Main Menu

Hawthorn List Management And Drafting

Started by Mr.Craig, August 21, 2013, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Just opening this up to discussion about who needs to go, who should be upgraded and what type of trades and draftees should be considered for next season.

Senior List

Jarryd Roughead
Jordan Lewis
Matthew Suckling
Sam Mitchell
Josh Gibson
Michael Osborne
Xavier Ellis
Shaun Burgoyne
Bradley Hill
Brendan Whitecross
Brad Sewell
Kyle Cheney
Grant Birchall
Luke Hodge
Isaac Smith
Brian Lake
Brent Guerra
Jack Gunston
David Hale
Shane Savage
Luke Breust
Lance Franklin
Ben Stratton
Ryan Schoenmakers
Liam Shiels
Matt Spangher
Paul Puopolo
Luke Lowden
Angus Litherland
Jonathan Simpkin
Cyril Rioli
Jordan Kelly
Sam Grimley
Alex Woodward
Jed Anderson
Mitch Hallahan
Max Bailey
Tim O'Brien
Taylor Duryea
Kaiden Brand

Rookies

Andrew Boseley
The lightly built second-year defender has spent much of the season in the VFL reserves, with fellow backmen such as Matt Spangher, Kyle Cheney, Jordan Kelly and Angus Litherland ahead of him in Box Hill's seniors. But, according to Hawks' head of football Chris Fagan, Boseley has shown some good signs of late. "His last couple of weeks, he's played senior [VFL] footy and he's done his job quite well," Fagan said.

Jonathon Ceglar
The Hawks have been pleased with the 204cm ruckman's first season at the club, after selecting him in the rookie draft following delisting by Collingwood. He has earned two AFL games, and has played some excellent football for Box Hill, demonstrating rucking nous plus an ability to take a mark up forward. "He shows a lot of promise - we're very happy with him," Fagan said.

Amos Frank
Hawthorn's second-year project player from the remote Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands in northern South Australia, Frank played some good games early in the season, but a medial ligament injury sidelined him throughout July and has hampered his progress since. Will be given every opportunity to impress over the closing rounds and finals of the VFL season, but time is running out.

Will Langford
The son of 303-game Hawthorn champion Chris, Langford made his AFL debut against the Western Bulldogs in round 17. A hard-at-it player with excellent endurance, the 21-year-old has thrived in the VFL as a run-with midfielder since switching from half-back. An injury-free run has also helped. "His development has been fantastic this year; we think we've got a player," Fagan said. "We're really excited about the future with him." It wouldn't be a complete shock to see Langford win promotion to the senior list in 2014.

Derick Wanganeen
In his third season on the Hawks' rookie list and still yet to make his AFL debut, the South Australian started the year in hot and cold form as a small forward. But a switch to half-back, suggested by development coach Cameron Bruce, has given Wanganeen hope of extending his career at the club. "His last month has been outstanding - he's turned his season around," Fagan said. "He looks like a very confident player playing at half-back."

Mr.Craig

Just read that Mav Weller is possibly looking for a trade to the Hawks but Brisbane are keen on him too. Also it's claimed Taylor Adams is more interested in going to Richmond, Carlton or North.

Hawka

Seems Lowden will be delisted
Ellis will retire, be traded or even delisted
Ossie will retire
Like our back up rookie rucks previosuly (Skipper,Paul Johnson,Macualey) Ceg will most likely be delisted

Hopefully Langford gets upgraded and i think Wanganeen has to be upgraded to if we want him to stay

Rusty00

I think after 3 years on the rookie list we either need to upgrade Wanganeen or delist him and then re-draft him.

Not really sure about delistings, trades, etc. Obviously we need some young midfielders to develop for when the likes of Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell retire. I don't think we have much to use as trade bait though.

What sort of players is Alex Woodward? Inside or outside midfielder? Would be good if he could get an injury free run at things.

Nige

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 22, 2013, 10:00:08 AM
I think after 3 years on the rookie list we either need to upgrade Wanganeen or delist him and then re-draft him.

Not really sure about delistings, trades, etc. Obviously we need some young midfielders to develop for when the likes of Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell retire. I don't think we have much to use as trade bait though.

What sort of players is Alex Woodward? Inside or outside midfielder? Would be good if he could get an injury free run at things.

Have a look. In and under midfielder, really good player when fit. From what I know, the Hawks love him. I've stated this a million times, but I've seen him play a few times as we went to the same school and he was usually one of the best on ground every week.

Rusty00

Quote from: NigeyS on August 22, 2013, 11:38:41 AM
Quote from: Rusty00 on August 22, 2013, 10:00:08 AM

Have a look. In and under midfielder, really good player when fit. From what I know, the Hawks love him. I've stated this a million times, but I've seen him play a few times as we went to the same school and he was usually one of the best on ground every week.
Cheers for the info  :)

Nige

No worries mate, I'm a big supporter of his, even if he doesn't really know it. My school's community has always been pretty tight and we always support our Old Boys. 8) Haven't had too many hugely successful players to come through, hopefully Woodward and Arnot do well. 

nrich102

Would you guys like Karnizis? He wants to go down south.

Scrads

Quote from: nrich102 on August 30, 2013, 06:20:24 AM

Don't know enough about him to know for sure how he would fit or who's spot he would take/challenge for. What would it take in a trade to get him? If he has been languishing away in the NEAFL not making the Brisbane side I can't picture him being worth too much (no offence intended haha). Second round pick? Third round pick? Someone like Xavier Ellis?

Scrads

As for an overall team perspective:

Osborne
Ellis
Cheney

From our senior list would be the ones under fire. Some young guys like Litherland, Kelly, Lowden and Hallahan could also be under some pressure. I have never seen any of these guys play apart from a few NAB games each and haven't been tracking their progress at VFL level so don't really know where they are at in their footy. Woodward I would say they will probably persist with judging by the patience they showed with Max Bailey.

I think Grimmers has saved himself this year, earnt himself at least another year I would think.

This in mind, I only have a very vague idea of who is actually contracted for next year and who isn't.

nrich102

Quote from: Scrads on August 30, 2013, 12:33:38 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on August 30, 2013, 06:20:24 AM

Don't know enough about him to know for sure how he would fit or who's spot he would take/challenge for. What would it take in a trade to get him? If he has been languishing away in the NEAFL not making the Brisbane side I can't picture him being worth too much (no offence intended haha). Second round pick? Third round pick? Someone like Xavier Ellis?
The Lions don't want to play him cause he wont be there next year,

Nige

Jordan Kelly and Mitch Hallahan should be retained for another year, they'll be good replacements once guys like Guerra, Lake, Sewell and Mitchell move on. Am I right in saying that Hawthorn fans (who know a bit about their list)?

Rusty00

Guerra missed this week with back soreness again I think. You'd have to wonder whether he'll hang up the boots at the end of the year. They seem to have been managing him through this year.

henry

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 31, 2013, 04:07:08 PM
Guerra missed this week with back soreness again I think. You'd have to wonder whether he'll hang up the boots at the end of the year. They seem to have been managing him through this year.
Yeah wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case, he's been a great servant for the club but is not getting any younger and may want to call it quits after this year, especially if we won the premiership as it would be a very nice way to go out.

Mr.Craig