Captain option from Left field

Started by oc16, June 19, 2013, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc16

Are u looking for a captain option this week that will give u an edge over the rest of the competition? Well, let me introduce u to Nick Riewoldt. Now i know what u are thinking... Calvin from DT said that big fwds dont score well against Melbourne (J. Riewoldt, Buddy etc), and while this is true for the most part, there are 4 key reasons why i think Nick will buck the trend this week.

1. The difference between Riewoldt's scores when playing with and without Beau Maister are HUGE

With Maister
82, 88, 89, 93, 99, 99, 108
Median - 93
Average - 94

Without Maister
88,  117, 123, 153
Median - 120
Average - 120.25

Guess who is out for 6-8 weeks with a hamstring injury? Yep, u guessed it! Beau Maister

2. One of the main reasons why big fwds dont score big are because of one man... James Frawley. However, last time Melbourne played James Frawley was out and Colin Garland had to play on Travis Cloke. Cloke ended up getting 110. But there is still a chance of Frawley returning this weekend so be sure to check the teams on thursday night.

3. Nick Riewoldt will play game 250th this weekend

4. The saints have just had their bye so Nick should be well rested.

So there u have it! I am personally going to go with Nick as my captain if Frawley does not lineup against him on the weekend. However, if he does lineup then I will toss Nick up with Barlow, Jack, and S. Johnson for my captain.

Cheers

its me lads

Interesting observations good stuff.

I won't be captaining him, mainly because I don't have him... Yet..  :P

Will probably go big.
What happens when Maister is out? Do they bring in a straight swap for him or to they re-shuffle the lineup and bring in someone like a defender for example?

oc16

i am not sure exactly who comes in for maister when he is not playing, but from memory they do seem to reshuffle the team by giving Riewoldt most of the forward 50 and bringing in a medium defender/midfielder

HBTD22

Tom Lee to come in perhaps? Doubt it would affect Nick's scoring at all.

henry

Some interesting points there.

I was actually very impressed with Garland's game on Cloke a couple of weeks' back in Frawley's absence, he was right on top until the last quarter. I'm not sure if he has the tank to go with roo though. A considerable contributing the factor and probably the main reason scored so well was because the pies midfield is start studded and got right on top. I consider this as a real danger game for st kilda, and it's likely their midfield won't be on top as much.

I still expect riewoldt to score well, but not captaincy material for me.

fertalong

Quote from: henry on June 19, 2013, 05:03:11 PM
Some interesting points there.

I was actually very impressed with Garland's game on Cloke a couple of weeks' back in Frawley's absence, he was right on top until the last quarter. I'm not sure if he has the tank to go with roo though. A considerable contributing the factor and probably the main reason scored so well was because the pies midfield is start studded and got right on top. I consider this as a real danger game for st kilda, and it's likely their midfield won't be on top as much.

I still expect riewoldt to score well, but not captaincy material for me.

I agree. He will be a solid 100-110, but there are better options who have more potential to get the big scores. I'm tossing up between K.Jack and Boyd personally.