Main Menu

Oh, Eddie

Started by AFEV, May 29, 2013, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colliwobblers

just forget it Zip the whole thing makes me sick. Eddie only has himself to blame, but being Eddie (of collingwood) it will be totally taken out of context and is just a shame for him, for collingwood and for all the decent people involved with the club and all the great things it and eddie does.

the facts are:

he racially vilified goodes an indigenous man. That is what this is about and I feel for Goodes and all indigenous people, racism has no place in our society, and THAT is what this should be about.

he accepts responsibility and will face the music and should.

he is a good person and had zero intention of vilifying anyone.

Collingwood will face the hatred of most afl football supporters as a result as the team everyone loves to hate. When only eddie's actions should receive peoples scorn, not him as a person, or our club or "most" of it's supporters. But we will all cop it.

Me personally have gone from being extremely proud of eddie and my club to being gutted and genuinely upset. I hope the good outweighs the bad and redemption can be achieved because I believe eddie and collingwood have done and will continue to do great things for so many people , something MOST opposition supporters have absolutely no idea about just how much he and the club does in the community, which is what makes this such a horrible thing to happen.

accept my apology - I took you for a "normal" hater of eddie and collingwood, almost everyone is why wouldn't you be too.

This has got to me as I am sure it will to most Pies people and I should not have been online tonight.

Ziplock

fair enough, look I can see why. When I initially read the transcript, I was calling for his head straight off, it obviously wasn't intentional, but his meaning behind it really wasn't clear. Actually hearing it on radio made me go 'oh eddie. You idiot.'.

I still think he'll be fine- I don't see that comment as a reflection of either him or the club personally.

feel sorry for luke darcy as well, he must have been trying to think as quickly as possible how he could fix it... :/

nostradamus

There is one thing in this whole affair that has been overlooked though........

there's a mandatory delay on broadcasts (primarily for offensive language), it's a real shame that the person who had the power to censor the comments didnt do so

Cruiseon

Quote from: Colliwobblers on May 29, 2013, 11:02:31 PM
just forget it Zip the whole thing makes me sick. Eddie only has himself to blame, but being Eddie (of collingwood) it will be totally taken out of context and is just a shame for him, for collingwood and for all the decent people involved with the club and all the great things it and eddie does.

the facts are:

he racially vilified goodes an indigenous man. That is what this is about and I feel for Goodes and all indigenous people, racism has no place in our society, and THAT is what this should be about.

he accepts responsibility and will face the music and should.

he is a good person and had zero intention of vilifying anyone.

Collingwood will face the hatred of most afl football supporters as a result as the team everyone loves to hate. When only eddie's actions should receive peoples scorn, not him as a person, or our club or "most" of it's supporters. But we will all cop it.

Me personally have gone from being extremely proud of eddie and my club to being gutted and genuinely upset. I hope the good outweighs the bad and redemption can be achieved because I believe eddie and collingwood have done and will continue to do great things for so many people , something MOST opposition supporters have absolutely no idea about just how much he and the club does in the community, which is what makes this such a horrible thing to happen.

accept my apology - I took you for a "normal" hater of eddie and collingwood, almost everyone is why wouldn't you be too.

This has got to me as I am sure it will to most Pies people and I should not have been online tonight.

I agree with all of what you say Wobblers. Quite simply a mindless moment for which he should be kept accountable as a public figure, even he agrees with that.

I don't think for a second Eddie is racist, his ongoing unsung charity work (he was actually at a function the night before raising money for indigenous lads to attend a prestigous private schol) attest to that but when one makes a public gaff one must be accountable. That's the public lesson, it only takes one moment, one comment, one word - there can be no excuses.

After handling the game incident very well (I thought) he has in one single moment caused huge offence and great disruption to the club. I think he needs to step down, most leaders in most positions would have to.

PowerBug

Alex Williamson‏ @AlexWilliamson8 19h
Eddie McGuire doesn't need to call a press conference to explain why he's a shower cow, we already get it.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

PowerBug

Even bigger tweet!

