Hawks happy to help Savage search for new club

Started by Ricochet, October 04, 2013, 11:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-04/hawks-help-savage-move?utm_medium=RSS

HAWTHORN is willing to help contracted Shane Savage find a new club when the Gilette AFL Trade Period begins next Monday.

The 22-year-old midfielder will be in demand, with several clubs including Carlton, Melbourne, West Coast and St Kilda expressing interest in securing him.

Nige

Good player, should definitely be in demand, hope he gets a new home soon.

JBs-Hawks

tor01doc

If he goes, who will wear his number - the green I mean!

Capper

SydneyRox

I know he was a sub and reserves player this year. But why would you leave the Hawks??

He did play 15 games this year (5 sub). Surely there are more opportunities at the club next year?

Mr.Craig

SydneyRox

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 04, 2013, 12:56:54 PM
I'm not happy about it! :(

I wouldnt be either. To draw a comparison. Imagine if Luke Parker wanted to leave at the end of 2012?

Ricochet

Sub in the 2012 Grand Final side
Sub in all three finals that year,
Sub in 5 games this year
Wasn't selected in 2013 premiership team

Might have something to do with it
Still got a premiership though!

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 04, 2013, 12:58:10 PM

I wouldnt be either. To draw a comparison. Imagine if Luke Parker wanted to leave at the end of 2012?

The comparison isn't really there. You'd say Parker would be playing in every GF Sydney gets to in his career (at Sydney) whereas Savage is being subbed off and on all the time and missed the most recent GF.

He'll also get offers from some good clubs, where he'll still play 22 games so he'd be happy to leave

SydneyRox

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 04, 2013, 02:35:09 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on October 04, 2013, 12:58:10 PM

The comparison isn't really there. You'd say Parker would be playing in every GF Sydney gets to in his career (at Sydney) whereas Savage is being subbed off and on all the time and missed the most recent GF.

He'll also get offers from some good clubs, where he'll still play 22 games so he'd be happy to leave

Yeah, but in 2012. Parker played 16 (4 as sub) then was the sub in all 3 finals?

Parker wasn't in the best 18 in all the "best 22" teams we did at the start of 2013 like he would be now. Was pretty much the last named on a 4 or 5 man int bench

The comparisons with Savage seem real? Surely Savage could choose to go head down bum up in the premiership team and work his way into the best 22?

From the GF team..

Franklin, Guerra, maybe Bailey are gone
Sewell, Mitchell, Burgoyne are all closer to the end than the beginning

Means he is fighting against guys like Simpkin, Hill and Anderson for those spots?

Mailman the 2nd

I think the main problem for him was that he was losing the struggle against Hill, Anderson and Simpkin

henry

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 04, 2013, 02:56:01 PM
I think the main problem for him was that he was losing the struggle against Hill, Anderson and Simpkin
Yep agree, the inclusion of simpkin this year hurt him. I would love the hawks to keep him though, is developing into a worthy replacement for the likes of mitchell, sewell and our other mids as they can't go on for ever unfortunately. Having said that can't really begrudge him wanting more opportunities, would much prefer him to stay though. Hopefully if he leaves we get something decent in return.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Ricochet on October 04, 2013, 01:01:13 PM
Sub in 5 games this year

Premiership? He didn't play?

henry

Quote from: whatlez on October 05, 2013, 11:19:58 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 04, 2013, 01:01:13 PM
Sub in 5 games this year

Premiership? He didn't play?
I think he means VFL premiership, Box Hill Hawks won that and he played.