The Footy Park/AAMI Stadium Memorial Thread

Started by Mr.Craig, August 28, 2013, 01:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

We all know the place had a multitude of issues but I thought those familiar with Footy Park could share the good memories they have.

For me it was the first place I ever experienced AFL football and it was the first time I'd ever seen my Hawks live.

During a sold out Port vs Collingwood game my mate passed me his membership through the gates and I was able to sneak in. :D

There was the kick to kicks after the game, racing off to Macca's or HJ's at half time, being entertained by a level of boganism I could have never imagined.

Some of the football was just amazing, especially the Showdowns or when the big Victorian powerhouses came to town.

I was given a ticket to see the Port vs Hawthorn semi final in 2001 and that was probably my happiest moment.

There's over 16 years of memories for me and I'm sure some of you have experienced that go back further to the heyday of the SANFL when massive crowds would pack into the place.

Maybe one day in the future we will reminisce about AFL at Adelaide Oval and be looking forward to life at a new shiny stadium? Who knows.

Grazz

A lot of memories  for me, didn't have to think to hard for them to come flooding back.
The first would be playing mini league at about 14 years of age there at night, playing for the Bulldogs against Sturt, we won.
The State of Origin games versus Victoria were incredible getting to see the best of Victoria and our boys, some of the best players to play the game, stars on every line, loved them. One night we were lined up about a dozen people from getting a ticket and they closed the gates. There was quite a crowd still outside and some ticked of big lads were abusing the Red coats (Staff) then they just ripped the fence up from the bottom and heaps of us ran under the fence and got in that way, Sticks kicked 9 that night I think.

1991 the Crows came in and so many memories from over the years with them. All the finals, Showdowns, players that have come and gone the Modra years were great. Spilling Beer all down the front of Mark Bickley's Mum (Who was very nice about it,lovely lady) then fondling her breast's as I attempt to wipe it off before realising what I was actually doing and saying sorry sorry im really really sorry haha. The Shed parties were good after a finals win or a big game. he times spent with friends there, some no longer here, real good fun times when life was a lot easier (No mortgage or kids) lol some great times...

The SANFL Grandfinals wins and loses with the Bulldogs hold a lot of memories.

In a sense it will be sad to see it go but Adelaide Oval will be so much easier to get to and back from. Get on the train to easy, can have a beer without counting them, head into town after or head home whatever you like, its a good thing.

Toga

My best was probably when our primary school footy team was invited to play on the field at half time of a Port game about 8 years ago - was a great experience to be running around out there on the turf!

But to be honest I can't wait for footy to be back in the city, bring on Adelaide Oval! :)

ossie85

My favourite moment!

Ben Johnson tackling Peter Burgoyne at a crucial stage in the 2002 QF

That match still ranks as one of my favourite all time!

Rusty00

Some good memories for me also.

Played mini league there a couple of times when I was a youngster. Saw numerous Port Magpies premierships through the 90's. Was at the 2004 preliminary final when Fraser Gehrig kicked his 100th goal and then Port went onto win by a kick to get into their first grand final.

Although i dont have many good memories as a hawks supporter as our record there was pretty average, it is home to my greatest memory, the 2001 semi final win over Port. That was a great night I will never forget  :D

ossie85

Quote from: PowerBug on August 28, 2013, 09:39:22 AM
First match I went to was Crows vs Bulldogs.

My first and only game at AAMI Stadium was a Crows v Bulldogs match also :)

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 28, 2013, 09:50:45 AM
Although i dont have many good memories as a hawks supporter as our record there was pretty average

The 2005 Port vs Hawks game was the low point. A 188-71 destruction that left me shattered. I just sat outside the ground for the last quarter waiting for my friends, having some very dark thoughts.

I saw an international rules game there years ago. That was pretty cool, even though Australia lost.

Rusty00

Quote from: Mr.Craig on August 28, 2013, 01:25:08 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on August 28, 2013, 09:50:45 AM
Although i dont have many good memories as a hawks supporter as our record there was pretty average

The 2005 Port vs Hawks game was the low point. A 188-71 destruction that left me shattered. I just sat outside the ground for the last quarter waiting for my friends, having some very dark thoughts.

