Main Menu

Priority Pick?

Started by ossie85, September 10, 2013, 04:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

I'm not really sure what the difference is between what Melbourne did, and what Freo did in Round 23 this year. Freo basically forfeited that match to get an advantage - isn't that tanking? They might win a flag from that tactic

kilbluff1985

Hawthorn did the same thing last year

Hard to make a rule against it or clubs will just make up minor injuries like a sore back or an ankle knock or something

Having a bye between the home and away season and the finals might stop it

And look at west coast they were playing not 100% players until they knew they had no chance of making the 8

Ricochet

Quote from: ossie85 on September 11, 2013, 12:50:50 PM

I'm not really sure what the difference is between what Melbourne did, and what Freo did in Round 23 this year. Freo basically forfeited that match to get an advantage - isn't that tanking? They might win a flag from that tactic
Freo won't get better picks from it though?

Ziplock

Ithink that's the distinction- purposely losing games in order to get better draft picks.

that being said, lyon might have thought he could take the saints with that team :P

Rusty00

The difference is that "tanking" (which is what Melbourne were accused of) is deliberately trying to lose. Freo didn't give themselves the best chance of winning by picking a weakened team but they weren't trying to deliberately lose.

The Hawks game (against Gold Coast in Rd.24 2011) always gets brought up in this topic as well which is so stupid because the Hawks actually won that game. St Kilda also did it a few years ago (under Ross Lyon  ;) ) leading into the finals against Hawthorn in Tasmania and still won the game  :-\

ossie85

Quote from: Ricochet on September 11, 2013, 01:11:42 PM

No, just a Premiership! Which was Melbourne's ultimate goal also....

Melbourne also actually won the game (against the Tigers) that turned out to be there downfall

tbagrocks

Quote from: Ziplock on September 11, 2013, 12:34:59 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on September 10, 2013, 09:17:27 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on September 10, 2013, 08:12:23 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on September 10, 2013, 04:42:24 PM
Give them #1 why not? Pies won one flag, Demons nothing, Saints nothing, Blues nothing, but three of the four to get that #1 priority came back to be pretty good!

Also it stops the cheats (GWS) getting Boyd!

gws aren't cheats, and I'm sick of hearing a crows supporter spew that bs.
Then stop trading for draft picks and waiting for your team to grow over being competitive early, also, we didn't cheat so build a bridge!

yeah, your club got fined and had draft picks taken away for not cheating.

sorry, I forgot.

lots of clubs trade draft picks mate.
Those clubs didn't already have 25 teenagers on their list! Oh no we only have 25 teenagers, better trade and get some more! Cheats!

SydneyRox

Quote from: ossie85 on September 11, 2013, 03:53:33 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 11, 2013, 01:11:42 PM

No, just a Premiership! Which was Melbourne's ultimate goal also....

But Freo werent aiming to get handouts from the AFL to win the premiership.

There is an absolute distinction between resting players to prime them for following games and not playing your best team in an effort to lose so that you can gain from priority picks.

Capper

Quote from: tbagrocks on September 10, 2013, 10:49:13 PM
Quote from: tabs on September 10, 2013, 10:09:02 PM
Cant be pick 1, but at the end of Round 1 maybe
I don't see why it coundn't, the AFL is supposed to protect the brand, a good Melbourne footy club should be the priority!

Clubs got #1 for worse well guess what, this club is now worse so ........
not after getting fined for not tanking

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on September 11, 2013, 03:54:36 PM
Give them #1 why not? Pies won one flag, Demons nothing, Saints nothing, Blues nothing, but three of the four to get that #1 priority came back to be pretty good!

Then stop trading for draft picks and waiting for your team to grow over being competitive early, also, we didn't cheat so build a bridge!

sorry, I forgot.

Those clubs didn't already have 25 teenagers on their list! Oh no we only have 25 teenagers, better trade and get some more! Cheats!

where in any rules does it say that you can't trade for picks if you have x amount of players under x age?

players like omeara, crouch, hogan, martin are going to be absolute machines. The mini draft picks used to get them were premium standard, and clubs weren't prepared to play ball with any equally valuable players... so instead of getting shower mature age players for great picks, gws traded great picks for good picks.

Rusty00

Quote from: Ziplock on September 11, 2013, 05:09:14 PM

sorry, I forgot.

where in any rules does it say that you can't trade for picks if you have x amount of players under x age?

players like omeara, crouch, hogan, martin are going to be absolute machines. The mini draft picks used to get them were premium standard, and clubs weren't prepared to play ball with any equally valuable players... so instead of getting shower mature age players for great picks, gws traded great picks for good picks.
I'm not sure why you keep arguing with him about this topic ??? It is kind of amusing to read though  ;)

meow meow

Melbourne don't need a priority pick. They have had a plethora of early picks and most of them haven't come on at all. What they need is better coaches so they can develop their players. The AFL is helping to pay Roos' wage so that is more than enough help for the Dees.

Plus Hogan is coming onto their list, so that is a top 5 pick right there.

kilbluff1985

St Kilda need a priority pick maybe?

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on September 11, 2013, 05:28:43 PM
St Kilda need a priority pick maybe?

3 years ago we were red hot contenders in the premiership race... a toe poke and a spastic bounce of a ball away from winning back to back flags...

add in a couple of prelims and like 6 or 7 years of playing finals, and now that we're actually near the bottom, ya think we actually deserve a priority pick? i'd love one,  don't get me wrong.. but we've got zero chance. it'd actually be a sort of slap in the face

JBs-Hawks

sorry, I forgot.

Crows are the cheats!