Main Menu

The Review system

Started by ossie85, June 12, 2013, 08:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Discuss! (I couldn't find a thread already, so apologies in advance)

Basically my understanding is...

... The review system is designed to stop obvious umpire mistakes.

... But assumes - incredibly stupidly - that the umpires know they made a mistake.

... If the umpires knew they made a mistake, they wouldn't need a review :/

Players should be able to review, but a 50m penalty if they get it wrong (not inconclusive, but wrong).

Plus cameras on the goal line. ffs.

kilbluff1985

If cricket can afford all the technolog it has surely we can to

roo boys!

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on June 12, 2013, 08:21:34 AM
If cricket can afford all the technolog it has surely we can to
It's a bit tougher in regards to hotspot etc and other technologies as in cricket they're able to fix it on the one spot, as the batsman remains relatively stationary. This means they only have to pay for the amount of hotspot technology needed to cover that small area surrounding the batsman, stumps, popping crease and a metre or so up the pitch.

In footy, hotspot would be an amazing help for all the conclusive touched decisions, but you'd need to cover nearly the whole 50m arc to get conclusive decisions for all reviews, which is just not possible with the current technology available - it would cost a fortune.

Would also be nice if the bloke sitting upstairs watching all the replays took the initiative to radio down to the umps when they've made a howler but they don't think they're wrong so don't review it. There's a number every week that we at home can clearly see are touched, skimmed the post, were already out of bounds, went the wrong side of the bloody post etc which I'm sure the man with the deep voice who reviews them all anyway can see on his little replay screen.

ossie85

Quote from: roo boys! on June 12, 2013, 09:19:41 AM
In footy, hotspot would be an amazing help for all the conclusive touched decisions, but you'd need to cover nearly the whole 50m arc to get conclusive decisions for all reviews, which is just not possible with the current technology available - it would cost a fortune.

Agree! You could do it on the goal posts though

Ringo

I agree surely we should be able to use hot spot technolgy or similar on the Goal posts to see whether ball has touched the post and on the goal line as to whether the whole ball has crossed the line. Do not see that would be too much of a problem.

Also I think if we had a stump cam camera technology centred between the goal posts we may be able to see all these disputed decisions resolved clearly.

Ziplock

they need to be using quality cameras.

I swear an iphone would give a better quality image half the time.

Ringo

Quote from: Ziplock on June 12, 2013, 04:41:50 PM
they need to be using quality cameras.

I swear an iphone would give a better quality image half the time.
Trying not to be so blunt Zip but agree with what you say.  A quality camera would make all the difference

quinny88

I would like to know how many of the results come back as inconclusive? I reckon at least half of them. So we all sit around waiting for a couple of minutes, the players get annoyed the crowd get restless then they come back and baisically say they have no idea anyway.

The other thing that always pisses me off is when the goal umpire says it was a goal and then the field umpire says "are you sure it wasnt touched" then calls the boundary umpires in, they all say they thought it was a goal, so everyone agrees it was a goal then.. "lets go for a review" Why call them in and ask! it doesnt matter what they say, you are going to go to a review anyway!

I just think they should either pay for the technology to do it properly or dont do it all. Its just a shambles at the moment. they review things they shouldnt, they miss ones they should, they get it wrong, they take forever to make decisions and half come back as inconclusive.

Ziplock

Quote from: quinny88 on June 13, 2013, 01:20:34 AM
I would like to know how many of the results come back as inconclusive? I reckon at least half of them. So we all sit around waiting for a couple of minutes, the players get annoyed the crowd get restless then they come back and baisically say they have no idea anyway.

The other thing that always pisses me off is when the goal umpire says it was a goal and then the field umpire says "are you sure it wasnt touched" then calls the boundary umpires in, they all say they thought it was a goal, so everyone agrees it was a goal then.. "lets go for a review" Why call them in and ask! it doesnt matter what they say, you are going to go to a review anyway!

I just think they should either pay for the technology to do it properly or dont do it all. Its just a shambles at the moment. they review things they shouldnt, they miss ones they should, they get it wrong, they take forever to make decisions and half come back as inconclusive.

I dunno, I've seen a couple where the boundary/field umpire have called it touched/ hit the post when the goal umpire hasn't seen it and they've bee nright.

we wouldn't get these inconclusive results if there were more cameras and better quality ones.

quinny88

Quote from: Ziplock on June 13, 2013, 01:54:40 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on June 13, 2013, 01:20:34 AM

I dunno, I've seen a couple where the boundary/field umpire have called it touched/ hit the post when the goal umpire hasn't seen it and they've bee nright.

we wouldn't get these inconclusive results if there were more cameras and better quality ones.

Yeah I understand that Zip, sometimes the umpires will have differing views so it is the right thing to ask them and then go to a review.. however when they all agree it was a goal why do they still need to review it? There is no point asking everyone if they are going to review it either way lol.

Yeah I agree they need to put their hand in their pocket and fork out for the proper technology or not bother at all