Main Menu

2013 British Review

Started by Ringo, August 06, 2013, 04:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

With the season now entering the final stages thought I would start a thread where we can openly discuss the British competition in General not individual teams or coaches but the competition.

Discuss things like what went wrong, what was good and how we can improve things.

All feel free to contribute and then we can make any changes by agreement of all prior to next years competition. Do not be afraid to even offer criticism of Administrator as well as my aim is to improve the competition after taking over when interest was being lost.

I will start the ball rolling with these suggested improvements and all open for comment.

We name 4 emergencies each week and with one being designated as a sub. If the sub scores higher than the lowest player on the field subs score will count instead. This will help with injuries occurring early as well.

When teams are not named rule is that weeks team is used - At the moment no penalty is involved and we had the case this year where a team was not named and using the previous weeks team won the match, Proposal is to invoke a 5% penalty for teams not being named and use last weeks team. Penalty in most cases should be between 60 - 80 points.

Is the rule for emergency replacements the right rule:
Say a defender is a late out Current rule is:
If you have a defender as utility then the utilty becomes the defender and then your first named emergency becomes utility. If there is no utility as a defender then the defender named as emergency takes the place.
If the proposal to name 3 emergencies and sub as above is approved maybe we change the rule the emergency from the corresponding position comes in. Would not effect sub as player to be replaced will score 0.

Just something to stimulate the British going forward,

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Ringo on August 06, 2013, 04:05:10 PM

We name 4 emergencies each week and with one being designated as a sub. If the sub scores higher than the lowest player on the field subs score will count instead. This will help with injuries occurring early as well.

When teams are not named rule is that weeks team is used - At the moment no penalty is involved and we had the case this year where a team was not named and using the previous weeks team won the match, Proposal is to invoke a 5% penalty for teams not being named and use last weeks team. Penalty in most cases should be between 60 - 80 points.

Just something to stimulate the British going forward,

i really like these 2 but i think we should just name 4 emergencies one for each position if one player gets injured in the 1st quater or 3rd and subbed off due to injury we can choose if we take the emergencies player score or the injured players score really unfair when a player gets injured in first 5 minutes and subbed off ::)

regarding utilities well they are utilities so if they are a late out how about we just get the highest scoring emergency players score? keep it simple

ossie85

*post so I don't forget to post later*

Capper

One rule i would make is that each team has an assistant so there is less likely going to be teams that dont submit teams each week.

The only issue i see with this is that the second best player in the team will be named as the sub every week and will replaced the lowest scoring player

Agree, most teams have assistants so it should be fine for all to names teams each week

Is the rule for emergency replacements the right rule:
Say a defender is a late out Current rule is:
If you have a defender as utility then the utilty becomes the defender and then your first named emergency becomes utility. If there is no utility as a defender then the defender named as emergency takes the place.
If the proposal to name 3 emergencies and sub as above is approved maybe we change the rule the emergency from the corresponding position comes in. Would not effect sub as player to be replaced will score 0.
I dont properly understand this one.

If you dont have a defender in your utilities or emergencies does the highest scoring emergency still come in and you get half? IF you have a defender that is a defender in utilities and not on the bench, does your utilities player move to the backs and who comes in to you utilities??

i will try and think of some others

Spinking

Quick comment - 1 major success was Ringo's leadership. Took over during a period of instability, did a lot of hard yakka and made the BXV a great comp. thanks mate!

ossie85

Hats off to Ringo --> I've found this competition very even (a close battle for minor premiership, close battle for finals, close battle for spoon). Well done :)

I say get rid of the DVC thing for next year, I don't think it's necessary.

Sub rule is interesting! Thinking of something similar in Worlds, but haven't nutted it out yet. Maybe you can only activate the sub if either the sub or the player he is replacing hasn't played? Adds that element of chance, otherwise basically a guarantee increse in score.

Not sure I understand the emergency rule proposed...

I'm happy enough with the team from last week carrying over.

Oz

Spite

Best part of each week was reading the match reviews that Ringo made up, they are so so good!!

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Spinking on August 07, 2013, 03:26:49 AM
Quick comment - 1 major success was Ringo's leadership. Took over during a period of instability, did a lot of hard yakka and made the BXV a great comp. thanks mate!

Quote from: Spite on August 12, 2013, 10:31:21 PM
Best part of each week was reading the match reviews that Ringo made up, they are so so good!!

Cant agree more with both of these guys. Awesome job Ringo, this comp looked like it might struggle at one stage but definitely didnt thanks to your awesome work. Thanks for the great year Ringo :)

Ringo

Thank You guys for your support - Appreciate it just wanted to give the comp some momentum after the early struggles.

Probably did not explain the emergency properly - So will try and simplify as my intention was to always simplify it by discarding the utility component.
We name 4 emergencies - with one being the sub.
If a player is a late out and if an emergency including the sub is named in that position they automatically replace that person. If 2 emergency players can fill the required position the first named emergency will take the place. If no emergency can fill the same position then the first named available emergency shall be used with half points applying. Hope that explains a little better.

Keep the discussion coming especially if you have ideas to improve the comp it is your competition as well. There maybe things I may not have thought of.

kilbluff1985

Don't think HGA should be included in Finals

Another suggestion :P

Ringo

Feel free to debate this suggestion by KB. In AFL Home ground advantage applies til GF so should we follow suit or just abandon HGA for finals series. My view is if we are making it Fantasy relevant to reflect AFL then teams finishing higher up the ladder should enjoy HGA similar to AFL.
Happy to change if majority agree though as I said it is everyones competition not Ringos.

kilbluff1985

But having our HGA can affect the outcome much more then in the AFL

Maybe have it in the 1st week of finals or something

ossie85

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 19, 2013, 10:23:26 AM

Really disagree sorry kb! Without HGA being included, there is no difference between finishing 1st and 4th, 2nd or 3rd, 5th or 8th, 6th or 7th.

For finals I think it is a welcome reward for those that did well during the season

(But yes, no HGA for Grand Final)

ossie85

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 19, 2013, 11:08:22 AM
But having our HGA can affect the outcome much more then in the AFL

Maybe have it in the 1st week of finals or something

Disagree with that also --> Fremantle playing Sydney in Freo, or Sydney playing Fremantle in Sydney could have a massive impact. Just hard to measure.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: ossie85 on August 19, 2013, 11:11:45 AM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 19, 2013, 10:23:26 AM

Really disagree sorry kb! Without HGA being included, there is no difference between finishing 1st and 4th, 2nd or 3rd, 5th or 8th, 6th or 7th.

For finals I think it is a welcome reward for those that did well during the season

(But yes, no HGA for Grand Final)

there is still a difference if you finish in the top 4 you get a second chance if you lose the first finals game

good enough reward IMO