Main Menu

The Top 8, is it settled?

Started by PowerBug, July 02, 2013, 06:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: Mat0369 on July 06, 2013, 04:48:54 PM
North just put themselves back into contention

I'm not being bitter as a Tigers supporter, but their last 5 games are against Geelong, Adelaide (in Adelaide), Essendon, Hawthorn and Collingwood. Their next three are Brisbane (at the Gabba), Carlton and Melbourne. They're only on 6 wins and even if they win the next three that takes them to 9 which, if they fail to win their last 5 surely won't be enough?

I reckon it's settled, the top 8 as they are now should all be there come September.

PowerBug

It would be some comeback for North to make the 8. 9th is probably their position for 2013, which in recent times (Last 5 yr's) is where they belong. :P
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Mat0369

Carlton and Adelaide are two game swings. They also lost to Adelaide, Hawthorn and Geelong by under a kick. If they can win their next 3 and then beat Adelaide and the Pies who have been terribly inconsistent they are in with a chance. Port have some tough games mixed in with some easier ones, but I think the battle for 8th is between North, Port and the winner of Adelaide and West Coast

Losing last night and potentially losing Waite with a knee injury has thrown my mob out of contention. We do have some of those 2 game swings playing North, Port and Richmond, but they also have some tough games in the Bombers again, Freo, GC at Metricon (look what they did to North this year and Carlton last year ::) ) and the danger game against the Saints who beat the Blues earlier in the year

BB67th

You will need 12 or 13 wins to make it into the 8, so Tigers and Pies will make it, and last spot will be between Port and Eagles.

roo boys!

Quote from: PowerBug on July 06, 2013, 05:58:54 PM
It would be some comeback for North to make the 8. 9th is probably their position for 2013, which in recent times (Last 5 yr's) is where they belong. :P
Which will be 8th when Essendon get stripped of their points :P

The way I see it
vs Brisbane @ Gabba WIN
vs Carlton @ Etihad Potentially 50/50 but on form WIN
vs Melbourne @ Etihad WIN
vs Geelong @ Etihad I reckon we could win this, but I'll have to say LOSS
vs Crows @ AAMI Probably a 50/50 but we MUST WIN
vs Essendon @ Etihad 50/50
vs Hawks @ Etihad Going on our game early in the year a real shot, but LOSS
vs Pies @ MCG Crucial game, probably pencil in a LOSS just to please all you :P

Which would leave us with 10 wins, Essendon game could go either way so will probably need an upset against Pies/Hawks/Cats

So still an outside chance, not ruling it out at this stage. Would be some comeback

BB67th

10 wins will not make it. North will finish 9th or 10th.

roo boys!

Quote from: BB67th on July 07, 2013, 12:34:13 PM
10 wins will not make it. North will finish 9th or 10th.
Yeah I know it won't, but win the Essendon game and one of the other big 3 and all of a sudden you could be looking at a potential sneak into 8th place.

Like I said though, I really wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't make the 8, a couple of weeks ago it was looking like we'd do a good job to finish 10th or 11th.

Can't drop any of the games I've put down as wins though as then it will be curtains.

North have really dug themselves into this hole and will require something special to get out.

AFEV

Quote from: TeeJay on July 02, 2013, 06:35:19 PM
Richmond are a certainty. They are already 3 games clear in the 8 . They are more in the battle for top 4.
Of the other teams I think Collingwood and Carlton
I really can't see Richmond getting close to the top 5. They STILL haven't beaten a team above them on the ladder and have only beaten Port from the teams in the 8 at the moment, and they could easily lose their next 4 games with Gold Coast, Fremantle, Sydney and Hawthorn in the next month. They would probably need to win 2 of those as well as the R23 Essendon game (possible, but unlikely) to come back and get into the top 4.

Given they just got smashed by a pretty ordinary team (that did, to their credit, play very well) I don't think they're showing the sort of form that will see them get into the top 4.

Hawthorn, Geelong, Fremantle, Sydney, Essendon and maybe Collingwood to finish ahead of them.

North can still make it, they went on that crazy run last year, I can easily see them springing home and getting 6-7 from the last 9 to finish with 12 or 13 wins.

Oh, and as we all know, 9th could be 8th this year! ::) :(

BB67th

All of that being said of course, there is still the very real possibility that Essendon will be docked of their premiership points and 9th will become 8th. In that situation (which I now believe is quite likely to occur), Port will make it, and the battle for 8th will be close between North and West Coast.

PowerBug

Well, looking at the games this week, Port lose, North win, they are only a game outside the 8! and they have the % too! They have a tough draw North, but if come home like last year, maybe they'll do it.

PowerBug

What does everyone think now? :o Brisbane added to the poll. :)

KoopKicka

According to my Bailey ladder the top 8 shouldnt be any different than it is now.

AFEV

I think the only movement now will be within the 8.

Port, Collingwood and Richmond should all make it.

specky92

I think there is still a battle for 8th place between Port and Carlton. Hopefully the round 23 clash is the decider

Toga

Yeah Port vs Carlton for 8th place for me!

Just happy the Tiges are now three games clear! Would love for us to finish 5th (or higher :P) so we play Port/Carlton in week one of finals, as I'm more confident we can beat them than Collingwood at this stage...