Mike Sheahan's annual end-of-season top 50

Started by Ricochet, October 02, 2013, 09:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

50. TODD GOLDSTEIN
Position: Ruck
Best post-season rank: 23 (2011)
SC average: 114

Mike says: Not far behind Will Minson as the premier ruckman of the season. Not a vintage year for the gladiators, but he was consistent, resilient and effective.

49. BRAD EBERT
Position: Midfield
First season-end selection
SC average: 97

Mike says: One of the keys to Port Adelaide's improvement. Had heaps of the ball with a high efficiency rating (68.5 per cent). Played every game and led the tackle count at his club .

48. JOSH GIBSON
Position: Defender
2012 post-season rank: 32
Best post-season rank: 2012
SC average: 79

Mike says: One of the major planks in the Hawthorn defence. Defensive in the air, smart at ground level, creative with ball in hand. Led the table for rebound-50s.

47. ANDREW WALKER
Position: Forward/Midfield
SC average: 106

Mike says: One of the most dashing, damaging defenders of the year. Averaged 23 disposals and was adventurous with the ball.

46. RICHARD DOUGLAS
Best post-season rank: 37 (2010)
SC average: 102

Mike says: Adelaide's best for much of the season. Won a heap of footy, booted 20 goals, big on score-assists and tackled hard and often.

45. ROBERT MURPHY
Best post-season rank: 37 (2005)
SC average: 99

Mike says: One of my favorites of the modern game. Love his dash, daring and composure, and his exquisite disposal skills. Comfortable at either end of the ground.

44. GRANT BIRCHALL
2012 post-season rank: 30
SC average: 92

Mike says: One of the Hawks' genuine stars. Averaged 24 possessions with a disposal efficiency in the 80s. Super link player.

43. DANIEL WELLS
2013 pre-season rank: 48
2012 post-season rank: 41
Best post-season rank: 34 (2011)
SC average: 96

Mike says: Probably his best year. Starting to realise just how good he can be. Carried the ball with dash and kicked 25 goals, more than handy from a midfielder.

42. BRENDON GODDARD
2013 pre-season rank: 45
Best post-season ranking: 3 (2010)

Mike says: Pays a heavy price for being less than so many of us have expected. Pretty handy first season in red and black. Nearly 600 possessions plus 18 goals.

41. MATHEW STOKES
Position: Forward
SuperCoach average: 97

Mike says: Blitzed in the first half of the season, racked up 630 possessions for the year and led Geelong for score-assists. Second to Joel Selwood for contested ball.

40. Eric Mackenzie (WC)
Mike says: As much as I rate Darren Glass, his no-fuss offsider was even better this year. Mackenzie got all the big boys of the opposition and neutralised most of them.
SC average: 68

39. Ryan Crowley (Frem)
Mike says: Wont win a popularity contest outside Freo but the coaches and his teammates love him. Sat on most of the gun midfielders with great success.
SC average: 58

38. Jack Steven (SK)
Mike says: He is a little gem. Works hard, runs fast, breaks the lines. Almost 600 possessions and had as many of the contested variety as Jobe Watson and Sam Mitchell.
SC average: 110

37. Will Minson (WB)
Position: Ruck
Mike says: Who would have thought? Big Wilbur, All-Australian. Good on him. Averaged almost 40 hit-outs per game and played with emotion, energy and impact.
SC average: 114

36. Dustin Martin (Rich)
Mike says: What a talent. Still plays in bursts but his numbers are healthy: an average 24 possessions; 23 goals, 91 inside 50s. Hopefully ready to concentrate on becoming a star.
2013 pre-season rank: 42
SC average: 102

35. Jordan Lewis (Haw)
Position: Midfield/Forward
Mike says: Just keeps doing his job roaming the ground, providing options, linking up. Had a lot of footy, much of it won the hard way. Seventeen goals is handy, 91 tackles is admirable.
2013 pre-season rank: -
2012 post-season rank: 28

34. Pearce Hanley (Bris)
Mike says: No wonder the Lions gave him a five-year contract extension. Led the inside 50 table at Brisbane, kicked 16 goals and played with a compelling sense of adventure.
SC average: 96

33. Trent Cotchin (Rich)
Mike says: A little disappointing by his standards. Strong numbers, but lacked ping for much of the season. Excellent at the clearances but six goals isnt good enough for an elite midfielder (Joel Selwood 30).
2013 pre-season rank: 7
2012 post-season rank: 6

32. Corey Enright (Geel)
Mike says: All Australian again. Super player. Does anyone look more comfortable on a footy field? No. Even kicked a goal this year and didnt his teammates celebrate!
2013 pre-season rank: 39
2012 post-season rank: 43
Best post-season rank: 8 (2009)
SC average: 94

31. Tom Liberatore (WB)
Mike says: His old man won a Brownlow and this son of a gun is even better. More than half his 571 possessions were contested (no surprise) and he was the best in the business at the clearances.
SC average: 107

30. ANDREW MACKIE
Best post-season rank: 30 (2009)
SC average: 87

Mike says: Enjoyed the best year of his excellent career. Remains a shrewd, cool, reliable defender who wins plenty of the ball and uses it wisely.

