Best NBA player to ever live who ISN'T Jordan

Started by Levis43, August 14, 2013, 02:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levis43

Who is the best player to ever play in the NBA who isn't Jordan. I think Lebron will be the best player ever when he retires.

Holz

this is very tough as its hard to argue lebron. He is just too young and really its only half way through his career. I couldnt vote him even though he is on pace to be in this discussion or maybee even the GOAT discussion.

based on that its a easy vote though.

Magic Johnson.

most important player of all time, much like Lebron could play any role really. Basically all the attributes of a top big man while playing in the role of a guard, despite somehow not only seeminly not having ball handling, speed, footwork issues etc.. normally associated with big men he actually was better than all the 6 footers.

kingkingston

Jay

Its gotta be Bill Russell. The main with more rings than fingers.

BratPack

Earvin "Magic" Johnson and it's not even close

Jay

May be underrating Larry Bird here... The guy won 3 MVP's in a row during a dominant era of basketball - if only he wasn't cut down by injuries.

Magic, Bird, Russell, Wilt, Kareem. Just take your pick really, they are all legends :P

Holz

Quote from: Jayman on August 14, 2013, 05:51:24 PM
May be underrating Larry Bird here... The guy won 3 MVP's in a row during a dominant era of basketball - if only he wasn't cut down by injuries.

Magic, Bird, Russell, Wilt, Kareem. Just take your pick really, they are all legends :P

he is in the spot for 3rd.

Jordan >> Magic >>>>> Bird, Russell, Wilt, Kareem >>>>> Shaq etc.....

lebron TBD

Jay

Magic, Bird, Russell, Wilt, Kareem.
I thought the only fair way to seperate these guys is rings, hence Russell is no.2

I really don't think Magic is that far ahead of Bird at all! Bird was better than Magic for a large chunk of their careers until back injuries got Bird.

Andrew3737

Shaqs pretty close to it. But its prob Magic. Jordan>Magic>Shaq>Kareem>Lebron

Master Q

Quote from: Andrew3737 on August 14, 2013, 06:16:46 PM
Shaqs pretty close to it. But its prob Magic. Jordan>Magic>Shaq>Kareem>Lebron
Shaq is definitely not the third best of all time lol  :P

Jay

Andrew3737

He is pretty close to it. No one dominated like Shaq did for those 3 years. At 7ft, the guy is an absolute beast. Its a lot closer than you think.

For instance, alot of people have Kareem higher than Shaq.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=onealsh01&y1=2007&p2=abdulka01&y2=1984

I personally have Shaq higher, but Kareem higher isnt far fetched at all. Shaq has better ORB, TS, PER, BLK, USG and less TOV. Kareem has better win shares, because he won more than Shaq, but Shaq still won a shower tonne. Carrying 2 teams to 4 rings total.

He has a very good case to be in the top 5.

kingkingston

bird was awesome

Holz

Quote from: Andrew3737 on August 14, 2013, 06:36:42 PM
He is pretty close to it. No one dominated like Shaq did for those 3 years. At 7ft, the guy is an absolute beast. Its a lot closer than you think.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=onealsh01&y1=2007&p2=abdulka01&y2=1984

I personally have Shaq higher, but Kareem higher isnt far fetched at all. Shaq has better ORB, TS, PER, BLK, USG and less TOV. Kareem has better win shares, because he won more than Shaq, but Shaq still won a shower tonne. Carrying 2 teams to 4 rings total.

peak shaq is perhaps the most dominant player of all time. Kareem was the best big man for a long long time. thats why I put him higer.

Peak Sahq v Peak Kareem i probably lean towards Shaq

kingkingston

Quote from: Holzman on August 14, 2013, 06:56:21 PM
Quote from: Andrew3737 on August 14, 2013, 06:36:42 PM

peak shaq is perhaps the most dominant player of all time. Kareem was the best big man for a long long time. thats why I put him higer.

Peak Sahq v Peak Kareem i probably lean towards Shaq
don't forget Hakeem Olajuwon, he use to school Shaq something crazy