also, with all the retired/delisted players. I rate this trade very highly.
thats what i mean by "and a kid" :p
But yes, there more i look at this trade the more i rate it as well

silloc

Quote from: Ricochet on October 11, 2013, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: silloc on October 11, 2013, 10:23:15 AM

thats what i mean by "and a kid" :p
But yes, there more i look at this trade the more i rate it as well

Sorry, I didn't read the "and"

I think saints should have done this years ago. Splitting an A grade player to get multiple B grades who have the potential of becoming elite.

specky92

I rate this deal as well, the more I look at the previous drafts the more I think you'll end up with 2 really nice players and an average/terrible one. I'm excluding 2010 onwards as I don't think they accurately represent draft picks. eg. 1 club with 7 first rounders isn't exactly going to grab the 7 best mids but 7 clubs with a first rounder each might.

In the following drafts you would have got these players (picks 3,17 and 20)

2009: Dustin Martin, Daniel Menzel, Nathan Fyfe

2008: Stephen Hill, Sam Blease, Tom Swift

2007: Chris Masten, Harry Taylor, Tony Notte

2006: Lachie Hansen, Shaun Hampson, Tom Hislop

2005: Xavier Ellis, Darren Pfeiffer, Paul Bower

2004: Ryan Griffen, Andrew McQualter, Dean Polo

2003: Colin Sylvia, Billy Morrison, Sam Butler

2002: Jared Brennan, Cameron Faulkner, Will Minson

2001: Chris Judd, James Kelly, Daniel Elstone

2000: Alan Didak, James Davies, Kane Cornes

BoredSaint

yeah 3 first plus savage to walk into the midfield is nice. Only thing is that the draft is mostly stacked with more midfielders which means that we're gonna be stacking an already stacked midfield. Although Dal Santo and Montagna are likely to leave in the next 1-2 years.

enzedder

Quote from: BoredSaint on October 11, 2013, 11:52:22 AM
yeah 3 first plus savage to walk into the midfield is nice. Only thing is that the draft is mostly stacked with more midfielders which means that we're gonna be stacking an already stacked midfield. Although Dal Santo and Montagna are likely to leave in the next 1-2 years.
Take out Dal Santo and Montagna and Hayes for that matter...we are left with Steven and Armo as developed/proven performers...hardly stacked for mine...I'm happy to keep trading in mids till we are stacked with a bit more quality in the engine room. Ross, Newnes and Savage may develop into something special but stacked?

Justin Bieber