Is Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin closing in on his last game for the club?

Started by Ricochet, September 18, 2013, 09:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/is-hawthorn-superstar-lance-franklin-closing-in-on-his-last-game-for-the-club/story-fni5ezdm-1226721165352

The biggest bit I took out of this article that I did not know was

QuoteThat he has made his club sweat on a decision all season suggests he is out of there. Because why wouldnt he have accepted Hawthorns best offer -- estimated to be about $1 million to $1.1 million -- that is believed to be now off the table.

SydneyRox

Rusty00

I don't really understand this on-the-table, off-the-table business.

If Franklin came to the club today and said I want to accept your offer now, there is no way the club is going to say "no sorry, that offer is off the table now. Here is a new, lower offer".

SydneyRox

Wouldnt they? Business wise I reckon they might.

It is strange timing though.

Taking the offer off the table is generally a negotiation tactic. Trying to force his hand, make him feel less confident about himself and the GWS side of things. Do you really want an unfocused Buddy playing over the next two weeks?

Ricochet

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 18, 2013, 10:35:28 AM

If Franklin came to the club today and said I want to accept your offer now, there is no way the club is going to say "no sorry, that offer is off the table now. Here is a new, lower offer".
It's just the way business works.

Agree timing is weird

Rusty00

Quote from: Ricochet on September 18, 2013, 10:44:40 AM

Agree timing is weird
Maybe it's because of how well we played in the QF without him. Try and make him think that maybe he is not needed so they have the upper hand in the negotiations with him.

Ricochet

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 18, 2013, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 18, 2013, 10:44:40 AM

Agree timing is weird
Maybe it's because of how well we played in the QF without him. Try and make him think that maybe he is not needed so they have the upper hand in the negotiations with him.
Very possible. But to be completely honest, who bloody knows what's going on in this negotiation

SydneyRox

Fairfax Media understands the most recent offer to Franklin was removed at the end of July after the player failed to respond to a club-imposed deadline.

Just read the full article from Carowhine.

Nige

I've been pretty confident that Buddy's not going to re-sign with the Hawks for most of the year, so this article is an interesting one.

dirkdiggler

Quote from: SydneyRox on September 18, 2013, 10:21:10 AM
Heard that this morning... unbelievable!  :o

Hawks made the offer knowing he wouldn't sign it. Tell the media is the biggest deal ever offered to a Hawk, put a deadline on it, take it off the table, and leave Buddy with no real leverage when he sits down with GWS. It makes it less likely that GWS will offer him something he can't refuse...and more likely that he'll stay at Hawks......That being said...I still think he'll go

JBs-Hawks

All media build up!

We're just focused on playing footy atm, contracts being put forward and taken back will happen in 2 weeks.

dirkdiggler

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on September 18, 2013, 04:49:22 PM
All media build up!

We're just focused on playing footy atm, contracts being put forward and taken back will happen in 2 weeks.

should be resolved by Saturday morning then... :P

Vinny

Will be weird seeing him in a GWS jumper! But that is a very strong forward line for the Giants :P

Nige

Quote from: vinny on September 18, 2013, 05:24:48 PM
Will be weird seeing him in a GWS jumper! But that is a very strong forward line for the Giants :P

Here's something to help you get used to it.  :P

Ricochet