Is Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin closing in on his last game for the club?

Started by Ricochet, September 18, 2013, 09:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SydneyRox

Quote from: henry on October 01, 2013, 04:00:47 PM

1) How sydney can afford it at all, having poached tippett last year.
The common response to this on social media has been that a lot of players are leaving. Ok, let's have a look. Swans that have left the club are are likely to this offseason: Mumford, White, Bolton, Matner, Brown.

Its also about how they structure the deal. Front end. Back end as well. Goodes, ROK and Richards all on good deals leaving before both Tippett and Buddys deals expire.

2) Why do sydney want him?
Reid, Pyke, Mumford, White, Tippett, Franklin and probably a couple of other lesser names are in their squad which play key forward roles.  Even if Mumford and White leave as expected, that's still a surplus. Why would they spend so much money on a player who will not improve their list that much??

Mummy and White have been gone for a while. So Sydneys need to upgrade the fwd line makes sense

3) Why did buddy choose them?

It was commonly speculated and logically assumed that the reason Buddy would be leaving is money.

Obviously not his #1 motivation.

Mailman the 2nd

This is basically the same situation as Tippett.

You'll give him his 2 months worth of shower, but when the footy season starts you'll leave him be.

Just respect that he wants to leave the club, and focus on actually playing football. No doubt that's what both Sydney, Hawthorn and Franklin want.

Ziplock

Rusty00

Quote from: Ziplock on October 01, 2013, 04:34:10 PM
apparently a 9 year contract...

for a 26 year old, fair enough.
No way he'll play out that contract so they'll be paying him after he's retired. Presumably there doing it this way so they can spread the money out thinner each year.

My Chumps

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 01, 2013, 04:31:53 PM

The common response to this on social media has been that a lot of players are leaving. Ok, let's have a look. Swans that have left the club are are likely to this offseason: Mumford, White, Bolton, Matner, Brown.

Its also about how they structure the deal. Front end. Back end as well. Goodes, ROK and Richards all on good deals leaving before both Tippett and Buddys deals expire.
Morton leaving too. These are my very rough estimates for salaries of leaving players:
Mumford 450k
Bolton 350k
Mattner 250k
White 250k
Morton 200k
Brown 150k

Also, for everyone else:
the extra 9% in fact is spread across the entire playing list. It is not just set aside to throw at big name players. Bolton, Mattner, Morton, Mumford & White possibly all gone, there's the cap space to throw at Buddy right there. If GWS, who also get the same COLA, had of secured Buddy, no one would have said anything about it, but as soon as a winning team do it, it's not right. Having said that, I'd like to see the COLA cut so people can get a bit more inventive with finding something to cry about.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: My Chumps on October 01, 2013, 05:30:16 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on October 01, 2013, 04:31:53 PM

Morton leaving too. These are my very rough estimates for salaries of leaving players:
Mumford 450k
Bolton 350k
Mattner 250k
White 250k
Morton 200k
Brown 150k

Also, for everyone else:
the extra 9% in fact is spread across the entire playing list. It is not just set aside to throw at big name players. Bolton, Mattner, Morton, Mumford & White possibly all gone, there's the cap space to throw at Buddy right there. If GWS, who also get the same COLA, had of secured Buddy, no one would have said anything about it, but as soon as a winning team do it, it's not right. Having said that, I'd like to see the COLA cut so people can get a bit more inventive with finding something to cry about.

lol well said

TeeJay

Sydney supporters are the only poeple in the country that think this is all fair and well LOL its complete and utter BS and thats coming from a Geelong supporter that hates Hawthorn.

And Chumps I think your figures are a little off!
You reckon Morton was getting 200k a season? lol for what? Carrying the players bags? He would have been on 100 if he was lucky.
Brown would have been on less than 100 and Mummy about 350

My Chumps

Yeah alright, Morton and Brown were a bit excessive but I'm pretty confident about Mumford's 450k. And that still adds up to more than 1.4 mill.

JBs-Hawks

You still need to fill list with atleast 5 other players, even if they are base waged, thats still 500k.

SydneyRox

the deal doesnt have to be even either? for all we know the last year of mummy deal could have been $600k

and years 1 -3 of buddys could be $800k

henry

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 01, 2013, 05:56:04 PM
the deal doesnt have to be even either? for all we know the last year of mummy deal could have been $600k

Can't see buddy earning under a mil in his first couple of years if he's agreed to it, would have to be front loaded somewhat. Could be right about mummy though.

Ziplock

it's a 9 year contract... any player with half a brain would take that, even if hypothetically he wasnt earning as much as we thought he would be.

And I dont have an issue with the cost of living payments, however, as someone pointed out in another post (mightn't have been this topic), they should probably be capped after like 500k or something, and then anything left over spread over the players evenly.

SydneyRox

Quote from: henry on October 01, 2013, 09:51:17 PM

Can't see buddy earning under a mil in his first couple of years if he's agreed to it, would have to be front loaded somewhat. Could be right about mummy though.

if the story is right 10 mil over 9 years means he could easily earn unders for a few years. not sure but $800k is prob what he is on now on a little more?

all about clever accounting.....

henry

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 02, 2013, 01:01:27 AM
Quote from: henry on October 01, 2013, 09:51:17 PM

if the story is right 10 mil over 9 years means he could easily earn unders for a few years. not sure but $800k is prob what he is on now on a little more?

all about clever accounting.....
Yeah I guess if he's earning 10 mill in the long doesn;t matter too much how it is staggered. I think he probably would be on around 800k now, maybe a little more.

tor01doc

Hope he meets some really cool drug dealers.   8)

PS Thanks for the memories.