Teams get two byes each in 2014 confirmed

Started by kilbluff1985, August 28, 2013, 05:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

Patrick Keane on Twitter:

AFL Commission has approved a change to fixture structure - each club to now have two byes & season to comprise 22 matches across 25 weeks.

2014 season will now start with a split rd1 across the weekends of March 14-16 & March 21-23 and go through to August 29-31, pre finals.

First group of byes likely to be across rounds 8-10 (3 weeks of 6 matches per round) & 2nd group of byes in run to finals approx rds 18-19.

AFL Commission had also approved a more formalised

BB67th

Why do the byes need to be over stupid split rounds?

Either everyone takes a week off or you play one round over two weeks, either would not be very hard.

kilbluff1985

totally agree would be a money thing though I think or something to do with broadcasting

stupid bloody copy and paste issue cut off my post

Ringo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-28/league-announces-change-to-season-structure

The last paragraph in this statement gives you the answer:

"Lethlean added that the requirements of the existing TV deal made it too difficult to make radical changes to the structure of the fixture, but there was a strong push by the Commission for fixture optimization and equalisation, as well as to start the season earlier and to add a second bye."

Why have a split round to start again why not all together and then we can have 2 3 round byes.

Mr.Craig

I don't even want to contemplate how annoying this will be from a fantasy viewpoint. :'(

What interests me the most if the earlier start to the season. Any word on the make-up of next year's NAB Cup?

LF

Will the be able to start the season earlier wasn't there a conflict with the cricket and the availability of the MCG this year?

BB67th

Quote from: luvfooty on August 28, 2013, 05:43:02 PM
Will the be able to start the season earlier wasn't there a conflict with the cricket and the availability of the MCG this year?
Pretty sure that the dates are being changed for the Shield season. Not completely sure though.

Mr.Craig

Should have read the article before posting. Nevermind.

Ringo

Quote from: Mr.Craig on August 28, 2013, 05:41:15 PM
I don't even want to contemplate how annoying this will be from a fantasy viewpoint. :'(

What interests me the most if the earlier start to the season. Any word on the make-up of next year's NAB Cup?
From the Article

"The pre season period will be revitalised to feature two matches per Club scheduled nationally, with a continued focus on regional areas that dont normally host premiership matches, as well as matches in metropolitan areas and managing the travel load across all teams. In place of the NAB Cup Grand Final, the AFL is currently considering options for a representative-style game in the final week of the pre-season, together with intraclub matches for all teams, before round one gets underway."

PowerMan

Looks like more bench places for next season!

even more of a reason to keep making my fixture spreadsheet next season.  ;D

PowerBug

Hopefully the same teams have the same bye weeks, that'd be nice. Teams A-F have rd 8 and Rd 18, Teams G-L have 9 and 19 etc...
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

T Dog