SC 2014 Profile: Joel Selwood

Started by LF, September 24, 2013, 02:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

I doubt it will affect Selwood much at all. He doesn't really duck, it's more of a shoulder shrug to break free from tackles. He stays on his feet and can easily play on if they umpire doesn't give him a free kick. Guys like Shuey and Pushup King who drop at the knees and completely take themselves out of play in the process are the real showerheads who'll suffer.

Ziplock

I'm glad they've instigated this rule- while I don't agree with people who were foaming at the mouth going 'DUKING IZ CH3ATINGZ!', I personally see ducking as deliberately endangering the head and causing unnecessary head high contact, something the AFL has justifiably been trying to stamp out... which means that this decision was always going to eventuate and rightly so.
and yeah dmac, halving that free kick count (ignoring the potential for free kicks against) will mean for example, 6 less dt ppg, and probably even more for SC.

Quote from: meow meow on December 18, 2013, 01:16:02 PM
I doubt it will affect Selwood much at all. He doesn't really duck, it's more of a shoulder shrug to break free from tackles. He stays on his feet and can easily play on if they umpire doesn't give him a free kick. Guys like Shuey and Pushup King who drop at the knees and completely take themselves out of play in the process are the real showerheads who'll suffer.
I think it'll come down to the umpires discretion with selwood, and since he's known as a 'ducker' it's not going to work in his favour. Selwood dips his shoulders down, which causes the head high contact, which is essentially a duck, he probably won't get penalised for it in most cases, but he probably won't be able to dispose of the ball as cleanly as he would with a free kick.

shaker

If he gets less free kicks and can't dispose of it cleanly as much it will have to affect his scoring somewhat , don't think it's a big deal he is a smart player might take him a short time to adjust

Ricochet

Jay Clark ‏@ClarkyHeraldSun 7m
Cats skipper Joel Selwood has foot surgery. Club expects him to be back running in 2-3 weeks. Should be right for Rd 1.

Anthonyyyy

that's made me reconsider him haha he has always been a lock but if he has a foot injury even a niggle Ablett in Jelwood out

shaker

Just saw that on the news did not go into much detail about it but not ideal does anyone have more info on what is wrong with his foot would be good , the injuries begin .

T Dog

Quote from: Anthonyyyy on January 23, 2014, 05:47:23 PM
that's made me reconsider him haha he has always been a lock but if he has a foot injury even a niggle Ablett in Jelwood out

me too..... >:(

GoLions

Oddly enough, I've barely even considered Jelwood even though I have no doubts he'll be a top 3 mid...

Will definitely be in my team by the end of the year though

Rusty00

Quote from: GoLions16 on January 23, 2014, 07:51:01 PM
Oddly enough, I've barely even considered Jelwood even though I have no doubts he'll be a top 3 mid...

Will definitely be in my team by the end of the year though
Same here

Ricochet

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-01-27/selwood-lazarus-like

GEELONG skipper Joel Selwood is supremely confident that he'll be fit for the opening round of the home and away season, despite being sidelined by a foot problem.

shaker

Would not be to concerned with most small injuries with Selwood but feet problems are ringing a few alarm bells will not be starting him