Main Menu

Hawthorn List Management And Drafting

Started by Mr.Craig, August 21, 2013, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Dog

Hawks getting Big Boy McEvoy from Saints...only just heard on SEN...Wowee..Savage to Saints  with a pick

Ricochet

Yep here it is

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-swoops-on-star-saints-ruckman-ben-mcevoy-as-shane-savage-settles-at-st-kilda/story-fn69a32t-1226736583734

HAWTHORN has potentially pulled off another trade period coup by plucking St Kilda big man Ben McEvoy.

With the Hawks seemingly eyeing Brisbane's Billy Longer, the reigning premiers have nabbed McEvoy - the man considered a future leader at the Saints.

As part of the deal, St Kilda receives Hawk midfielder Shane Savage - who had seemed likely to head to Carlton - and the Hawks' first-round draft pick (selection 17 at this stage).

Toga

I can't believe the Saints went for that...

T Dog

Longer will just becoming good when Hale opts out in a couple of years. Sounds likea good plan to me.. 8)

Mailman the 2nd

Ricochet

Glenn Luff ‏@LuffG0305 20m
Ben McEvoy good around the ground when playing a kick behind the play. In the ruck his numbers are below average. Not all bad for the Saints

Rusty00

JBs-Hawks

Ricochet

Hawks List Manager Graham Wright on the deal:

It was only in the last couple of days it started. We were speaking to the Saints re Savage and Ben's name was brought up

It all went very quickly, he's overseas and that made it a little bit more difficult

(were you surprised?) A little bit. I know they had genuine interest in Shane, one from playing and NZ background (Saints links)

We were trying to get a pick that would satisfy Brisbane and then it comes up we need a ruckman. That's how it started

"how do you sell it to Longer when you have Hale and McEvoy?":  A little bit difficult

We see Hale playing mainly forward and relieving in the ruck.

We're still hopeful we can work out something with Billy (Longer) in the next couple of weeks.

[on Sewell] He was never on the table. A couple of clubs brought his name up Monday and then he's in the paper which is disappointing

Holz

that trade looks like a joke, are stkilda tanking for tom boyd?

why would you give up one of the best rucks in the comp who is 24.

Ricochet

Is he actually that good though?

Ranked 11th for Hitouts for this year. Even last year he wasn't inside the top 10

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 10, 2013, 09:49:31 AM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 10, 2013, 09:20:35 AM
Quote from: Rusty00 on October 10, 2013, 08:50:23 AM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 09, 2013, 10:33:33 PM
Collingwood lose more by losing Thomas than Hawthorn from Franklin.
What do you base that on?

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on October 09, 2013, 10:14:39 PM
And Tom Scully?  ::)
Scully was different as he was part of GWS concessions coming into the league. Compensation was different than compensation for Free Agency.

Basically, if Hawthorn always gets compensation = Franklin then they'll never be a bad team.

If Melbourne gets compensation = Scully they'll never become a good team
That has nothing to do with it.

The teams of all players who were selected by Gold Coast and GWS as part of their startup concessions (Ablett, Bock, Harbrow, Scully, Davis, Ward, etc.) were given compensation based on the AFL's perceived (current and future) worth of each player.

Compensation given for teams losing a player through Free Agency is different and is a maximum of one draft pick therefore the respective compensation given for Franklin and Scully can't be compared.

My question to you was what do you base this statement on?
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 09, 2013, 10:33:33 PM
Collingwood lose more by losing Thomas than Hawthorn from Franklin.

No I wasn't comparing Free agency and GWS/GC uncontracted players at all, I was just making a comparison between players from teams at the top and bottom of the ladder.

If you keep giving the best teams compensation for having good players then those teams will never be beaten and the same goes for the lesser teams.

The best players at Hawthorn is obviously going to be better than the best players of the bottom 4 teams, so if they get better draft picks, then the whole process of those clubs becoming competitive is completely thrown

Rusty00

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 10, 2013, 10:47:34 AM
No I wasn't comparing Free agency and GWS/GC uncontracted players at all, I was just making a comparison between players from teams at the top and bottom of the ladder.

If you keep giving the best teams compensation for having good players then those teams will never be beaten and the same goes for the lesser teams.

The best players at Hawthorn is obviously going to be better than the best players of the bottom 4 teams, so if they get better draft picks, then the whole process of those clubs becoming competitive is completely thrown
I agree. They should (and probably will) scrap the Free Agency compo picks anyway.

tor01doc

Quote from: Ricochet on October 10, 2013, 10:46:45 AM
Is he actually that good though?

Ranked 11th for Hitouts for this year. Even last year he wasn't inside the top 10

He is better than Bailey.

That screeching sound is the sound of back to back odds shortening.  ;)

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 10, 2013, 10:57:50 AM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 10, 2013, 10:47:34 AM

I agree. They should (and probably will) scrap the Free Agency compo picks anyway.

Yeah I think this'll be the last year they're in place