Main Menu

Tom Boyd Appreciation Thread

Started by Noz, June 17, 2013, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

If Giants don't take him then Melbourne surely will. Could develop an awesome forward line with Boyd and Hogan :o

Noz

Quote from: CrowsFan on June 18, 2013, 10:08:45 AM
If Giants don't take him then Melbourne surely will. Could develop an awesome forward line with Boyd and Hogan :o
Boyd, Hogan, Dawes and Clarke? Yeah no

CrowsFan

Quote from: Noz on June 18, 2013, 04:45:13 PM
Dawes is rubbish and Clark is not much better. Why wouldn't they want to start again with the two best key forwards in the age group? Similar to Hawks with Franklin and Roughy

Noz

Quote from: CrowsFan on June 18, 2013, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: Noz on June 18, 2013, 04:45:13 PM
Dawes is rubbish and Clark is not much better. Why wouldn't they want to start again with the two best key forwards in the age group? Similar to Hawks with Franklin and Roughy

Maybe because they are paying Dawes close to 2 mill for 4 years and Mitch Clark 3 mill for 4 years, So in a way it would be better for them to continue playing Dawes and Clark rather than Hogan and Boyd otherwise one of Dawes and Clark will leave which will force Melbourne to pay out their contract thus pushing them further in depth.

ADEZ

Hopefully Port can work some magic and snare him, from what I've seen, a team could be built around him

Toga

Yeah Port, Gold Coast, Bulldogs are all teams that could probably benefit from him more than he would GWS/Melbourne surely?

Noz

I can already see him in the our colours. Imagine Wingard running down the wing and drilling it to Boyd all day long. Thats the world i want to live in.

specky92

Quote from: Toga on June 18, 2013, 09:42:19 PM
Yeah Port, Gold Coast, Bulldogs are all teams that could probably benefit from him more than he would GWS/Melbourne surely?
Boyd & Stringer would be ridiculously scary in 2017, :P

Toga

Quote from: Noz on June 18, 2013, 11:42:51 PM
I can already see him in the our colours. Imagine Wingard running down the wing and drilling it to Boyd all day long. Thats the world i want to live in.

That would be a beautiful sight :-*

BUT surely you guys won't finish low enough at this point to snare him? ???

AFEV

Got to laugh at all the SA goons pumping up Aish. ::) (Please don't take offence, just seems that you guys go WAY over the top about this kid)

Honestly, I would prefer Martin, Dunstan or McDonald to Aish. Aish's inside game is severely lacking, yes he is small but if he can't develop that he'll just end up as another one dimensional outside player that will get found out at the top level.
Yes, he's a very good prospect and could go #1, but I personally see the others making a bigger impact at AFL level with their inside/outside hybrid which is thriving in the modern game.

As for the people saying they wouldn't want and/or need Boyd...Well...Everyone is getting so caught up in Cameron and Patton but look a bit closer at their overall stocks -

Jeremy Cameron - Looks like a jet, has the ability to play CHB and coaching staff have mentioned wanting to play him there (now unlikely).

Jonathan Patton - Obviously has talent, major question marks over whether he can stay fit and whether the injuries he has already had will prevent him from reaching his potential. Can also play CHB.

Setanta O'hAilpin - Seriously bad player. 30 yrs old, won't have long left.

Bret Thornton - Old, bad. More of a defender that can switch if necessary anyway.

Josh Bruce - Looks to be developing as a defender.

So, they have 5 guys that CAN play the KPF spot if they need to. 2 of which are terrible and old. One other which hasn't been playing forward, and of course Patton who is struggling to stay fit.

Which leaves them 1 quality option at the moment.

Why wouldn't they want one of the most dominant junior KPFs to surface in ages?

Besides, their recruiting staff have already said they will take the best talent with their first pick, in all likelihood that is Boyd.

EDIT: It's not like they need more midfielders, I mean - Coniglio, Greene, Whitfield, Shiel, Palmer, Ward, Scully, Adams, Treloar, Buntine, Hayes, O'Rourke, Miles, Sumner, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliot, Kennedy, Schulz & the list goes on...What, that's not enough? Sheesh.

Noz

Billings is a better player than Aish anyways.

Ziplock

Quote from: Sid on June 19, 2013, 09:26:15 AM
Got to laugh at all the SA goons pumping up Aish. ::) (Please don't take offence, just seems that you guys go WAY over the top about this kid)

Honestly, I would prefer Martin, Dunstan or McDonald to Aish. Aish's inside game is severely lacking, yes he is small but if he can't develop that he'll just end up as another one dimensional outside player that will get found out at the top level.
Yes, he's a very good prospect and could go #1, but I personally see the others making a bigger impact at AFL level with their inside/outside hybrid which is thriving in the modern game.

