Is Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin closing in on his last game for the club?

Started by Ricochet, September 18, 2013, 09:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Joshua Kay ‏@js_kay 28m

Last time a @HawthornFC number 23 rockstar joined @sydneyswans he played a total of 7 games & got suspended for a total of 14

JBs-Hawks

Would have respected buddy going to the giants, but swans??? cow can eat a dick!

SydneyRox

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 01, 2013, 02:11:03 PM
Joshua Kay ‏@js_kay 28m

Last time a @HawthornFC number 23 rockstar joined @sydneyswans he played a total of 7 games & got suspended for a total of 14

LOL - yeah that was a bust!

Cicjose

Vinny

Mr.Craig

Shane Crawford ‏@SCrawf9 2m

Hawthorns offer to big bud was bigger then both GWS and Sydney what more could they do? #hewants2liveinsydney #freedom #istillovehim

henry

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on October 01, 2013, 02:28:01 PM
Would have respected buddy going to the giants, but swans??? cow can eat a dick!
Same.. do not understand at all a few things about this move.

1) How sydney can afford it at all, having poached tippett last year.
The common response to this on social media has been that a lot of players are leaving. Ok, let's have a look. Swans that have left the club are are likely to this offseason: Mumford, White, Bolton, Matner, Brown.

Brown is a rookie that didn't play a game, would be on hardly any money whatsoever. White was a fringe player until this season, so wouldn't be on much either. Bolton would be on a fair amount, but he's a veteran so a considerable amount of that doesn't go under the cap. Mumford would be on a fair bit, granted. Matner and Morton would be on average amounts.

How the hell can they afford 1.4million a year on 1 player if they spent big money on another player last year.

Say whatever you want about the salary cap, but a system that allows a team who won a premiership top up their list with the 2 highest paid forwards in the game in the next 2 years without all that much leaving as yet is ridiculous and clearly not doing its desired job.

2) Why do sydney want him?
Reid, Pyke, Mumford, White, Tippett, Franklin and probably a couple of other lesser names are in their squad which play key forward roles.  Even if Mumford and White leave as expected, that's still a surplus. Why would they spend so much money on a player who will not improve their list that much??

3) Why did buddy choose them?

It was commonly speculated and logically assumed that the reason Buddy would be leaving is money. Why then would he choose to go to sydney, where he earns $600k a year less than GWS? Is it because they are a better premiership chance? Well I think Hawthorn are clearly a stronger chance for next years premiership than Sydney, perhaps more so that buddy has left now lol.  It's not like he hasn't got mates at the hawks, and I can't see him fitting into sydneys team focused culture well at all. I could understand him going to gwsI am struggling to understand why he would leave to sydney.

I am disappointed that he's left, although I don't believe those who think we are a better team without him (when he's at full fitness unlike he was for the majority of the year) I don't think he will adversely effect us too much, providing we can pick up someone decent like mumford in this trade period. I can't really begrudge him leaving after giving us 2 premierships and 8 years service, I am just disappointed and can't understand how or why he can go to sydney.

Nige

This is actually pretty sad.  :(

Shane Crawford ‏@SCrawf9 4m

I just told my son buddy's not playing for hawks anymore #lotsoftears #holyshower

Ricochet

Quote from: henry on October 01, 2013, 04:00:47 PM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on October 01, 2013, 02:28:01 PM
Same.. do not understand at all a few things about this move.

1) How sydney can afford it at all, having poached tippett last year.
The common response to this on social media has been that a lot of players are leaving. Ok, let's have a look. Swans that have left the club are are likely to this offseason: Mumford, White, Bolton, Matner, Brown.

Brown is a rookie that didn't play a game, would be on hardly any money whatsoever. White was a fringe player until this season, so wouldn't be on much either. Bolton would be on a fair amount, but he's a veteran so a considerable amount of that doesn't go under the cap. Mumford would be on a fair bit, granted. Matner and Morton would be on average amounts.

How the hell can they afford 1.4million a year on 1 player if they spent big money on another player last year.