I saw an international rules game there years ago. That was pretty cool, even though Australia lost.
I went to about 10-12 consecutive games there against Crows/Power without seeing a win and to make matters worse it always seemed to rain as well  :'( The hawks only won there once in those years...... when I was on holidays overseas  ::)

I think the win against the Crows early this year was our first win for about the last 10-12 games at Aami Stadium against them.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 28, 2013, 03:10:21 PM
I think the win against the Crows early this year was our first win for about the last 10-12 games at Aami Stadium against them.

We got up in a thriller in 2008. Hodgey kicked the winner. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIa2ytcdOY

Mr.Craig

The 1976 SANFL grand final where the crowd was so big they had to let people sit along the boundary line...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T60zP9G_Qms

Rusty00

Quote from: Mr.Craig on August 28, 2013, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on August 28, 2013, 03:10:21 PM

We got up in a thriller in 2008. Hodgey kicked the winner. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIa2ytcdOY
Ah yes, I forgot that one. I was watching it from a hotel room in the Gold Coast sitting next to my wife who is a Crows supporter  ;)

McRooster

Before the Eastern side of the ground was ever covered the concrete terraces ran all the way from the front few rows of bench seats to the back of the stadium and I remember seeing a couple 'doing it' up on the higher levels of the terrace as we chased the footy we were playing kick to kick with. I can't remember who was playing but I do remember that day being allowed on the ground after for a kick and picking up some grass and putting it in my pocket to take home as a memento.

Fosters Cup and when Mark Jackson came to town to play. The group behind the goals would move from end to end to follow Jacko at full forward. Me and my mates folded pages of the Bugdet (Record) and flew paper planes out onto the field at Jacko and he'd pick them up and throw them back at the crowd or at his opponent.

85, 86 and 87 Grand finals, Nth Adelaide v Glenelg and the Roosters FInALly getting up in 87!

The noise when David Wildy whacked Stephen Kernahan behind the ear in the GF one year and the noise David Kernahan's whack made when he cracked Wildy in the square up later in the game.

Playing my first game in the u17's carnival for Nth Adelaide in 1988.

The 1 goal kicked by Nth Adelaide (Burton) in the 89 GF.

The blood bath of the 91 Grand final and seeing Steven Sims at the Hampstead Hotel the next day with his eye closed over.

Modra's mark of the year in 93. I was right in the Tony Hall pocket. This was after a day at the super bikes at Mallala and me and the Missus had ridden all the way on my Gpz1100 to get there just in time. Saw an old mate of mine at the gate and he let us park the bike right up by the southern entrance.

Other random highlights - Modra kicking 13 against Richmond, Mcleods 250th, Trent Hentchel 8 goals, Chad Cornes last game. U2 playing there and Bono phone calling Graham Cornes live on stage.

My biggest moment however was seeing my son play his first ever Auskick game. Super proud. He spent most of the time hugging the goal post in an oversized guernsey and playing chasey with his mate  ::) and he loved every moment.

I will miss most the people you sat near and with for so many years. Many of whom we have shared more than football moments with.

I will not miss the traffic (although we did get priority parking) and I look forward to our new seats and new friends at Adelaide Oval (I have taken the virtual tour and it looks very cool).

Master Q

Lots of awesome stories/memories here! Never got the chance to attend, hopefully I can visit Adelaide one day and go to the Oval. A question though, is AAMI Stadium really such a hassle to get to? Is it not in the city?

Quote from: Grazz on August 28, 2013, 01:51:34 AM
One night we were lined up about a dozen people from getting a ticket and they closed the gates. There was quite a crowd still outside and some ticked of big lads were abusing the Red coats (Staff) then they just ripped the fence up from the bottom and heaps of us ran under the fence and got in that way,
That is one hell of a story Grazz  ;D

Toga

Yep Q AAMI is like a half hour bus ride to get to from the city to West Lakes. Makes it a bit of a hassle as it means a trip to the footy will take a full day given the bus trip & having to line up at either end etc.

Although they introduced a footy express (free buses there & back) which made it a bit more convenient!

To put it in perspective I can walk to the Oval in the time it would take to catch a bus to West Lakes haha :P

Rusty00

Aami Stadium is also more isolated. There is a shopping centre across the road, a hotel and few restaurants within walking distances.

Whereas Adelaide Oval is walking distance from the city where you can pick and choose what you do before and after the footy.