Birchall or Hanley?

Started by Adamant, June 18, 2013, 09:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will average more for the rest of the season?

Grant Birchall ($354,100) - 87.3 average - Next 5: WC, Bris, Geel, Port, Dogs
9 (33.3%)
Pearce Hanley ($394,100) - 89.1 average - Next 5: Geel, Haw, GCS, North, Melb
18 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Adamant

Birchall or Hanley?

Never really been a fan of Hanley in DT, always found him far too inconsistent which I hate...

Birch on the otherhand has always been a favourite of mine after starting him in 2011 & 2012. Up until this year he has been one of the few defenders that you can bank on 80+ nearly every week. Like most defenders though, he has been pretty up and down this year.

Current backline:

Goddard, Heppell, Duffield, (*******), Scotland, Goodes (Terlich, Thurlow)

*Vlastuin in mids

Cheers.

its me lads

Personally I would wait for another 1 or 2 good scores from Birch.

Hanley all the way.

Toga

Yeah jump on Pearcenald Hanley. 8)

Nails

Quote from: Nails on June 18, 2013, 09:41:18 PM
You'd be an idiot to trade in Birchall now

I'd think of it similar to trading in Stanton after rd 11 last year.

nrich102

I'd go Hanley, even with the voss factor.

powersuperkents

Both are inconsistent as f*ck!! Birchall has the better history (not by much and is gaining too much attention this season)!! Both misrepresented themselves. Either way both will score similar and I think that you would be better off waiting. They are both still significantly dropping in price and out of the two I honestly don't know. Any other year I'd pick Birchall in a second. This season they are pretty much on par. I just can't believe some people selected Hanley over Gibbs over the last few weeks :o

My prediction:
Birchall's average will be between 85-88
Hanley's average will be between 82-88

But that's just my opinion but going off history Birchall is the better and more consistent player (however this year he has failed to live up to his previous standards)

My Advice:
Wait 1-4 weeks before deciding. Based off the scores so far, Hanley is the safer choice though :)

popedelio

I would go Birch. Both I believe will average the same, and he is 40k cheaper with a lower be. Coming up against WCE who he slashes up. Both have had similar scoring seasons, Birch has the better dt history. Birch is the guy i would choose.

strikes91

You answered your own question

Adamant

Quote from: powersuperkents on June 18, 2013, 09:57:13 PM
My Advice:
Wait 1-4 weeks before deciding. Based off the scores so far, Hanley is the safer choice though :)

Quote from: its me lads on June 18, 2013, 09:40:18 PM
Personally I would wait for another 1 or 2 good scores from Birch.

Hanley all the way.

Can't really afford to wait as there isn't much I can do with my team this week. If Hrovat is named, I will forget about Birch/Hanley and downgrade to him. If he isn't named, getting in one of these guys seems like my best bet.

Quote from: popedelio on June 18, 2013, 10:02:49 PM
I would go Birch. Both I believe will average the same, and he is 40k cheaper with a lower be. Coming up against WCE who he slashes up. Both have had similar scoring seasons, Birch has the better dt history. Birch is the guy i would choose.

Yeah, that's exactly my thinking. The extra 40k from going Birch comes in really handy and he is a proven gun.

Theres a lot of love for Hanley though!

henry

If you could, I'd wait a week and get gibbs, who along with goddard has been the most consistent defender. If you can't wait, then I'd go birch as he is more consistent and more proven. Up until a couple of weeks ago I'd have said Hanley, but his role changes and subsequent lower scores have put me off him, birch for me.

disco1992

Who are you trading out? And how much cash? I'd rather wait on Gibbs as said above he is the best and  possibly upgrade to a mid this week and then Gibbs next week + hanley BE is around 150 so he would be a wait a week or two. But birchall BE is around 90 so possibility he could reach it if your keen!

I'd go 1. Wait for Gibbs
2. Birch
3.hanley

powersuperkents

Quote from: disco1992 on June 18, 2013, 11:01:29 PM
Who are you trading out? And how much cash? I'd rather wait on Gibbs as said above he is the best and  possibly upgrade to a mid this week and then Gibbs next week + hanley BE is around 150 so he would be a wait a week or two. But birchall BE is around 90 so possibility he could reach it if your keen!

I'd go 1. Wait for Gibbs
2. Birch
3.hanley

+1

I voted for Birchall but I think based off current form Hanley is the safer option, but I'd personally go Birchall (I hate proven inconsistency and I'm surprised I even picked up Hanley with his past two seasons). But if you can wait a week for Gibbs that should be paramount. If not Birchall, I don't want to openly state one is better than the other but I subjectively like Birchall better because like you I have a history with him (he was a fantastic defender last year) but based on current form I don't want to see you make a bad decision based on my advice, there is a lot of risk entailed with picking one (the other could smash it out whilst the one you picked continues to fall). But if I had to choose take the risk on Birchall, based solely on personal preference (I still think Hanley might be safer but who knows he may just continue his current form and we all know he is prone to 30's every now and then) he is better and I had him pinned for the higher average stating below I have him at 85-88 whilst Hanley is at 82-88. Go Birchall I really only said Hanley was safer because he had better form more recently and the four posts before could make me look like a pariah  :P

Go Birchall I like him better than some random Irish guy and I'm sure you do too :) hahaha but if you can waiting for Gibbs is worth it 

Adamant

Quote from: disco1992 on June 18, 2013, 11:01:29 PM

I'd go 1. Wait for Gibbs
2. Birch
3.hanley

Might as well just post my team haha. :P

This is how I'm looking this week after my trades - Evans --> T. Mitchell and Kommer --> Birchall (via Vlastuin DPP).

So as I said, can't really do much. In regards to getting in Gibbs, next week I'll most likely go Rowe --> Daniher and then sideways Scotland --> Gibbs.

Really hope Hrovat is named though so I can downgrade to him this week instead of getting Birch/Hanley and then upgrade Terlich to Gibbs next week. Backline would then be complete.

disco1992

I actually like the look of having birchall there allows for next week to go neade/Rowe to daniher and terlich to Gibbs ( Scotland is scoring more than terlich so might as well keep him)

Nails

Really not a fan of trading in Birchall

6 round average of ~66

It's like Stanton after 5 shower rounds. Birchall didn't get tagged so much last year and year before. Now he gets tagged every game.

He was a PROVEN PREMIUM when not tagged. You have to wait and see if this is going to keep going. He might continue to be shower.

Like Stanton > got the tag > went to shower

Just because he had a few good non-tagged games doesn't mean he'll return to magic this week or the next. He has a high score of 81 over the last 6 rounds. Someone who's looking like 80 might be a great score for them based on current situation is NOT someone you want in your team.