Say whatever you want about the salary cap, but a system that allows a team who won a premiership top up their list with the 2 highest paid forwards in the game in the next 2 years without all that much leaving as yet is ridiculous and clearly not doing its desired job.

2) Why do sydney want him?
Reid, Pyke, Mumford, White, Tippett, Franklin and probably a couple of other lesser names are in their squad which play key forward roles.  Even if Mumford and White leave as expected, that's still a surplus. Why would they spend so much money on a player who will not improve their list that much??

3) Why did buddy choose them?

It was commonly speculated and logically assumed that the reason Buddy would be leaving is money. Why then would he choose to go to sydney, where he earns $600k a year less than GWS? Is it because they are a better premiership chance? Well I think Hawthorn are clearly a stronger chance for next years premiership than Sydney, perhaps more so that buddy has left now lol.  It's not like he hasn't got mates at the hawks, and I can't see him fitting into sydneys team focused culture well at all. I could understand him going to gwsI am struggling to understand why he would leave to sydney.

I am disappointed that he's left, although I don't believe those who think we are a better team without him (when he's at full fitness unlike he was for the majority of the year) I don't think he will adversely effect us too much, providing we can pick up someone decent like mumford in this trade period. I can't really begrudge him leaving after giving us 2 premierships and 8 years service, I am just disappointed and can't understand how or why he can go to sydney.

1) I dunno either mate. But this was posted earlier in the day.

Trade Radio ‏@traderadio 1m
This is what @craighutchy said on @FootyClassified last Monday re Buddy to the @sydneyswans #TradeDebate pic.twitter.com/I8PEAB25OW

2) No flowering idea why they need him, unless there is something else already in motion :o

3) Stated somewhere else before, have it from a very good source the Buddy hates the limelight outside of footy and the constant attention that affects his personal life. Loves the fact he'll be able to walk down Sydney's streets and not be hassled as much as Melbourne. It is a major factor in this move. The money is similar at both GWS and Sydney, so then it comes down to premierships i guess. He has a greater chance of winning another at Sydney

Nige

Yeah, it has been said that him wanting to be out of the limelight means a lot to him, he hates having all the attention that he gets here.

henry

Quote from: Ricochet on October 01, 2013, 04:09:12 PM

This is what @craighutchy said on @FootyClassified last Monday re Buddy to the @sydneyswans #TradeDebate pic.twitter.com/I8PEAB25OW

2) No flowering idea why they need him, unless there is something else already in motion :o

3) Stated somewhere else before, have it from a very good source the Buddy hates the limelight outside of footy and the constant attention that affects his personal life. Loves the fact he'll be able to walk down Sydney's streets and not be hassled as much as Melbourne. It is a major factor in this move. The money is similar at both GWS and Sydney, so then it comes down to premierships i guess. He has a greater chance of winning another at Sydney

The limelight thing makes sense, but surely when you're a big a name as buddy franklin you'll be recognised wherever you go. The money is not at all similar, 1.4mill for sydney compared to 2 mill for gws. 600k each year!

That photo doesn't make sense either really, reid hasn't left and is contracted until 2017 or something I hear. Cheers for trying to clear it up, not sure anyone will be able to lol.

JBs-Hawks

Hes Buddy, hes still getting the attention in Sydney. Especially if he gets any ambassadorial role, he will be on every AFL advert in Sydney.

Mr.Craig

Buddy loved the attention. He only hated it when he acted like a goose and the media got on his back.

Ricochet

Quote from: henry on October 01, 2013, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 01, 2013, 04:09:12 PM

The limelight thing makes sense, but surely when you're a big a name as buddy franklin you'll be recognised wherever you go. The money is not at all similar, 1.4mill for sydney compared to 2 mill for gws. 600k each year!

That photo doesn't make sense either really, reid hasn't left and is contracted until 2017 or something I hear. Cheers for trying to clear it up, not sure anyone will be able to lol.
Yeh not sure mate, just what I've been told. From my understanding it is quieter for him in Sydney.

GWS's offer was 1.2 over 6 years

Ricochet

Attention on game day and official footy business is not the same as being hassled when at the shops or walking dow the street.

Believe it or not fellas but it is a major factor in this move.