Main Menu

J Brown's legacy

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Unfortunately, it looks like the career of Lions legend Jonathan Brown could be over.

But where does he stand in the history of the game? I think Jonathan Brown is an incredible player, but has a persistent run of injuries put him a bit back behind the pack?

The last decade have had three great centre half forwards IMO - Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt and Matthew Pavlich.

If you look at there accolades:

Jonathan Brown
(as at Round 16, 13)
Games: 243
Goals: 571
Brisbane Lions Premiership Player 2001, 2002, 2003
Coleman Medal 2007
All-Australian Team 2007, 2009
Merrett-Murray Medal 2007, 2008, 2009
Brisbane Lions captain 2007
Robert Rose Award For Most Courageous Player 2007, 2008, 2011

Matthew Pavlich
(current)
Games: 285
Goals: 565
All-Australian team 2002, 2003, 2005-2008
Best and fairest 2002, 2005-2008, 2011
Leading goalkicker 2005-2010, 2012
Geoff Christian Medal 2002, 2005, 2008
AFL Rising Star nominee 2000
Fremantle captain 2007present
4 Games for Australian in International Rules

Nick Riewoldt
(as at Round 11, 2013)
Games: 249
Goals: 550
Trevor Barker Award 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009
All-Australian Team 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Leigh Matthews Trophy 2004
AFL Rising Star winner
Ron Evans Medal 2002
St Kilda leading goalkicker 2008, 2009
St Kilda captain 2005, 2007
2 Games for Australia's International Rules

Do the 3 Premierships give J Brown the edge? I don't think so - if it was Nick Riewoldt or Matthew Pavlich playing for Brisbane instead, I still think they would have won 3 flags.

Riewoldt (4, maybe 5 this year) and Pavlich (6) have made many, many more All-Australians. Neither have a Coleman, but both have gone very close.

There isn't much difference in games or goals really...

Ricochet

Imagine if Pav was at a top side through the middle of his career  :o

Holz

all 3 are legends, but Pav stands out for me. Carried his team every single year and deserves a premiership, im sure the lions would have won 3-4 with him.

Ringo

Nice write up Oss and I think to me it would be a toss up between Brown and Pav with not a lot between. Brown has carried the Lions forward line for the last few years following the Fevola debacle (enough said) which resulted in his favoured support act Bradshaw leaving the club.
With no support Brown was often double and triple tagged resulting in lower stats over the last few years.

Pavlich similarly carried Freos forward line for a number of years and undoubtedly deserves a premiership and given that he was all Australia 7 years out of 8 would put him in front of Brown slightly.

Have no love of of Riewoldt with his penchant of diving to gain free kicks. Pav and Brown despite being continually scragged and not getting free kicks just get on with the game.

So you heard it from this Lion Pav just in front of Brown but do not give up on Brown just yet as he may play a role similar to Black this year being managed for a final year next year.

BB67th

Not a big fan of Riewoldt. Plays for the free kicks too much and his kicking action has never been reliable enough for me in the big moments.

Between Pav and Brown, Pav is definitely the better player as he has shown he can play anywhere on the field. How often does someone get named at FB, CHF and on the ball in an All-Australian team? He also carried a very bad side for most of his career. I hope he can get a premiership before he retires.

Brown, while not as skilled as Pavlich, is definitely the most courageous of the 3, and no one can doubt his commitment to the Lions and the game every single week. He is the man you want as captain of your football club. While his prime was better than any other forward of the last 10 years, it didn't last for long, only really having super years from 2004-09. If he stayed injury free in 06 he would have won the Brownlow, the height of his dominance before he got injured.

I know being a Brisbane supporter I am biased, but I would take Brown over Pav and then Riewoldt. I think that he is the best man you can have at a football club, and the way he attacks the ball is second to none.

valkorum

Riewoldt shouldn't be included in this poll - he is light years behind Pav and Brown

I personally rate both Brown and Pav extremely high.  I would give the nod to Pav because he spent 2 seasons in the backline (including an AA at CHB) and 2 seasons in the midfield, yet has still managed to kick as many goals as the other 2.

BTW - the Freo Best and Fairest is called the "Doig Medal"  (dis-respectful that you didnt have that one but you have the name of the medals for the Lions and Saints  :-X)

ossie85

Quote from: valkorum on August 06, 2013, 07:24:31 PM
BTW - the Freo Best and Fairest is called the "Doig Medal"  (dis-respectful that you didnt have that one but you have the name of the medals for the Lions and Saints  :-X)

Blame wikipedia :P

valkorum

You could have looked at Pav's player page on the Freo website ;)

AFL Awards

All-Australian
2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Coleman Medal
Runner-up 2012

International Rules Series
2002, 2003

Hall of Fame tribute Match Representative

AFL Life Member

Club Awards

Doig Medal
2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008; 2011

Doig Medal runner-up
2009, 2003

Leading Goalkicker
2001 (equal), 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008; 2009, 2010, 2012

Club Captain
2007-present

Fremantle Dockers Life Member

nrich102

Jono Brown and Pavlich I rate equally. Pav was robbed of the coleman last year, while Brown is past his best years, he still is the best key forward at the club. As Ringo said, Brown has many defenders drawn to him, but can still kick goals.

Riewoldt is a sook. He should never be compared with either of these 2 men.

[size=8=1pt]Ossie, I dont think that Browns career is over[/size]

Ricochet

They spoke about Brown on 360 last night basically saying that if Voss and the club want/allow Brown to play on then he is the type of guy who will keep going to give more back to the footy club.

its me lads

The Pav would have been a whole different player if he didnt have to carry freo for his whole career. Always played wherever they needed him. Midfield, Forward he dominated.

Bill Manspeaker

Riewoldt shouldn't be included in this poll - he is light years behind Pav and Brown

one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read, but i don't need to prove why Rooey is as good as Brown and Pavlich with 'numbers', it's just basic knowledge.

valkorum

Quote from: brad on August 07, 2013, 11:56:29 AM

one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read, but i don't need to prove why Rooey is as good as Brown and Pavlich with 'numbers', it's just basic knowledge.

I wrote a post about 12 - 18 months ago and categorically proved that NRoo is nothing compared to Pav and JBrown.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: nrich102 on August 07, 2013, 07:05:19 AM
Jono Brown and Pavlich I rate equally. Pav was robbed of the coleman last year, while Brown is past his best years, he still is the best key forward at the club. As Ringo said, Brown has many defenders drawn to him, but can still kick goals.

Riewoldt is a sook. He should never be compared with either of these 2 men.

[size=8=1pt]Ossie, I dont think that Browns career is over[/size]

how can someone be robbed of the Coleman? either they kick enough goals or they don't

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: valkorum on August 07, 2013, 03:32:59 PM
Quote from: brad on August 07, 2013, 11:56:29 AM

I wrote a post about 12 - 18 months ago and categorically proved that NRoo is nothing compared to Pav and JBrown.

lol. good stuff. ya see i don't argue about things in which i know i'm right. so that's it from me on this subject cos you're obviously letting your hatred of Riewoldt stand in the way of seeing he's a champion