Is Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin closing in on his last game for the club?

Started by Ricochet, September 18, 2013, 09:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

Yeah that is true! Plus he gets to have another go at a flag, maybe even a couple :)

quinny88

Buddy is probably one of the most recognised sportsman in the country full stop. Weather he's in Melbourne or Darwin, everyone knows who he is. He won't cop the hassle he does down here but if he thinks he will be able to wander down the street without anyone noticing him then he has another thing coming. Mark McVeigh reported on SEN that it was huge news even in Sydney, bigger than when plugger went there.
Buddy's other down fall is that he is apparently moving over with some mates of his that play rugby and are moving to Sydney clubs (no idea who. I don't know anything about rugby) and they are huge names that attract a lot of attention. The attention he is going to avoid will be marginally less than it is in Melbourne.

As far as the staggering of money, there is no way on earth he is going to be getting less now while he is in the prime of his career and then more later on when he is washed up. He will be getting top dollar as of day 1 or he wouldn't have made the move. He may even get a lot more now and staggered down over the later years of the contract. There not gonna be paying an old bloke 1.2 mill a year or something.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all pans out. It's a massive investment from Sydney, they would want to win atleast 1 flag in the next 3 years. For Hawthorn it means little. They lose a star but they got their money's worth out of him. 2 premierships, 2 Coleman medals, how ever many all Australians, a highlights package to last a lifetime, oh and they can always smile knowing they got him instead of tambling :(
They also know full well that they play just as well, if not better without him.

Cicjose

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-03/pickering-opens-up-on-buddy

there is going to be a lot more scrutiny on him now that Sydney have a gun forward line

every single week they will expect Sydney to win

T Dog

a lot more sides will be praying for rain when playing in Sydney next year..lol... ;D

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: T Dog on October 04, 2013, 10:18:59 AM
a lot more sides will be praying for rain when playing in Sydney next year..lol... ;D

I don't think many clubs have won in Sydney when its raining :P although understand your point :D

Living with NRL stars (if you can call them that) is likely to make him even less noticed.

If Franklin walks down the street with even a slightly well known NRL player, Buddy isn't the one who's going to be the one being swamped.

About 60% of my sporting friends are NRL fans, and the only AFL player they can name at all is Barry Hall. And that was only after 4 years of him breaking people's jaws.

This is not Victoria. 80% of the population in Sydney will not recognise Franklin at all

tbagrocks

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 04, 2013, 10:35:24 AM

I don't think many clubs have won in Sydney when its raining :P although understand your point :D

Living with NRL stars (if you can call them that) is likely to make him even less noticed.

If Franklin walks down the street with even a slightly well known NRL player, Buddy isn't the one who's going to be the one being swamped.

About 60% of my sporting friends are NRL fans, and the only AFL player they can name at all is Barry Hall. And that was only after 4 years of him breaking people's jaws.

This is not Victoria. 80% of the population in Sydney will not recognise Franklin at all
It was a warm September in 1998, Peter Vardy had his foot numbed and kicked 7, the rain was ai it's best, Semi Final Swans v Crows

Like a centimetre of rain covered the SCG, most amount of water I've seen for a pro game, Crows belted the Swans :D

SydneyRox

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 05, 2013, 10:00:21 PM

It was a warm September in 1998, Peter Vardy had his foot numbed and kicked 7, the rain was ai it's best, Semi Final Swans v Crows

Like a centimetre of rain covered the SCG, most amount of water I've seen for a pro game, Crows belted the Swans :D

looking fwd to crows v swans next year?

Ziplock

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 05, 2013, 10:00:21 PM

The fact that you went back 15 years probably proves my point