29. LUKE HODGE
Best post-season rank: 4 (2008)

Mike says: Probably deserves to be higher given his leadership and all-round aura. Good numbers and at his best in big games. A true champion.

28. CHRIS MAYNE
SC average: 92

Mike says: Super season. Hampered by a back injury in last two finals, but still managed 37 goals for the year (37.12) and 34 score assists. Brilliant tackler.

27. JEREMY CAMERON
SC average: 73

Mike says: Was in contention for the Coleman until the last round. Kicked 28 per cent of his teams goals. Great mark, reliable kick, outstanding prospect.

26. JOSH KENNEDY
2013 preseason rank: 5
2012 post-season rank: 2

Mike says: Not quite as good this year, yet still a solid, reliable performer. Averaged 27 possessions and dominated at the clearances with his strength and quick hands.

25. NICK RIEWOLDT
2013 preseason rank: 47
Best post-season rank: 1 (2004)

Mike says: Under-appreciated this year because of his teams lack of success. Averaged better than nine marks a game and kicked 50 goals ... and delivery was shoddy.

24. MICHAEL JOHNSON
SC average: 87

Mike says: Freos solitary rep in the team of the year. Finally acknowledged for his smooth skills and consistency. An average 20 disposals at 81 per cent tells the tale.

23. RORY SLOANE
2013 preseason rank: 26

Mike says: Hes a beauty. He looks like an altar boy and plays like a demon. Talented, brave and resilient.

22. TRAVIS CLOKE
2013 preseason rank: 12
2012 post-season rank: 45
Best post-season rank: 3 (2011)
SC average: 95

Mike says: Big year from the big man. Booted 68.51 to narrowly miss Coleman and, as always, was outstanding overhead. Averaged nine marks a game.

21. STEVE JOHNSON
Position: Forward-midfield
2013 preseason rank: 23
2012 post-season rank: 36
Best post-season rank: 10 (2007)

Mike says: What a star. Thrived in the midfield, thrilled supporters (of all teams) and scored a lot of love from umpires. Even when he mucks up, its entertaining.

20. CHAD WINGARD
SC average: 99

Mike says: Deservedly All Australian at 20 years of age. Played all 24 games, averaging better than 20 possessions. Kicked 43 goals, had 33 score-assists. Stardom beckons.

19. STEVEN MOTLOP
SC average: 82

Mike says: I shall never tire of watching this bloke. He has the skills we associate with the Motlop clan. Unlike one or two who went before him, he has the capacity to do things right when it matters.

18. JOBE WATSON
2013 preseason rank: 8
2012 post-season rank: 4
SC average: 112

Mike says: Another excellent year, particularly the first half of the season. The supplements storm seemed to wear him down, but his returns were first-class. Hes a gun.

17. TRAVIS BOAK

Mike says: Born to be a captain. Outstanding season. Won a heap of the ball, banged it into the forward 50 120 times, kicked 20 goals, laid 96 tackles.

16. DAVID MUNDY
Best post-season rank: 18 (2010)
SC average: 104

Mike says: Victorian clubs have been trying to lure him home for 3-4 years and everyone now knows why. Hes a super player, as his GF confirmed. Should have been All-Australian.

15. JOSH KENNEDY
SC average: 90

Mike says: Would have been centre half-forward in my team of the year. Excellent season in a poor team. Marked brilliantly, kicked 60 goals, worked hard when he didnt have the ball.

14. SCOTT THOMPSON
2012 post-season rank: 34
SC average: 98

Mike says: Finally rewarded for his highly efficient, consistent form of recent years. Plays on all the big forwards, has great hands and makes good decisions.

13. NATHAN FYFE
2013 preseason rank: 21
Best post-season rank: 31 (2011)

Mike says: On the way to superstar-status at 22. Theres a strong hint of James Hird about him and he could reach the same dizzy heights. At 190cm and with his mobility and resilience, theres nothing beyond him.

12. PATRICK DANGERFIELD
2013 preseason rank: 3
2012 post-season rank: 7
SC average: 113

Mike says: One of my favourites. You have to love his courage, power, pace and daring. Excellent season (31 goals), and a Brownlow beckons for this bloke

11. DAN HANNEBERY
SC average: 95

Mike says: Close to player of the year mid season. Trailed off a little, but finished with 607 disposals (70 per cent efficiency). Effective inside and outside and a ferocious tackler.

10. HARRY TAYLOR
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 33
Supercoach Average: 94

MIKE SAYS:Superb mark, smart and efficient with the ball in hand. His forays forward netted 15 goals. No wonder Freo went so hard at him.

