Main Menu

Fremantle FC Trade Talk

Started by Ricochet, October 03, 2013, 10:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(._.)

Essendon wanting a second round pick for Gumbleton. Terry Wallace saying it should be a third rounder.

SydneyRox

I thought Freo were already offering 33? Which is end round 2

Seems fair to me?

valkorum

Or we could do a straight swap - Mellington for Gumbleton

elephants

Why voluntarily lose a trade valk?

valkorum

Quote from: elephants on October 14, 2013, 10:43:20 PM
Why voluntarily lose a trade valk?

In which scenario?

Gumby for pick 33
or
Gumby for Mellington

Either are both worth about the same.

Cicjose

gumby isnt worth squat

better off going to the draft

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on October 15, 2013, 10:54:31 AM
gumby isnt worth squat

And that lasted 1 day..... Gumby is a former #2 draft pick so he obviously had a lot of talent.  It's only because he has had injury issues over his career that he hasn't been able to show his talent. 

If he can prove that he is over his injury issues (which Freo appear to be checking diligently) then we would take him. 

How has our drafting gone so far with talls since 2006

Keplar - 68 games
Zac Clarke - 53 games
Joel Houghton - 0 games
Tanner Smith - 1 game
Jack Hannath  - 12 games
Matthew Taberner - 4 games
Craig Moller - 1 game (rookie)

3 of those are ruckman types (Clarke, Hannath & Moller), Smith is most likely going to be a key defender.  So out of that list we have a utility in Keplar and a raw Taberner as key forward prospects.... in 7 years of drafting. 

If we were able to go to the draft why were we linked with Mitch Clark, Travis Cloke, Harry Taylor, Buddy (although denied by RTB).  We need a KPF so if Gumby is the best one available we need to go out and get him.  If that takes pick #33 or trading Mellington/Michie then I say lets do it.  We have plenty of cover for both Mellington and Michie (although I think Michie is going to be a Mundy type player)

Ricochet

Completely agree with Valk here. We have tried other key forwards and failed. We have to take the next best available

valkorum

I just realised I forgot Zac Dawson in my list of drafted talls - but obviously he is a key defender.

Cicjose

so why have fremantle consistently failed to get good tall forwards via the draft

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on October 15, 2013, 01:20:23 PM
so why have fremantle consistently failed to get good tall forwards via the draft

Thats the $50m question, but why would you suggest we go back to the draft for a KPF when its clear we havent gotten anyone good from there.  Unless we could do a deal to get the #1 pick and then get Boyd, Gumby or J-Pod are the best 2 available right now.  J-Pod would be a short team solution where as Gumby could still deliver up to 7 years worth of service.

Ricochet

Don't forget most key forwards take 3-4 years to develop. Unless they are superstars already

dirkdiggler

Quote from: Cicjose on October 15, 2013, 10:54:31 AM
gumby isnt worth squat

and pick who? Is there a ready made key forward kicking around who will get thru to pick 17?

Cicjose

Cameron Conlon, Cameron McCarthy, Jack Billings, Louis Herbert

valkorum

Cic - only 2 of those are KPF

Cameron Conlon
197cm
87kg
Knee injury for most of 2013

Cameron McCarthy
195cm
89kg
Broken leg

Jack Billings

183cm
78kg
Not a KPF

Louis Herbert

187cm
75kg
Not a KPF

Scott Gumbleton
197cm
97kg

When you compare them to our current KPF stocks

Jack Hannath
201cm
102kg
Is a ruckman

Matt Taberner
197cm
89kg
Same height, weight as Conlon and McCarthy but has been in the system for 1 season and isnt recovering from injury.

Out of all of them the only one with a body ready to play KPF is Scott Gumbleton.