Main Menu

Mitchell Brownlow

Started by Cicjose, July 15, 2013, 01:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-15/no-handmedown

HAWTHORN star Sam Mitchell says he would not feel good about being retrospectively handed the 2012 Brownlow Medal if winner Jobe Watson was stripped of the award.

There has been speculation Watson could lose the medal after he admitted during an interview with Fox Footy's On the Couch program to taking a substance he believed to be the anti-obesity drug AOD-9604.

Mitchell finished tied for second with Richmond's Trent Cotchin in last year's Brownlow count.

He said the prospect of being given the award had been a subject of banter among Hawks players, but that it did not appeal to him.

"This is one of the ones that gets heckled about," Mitchell said on Monday.

"It's certainly not the way you would want to win a Brownlow Medal, is it?

ossie85

Wouldn't be the first to get retrospectively handed a Brownlow. He doesn't get the night, it's true, but he might value it more after he retires...

Not all that much difference to say Robert Harvey winning his Brownlow gos Chris Grant got suspended

Ziplock

who else got retrospectively given a brownlow?

I thought mitchell was ineligible from suspension last year (again) :/

ossie85

Quote from: Ziplock on July 15, 2013, 03:11:16 PM
who else got retrospectively given a brownlow?

I thought mitchell was ineligible from suspension last year (again) :/

Well, it's been a while but:

1959: Verdun Howell (St. Kilda)
1952: Bill Hutchison (Essendon)
1949: Col Austen (Hawthorn)
1940: Des Fothergill (Collingwood)/Herbie Matthews (South Melbourne)
1930: Harry Collier (Collingwood)/Allan Hopkins (Footscray)

All of which were awarded a Brownlow in 1981 when they decided to scrap a 'countback' rule for tied results. In 1940 Des Fothergill and Herbie Matthews were tied AND couldn't be separated on countback ---> so what did they do? They didn't give anyone a Brownlow! But in 1981 they were both given one.

No Mitchell was eligible.

henry

Yeah it would be a hollow feeling if he won for sure, don't want to see Jobe's stripped off him either.

I had money on mitch to win it and would have won between $150-170 if he won if memory serves correctly, I presume that it wouldn't be paid out though as they would have to recall the winning watson bets which would be impossible to do you'd think.

Remember cotchin would also win it, he tied with mitchell.

Vinny

I don't think any player would like a brownlow after a player has been stripped. Would be a weird feeling. :P

Mr.Craig

Nevermind about 2012, what about 2013?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-19/pro-punter-backs-mitch

THE MAN who ripped more than $1 million from the bags of bookmakers following Chris Judd's 2010 Brownlow Medal has tipped Hawthorn long-shot Sam Mitchell to win this year's medal.

Sean Brady, the man who predicted the Jobe Watson-Trent Cotchin quinella last year collecting $250,000, has predicted Mitchell to beat unbackable favourite Gary Ablett.

It flies in the face of Ablett's favouritism at short odds, some bookmakers already paying out on unassailable victory mid-season.

Mitchell's odds read as much as $15 with some betting agencies.

Brady, who predicted Judd's 2010 win in advance, says Mitchell's polling history has him at the top of the 2013 tree.

JBs-Hawks

Whats the bet that bookmakers paid him to say it so that punters put money on someone else other than GAJ so there net loss isnt as bad :P

tor01doc

Crap. If Mitchell wins this year's Brownlow, I will give $200 to La Hug's charity of choice.

Rusty00

Mitchell was $10 on Sportsbet last night. Down to $7.50 now.

JBs-Hawks

Jroo

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 20, 2013, 07:15:29 AM
Mitchell was $10 on Sportsbet last night. Down to $7.50 now.
flower  :o
I'm pretty sure he was $26 on Sportsbet before this was announced.

henry

I had money on him last year, foolishly to win only rather than place. He has a proven polling history, and has had another very good year.

I hope he wins, he is a superstar and after coming 2nd last 2 years deserves a win.

Rusty00

Quote from: henry on September 21, 2013, 12:18:43 PM
I had money on him last year, foolishly to win only rather than place. He has a proven polling history, and has had another very good year.

I hope he wins, he is a superstar and after coming 2nd last 2 years deserves a win.
Yeah I had him last year as well but I had him each way so I picked up a little bit of money.