9. SAM MITCHELL
Position: Midfielder
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 11
Supercoach Average: 104

MIKE SAYS: He is a Hawthorn great and a great of the game. Amassed almost 700 possessions in 24 games and there is none better with ball in hand.

8. RYAN GRIFFEN
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 32
Supercoach Average: 116

MIKE SAYS: A long time good player reached elite level this year. Averaged almost 30 possessions a week, coped with close attention week after week, and was a constant source of drive.

7. DANE SWAN
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 13
Supercoach Average: 117

MIKE SAYS: Might have won a second Brownlow this year, but died on his run according to the the umpires. His possessions exceeded 700, he is still a brilliant clearance player and he kicks goals (21).

6. KIEREN JACK
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 22
Supercoach Average: 109

MIKE SAYS:He is a jet. Works both ways with equal enthusiasm, wins his own footy, kicks goals (24) and tackles with the energy and intensity you would expect of a kid who grew up in a rugby league environment.

5. JARRAD MCVEIGH
2012 Pre-season Ranking: n/a
Supercoach Average: 106

MIKE SAYS: Just pipped Jack for the title of Sydneys premier midfielder. Smart, composed player and a brilliant leader. Had more of the ball than any other Swan and his efficiency rating was 75.6 per cent. Thats top class.

4. JARRYD ROUGHEAD
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 46
Supercoach Average: 99

MIKE SAYS: Seen by many as the most valuable player of all, given his versatility and class as a forward. Won the Coleman with 72 goals, did a share of the ruckwork and was handy at ground level at stoppages.

3. SCOTT PENDLEBURY
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 3
Supercoach Average: 127

MIKE SAYS: Superb player. Just goes and goes. Brilliant skills, composure and balance to match, and seems to have limitless endurance. He is a clearance king, yet knows how to tackle when the ball is in enemy hands.

2. JOEL SELWOOD
JOEL SELWOOD
GEELONG CATS
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 6
Supercoach Average: 118

MIKE SAYS: Second only to the player of the era, and only just. From the opening round, he led the Cats in inspirational fashion. He is the complete package - skill and footy smarts complemented by courage, durability and fairness.

1. GARY ABLETT
2012 Pre-season Ranking: 1
Supercoach Average: 129

MIKE SAYS: I declared mid year he had elevated himself to Leigh Matthews exalted level. There can be no greater praise for a midfielder/forward. What a player. A dual Brownlow medalist, five times the MVP, a swag of best and fairest awards, admired by all. Even the best of the rest in the game are in awe of him and his talents.
When he has three games in a row of fewer than 30 possessions he is seen to be in a trough. If only.
It is a lifelong thrill to have seen the cherubic Ablett blossom from a young man burdened by the biggest name of the previous generation to matching and then surpassing his immortal father.

valkorum

Ricochet

The rest will be slowly released throughout the day apparently

Vinny

From what I see so far, I do not like it :-/

Mailman the 2nd

Its ok so far, although he obviously thought he had to keep Cotchin in and didnt really rate Stokes or Steven much

ossie85

Mine is better :P

Obviously doesn't rate rucks Mr. Sheahan

Holz

Goldy at 50,

dont think i need to read any more than that. Such disrespect given to rucks.

Crowley getting some credit is good though

Adamant

Wells is a big surprise for me, didn't think he had that good of a year...

Agree with Holz though, Goldy should be a lot higher. Top 30 at least.

BB67th

Yeah Sheehan doesn't seem to rank the rucks as highly as he should.

Ricochet

Only 2 ruckman in the top 50 is a bit surprising, but not many had really good years tbh
Goldy should have been higher though

Holz

Quote from: Adamant on October 02, 2013, 01:49:59 PM

he made the 40 man AA squad so cant be too much of a suprsie, he had a pretty good year.

Adamant

Quote from: Holzman on October 02, 2013, 02:31:01 PM

he made the 40 man AA squad so cant be too much of a suprsie, he had a pretty good year.

Oh, I didn't even realise he made the squad. Fair enough then I guess.

My Chumps

I agree with most of the list so far except for, as everyone has already highlighted, the underrating of rucks. Interesting to see Libba rated so highly! Not saying he doesn't deserve it however.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: My Chumps on October 02, 2013, 06:01:50 PM
I agree with most of the list so far except for, as everyone has already highlighted, the underrating of rucks. Interesting to see Libba rated so highly! Not saying he doesn't deserve it however.

Considering his age, the state of WB and his stats its pretty fair to say he's going to be a huge player

henry

Quote from: Holzman on October 02, 2013, 02:31:01 PM

Yeah I thought he had an excellent year, consistently damaging. Can't really fault the list too much at this stage without knowing who the top 30 are, maybe should have ranked the rucks higher although I understand why he maybe didn't, Minson and Goldstein don't tend to dominate around ths ground.

Gibson should be ranked higher, he's a star and very underrated.