As for the people saying they wouldn't want and/or need Boyd...Well...Everyone is getting so caught up in Cameron and Patton but look a bit closer at their overall stocks -

Jeremy Cameron - Looks like a jet, has the ability to play CHB and coaching staff have mentioned wanting to play him there (now unlikely).

Jonathan Patton - Obviously has talent, major question marks over whether he can stay fit and whether the injuries he has already had will prevent him from reaching his potential. Can also play CHB.

Setanta O'hAilpin - Seriously bad player. 30 yrs old, won't have long left.

Bret Thornton - Old, bad. More of a defender that can switch if necessary anyway.

Josh Bruce - Looks to be developing as a defender.

So, they have 5 guys that CAN play the KPF spot if they need to. 2 of which are terrible and old. One other which hasn't been playing forward, and of course Patton who is struggling to stay fit.

Which leaves them 1 quality option at the moment.

Why wouldn't they want one of the most dominant junior KPFs to surface in ages?

Besides, their recruiting staff have already said they will take the best talent with their first pick, in all likelihood that is Boyd.

EDIT: It's not like they need more midfielders, I mean - Coniglio, Greene, Whitfield, Shiel, Palmer, Ward, Scully, Adams, Treloar, Buntine, Hayes, O'Rourke, Miles, Sumner, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliot, Kennedy, Schulz & the list goes on...What, that's not enough? Sheesh.

that's a fair point. I think it's also along the lines of 'how can GWS keep 3 superstar key forwards'

you don't need 3 amazing tall forwards when it comes down to it- most teams are in the scenario that if their no.1 tall goes down, they'll have to play crappy replacements, and their second star (if they're lucky enough to have one) is going to constantly get doubleteamed.

AFEV

Quote from: Ziplock on June 19, 2013, 06:54:00 PM
that's a fair point. I think it's also along the lines of 'how can GWS keep 3 superstar key forwards'

you don't need 3 amazing tall forwards when it comes down to it- most teams are in the scenario that if their no.1 tall goes down, they'll have to play crappy replacements, and their second star (if they're lucky enough to have one) is going to constantly get doubleteamed.
True, but when you look at some the dominant teams of the last decade, a lot of them had multiple targets -

Essendon 1999-2001: Lucas & Lloyd

Brisbane 2001-2003: Bradshaw, Lynch, Brown

Port Adelaide 2003-2004: Lade, Tredrea

Sydney 2005-2006: O'Loughlin, Hall

Geelong 2007-2013: Mooney, N Ablett, Hawkins, Ottens/King

Hawthorn 2008, 2011-2013: Franklin, Roughead

St Kilda 2009-2010: Riewoldt, Gardiner/King, Koschitzke

Collingwood 2010-2012: Dawes, Cloke

That almost covers every premier since the turn of the century. There are obviously some exceptions, St Kilda really only had the one spearhead type forwawrd, same deal with Geelong in '07 until the Hawklet evolution. Well, really Geelong just hada bunch of contributors.

Also worth noting that a lot of these key forwards had their best years when their teams won the premiership. You could argue that is because they were getting more of the ball...But that's a whole other debate.

Now I know that you have 2 with Patton and Cameron, and that your most pressing need by far (or so I've heard) is a gorilla KPD. Well, I doubt you'll take Gardiner with #1, he'll be lucky to get picked up with your compo pick - and he's the best KPD in the draft by a mile.

That just leaves you with tall forwards and small utilities.

Lets not forget that Patton is yet to be tried out down back as well.

Oh, and who's to say they can't all play together? Lynch/Bradshaw/Brown worked pretty well together, so did Dawes/Cloke/Brown.

It's definitely not as big a surplus as people pipe it up to be, and definitely not reason enough to pass up the best talent in the draft...Especially when you consider the alternative play in the same position you have a legitimate excess - how many GWS midfielders have been plopped onto a flank/pocket this year?

AFEV

Quote from: Noz on June 19, 2013, 06:50:29 PM
Billings is a better player than Aish anyways.
Whether Billings will even be able to play in the midfield is kind of debatable, fair stretch to say he is better than James Aish. IMO at least.

Justin Bieber

Hopefully he doesn't go to a spud club like GWS or Melb or one of them.

Good young forwards needs to play in reasonable to good sides or they will not be as good as they should.