AFL‏ @AFL 1m
Remorseful McGuire may step down

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-30/eddie-may-step-down
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

lozza71

Its amazing how sensitive we have all become. What happen to us aussies..
Why are we telling people how to behave. In a muslim country i would understand.
This is australia we have been name calling for 100s of years.

It happens every single day. The first immigrants were called wogs. Daigos. Clog wogs. Macos.
I often hear dumb aussie and the list goes on.

My grandfather when he first arrived was teased that much he changed his surname.
Because he copped it at work everyday. It was cockshawn he changed it to peterson.

Aussies are known for there humor. However aussies are not known for dobbing.
Adam goodes dobbed in a 13 year old girl. He is a 30 something man. Who hasnt grown up.

Still carrying hurts from primary school and now those surpressed hurts are back again.
Go see a counsellor and deal with it.

Australia

SydneyRox

Quote from: lozza71 on May 30, 2013, 01:43:10 PM
I
Adam goodes dobbed in a 13 year old girl. He is a 30 something man. Who hasnt grown up.

Still carrying hurts from primary school and now those surpressed hurts are back again.

Honestly some of the most juvenile comments I have read.

As a nation we need to pull together, and by racially or socially vilifying anyone we will not go forward. The people who do, need to be educated as to why it is wrong and be taught to stop.

If you don't understand a subject as you clearly dont, maybe you should refrain from comment.

lozza71

Yes sydney rox we csn see how intelligent you are . Have a look at your logo. A girl with bouncing boobs.

Blessed are the shallow depth they will never find.

SydneyRox

Quote from: lozza71 on May 30, 2013, 02:30:00 PM
Yes sydney rox we csn see how intelligent you are . Have a look at your logo. A girl with bouncing boobs.

Blessed are the shallow depth they will never find.

Intelligence is not limited to people without humor or beauty.

It seems all you are capable of is flinging around insults at others?

Spite

AFEV

Quote from: lozza71 on May 30, 2013, 01:43:10 PM
Its amazing how sensitive we have all become. What happen to us aussies..
Why are we telling people how to behave. In a muslim country i would understand.
This is australia we have been name calling for 100s of years.

It happens every single day. The first immigrants were called wogs. Daigos. Clog wogs. Macos.
I often hear dumb aussie and the list goes on.

My grandfather when he first arrived was teased that much he changed his surname.
Because he copped it at work everyday. It was cockshawn he changed it to peterson.

Aussies are known for there humor. However aussies are not known for dobbing.

Australia
OH COME ON.

Just because something is tradition, does not mean it is correct. That is such a nonsensical argument I'm not sure if you are being serious or not.

We kept slaves for 100s of years. Is that acceptable? I would hope your answer is no.

This is simply not an acceptable stance, whether or not this 'is a big deal' is to be decided by the victim. Adam Goodes. He seems pretty upset to me, so I'd say it is definitely necessary for this to be an issue which is discussed and resolved. Definitely not soft, in fact you could argue his bravery throughout this saga.

lozza71

Sid there is a huge difference between slavery and name calling. You see slavery takes away the rights of everything of what it means to be human. Name calling whilst its not nice its only words you can choose to be offended or let it slide right off you.

Slavery there is no choice.

lozza71

Sid reckons adam goodes is a VICTIM. kidding me arnt you.

A victim is someone who has been victimised . Lets see  somone who is raped, homeless, car accident, lost his job, house burnt down,
Got beaten up for no reason,  lost all his savings, locked up for 10 years repeatdley beaten and raped.
The list goes on and on these people are VICTIMS.

Adam goodes oh yeah hes s victim. I am telling my mummy a 13 year old girl called me ape

RiOtChEsS

Let me say i think Eddie has done a fantastic job as president and it would be harsh to lose his post over a poor jape... that said he has helped usher in a zero tolerance policy for racial vilification, putting the onus on the board "to ask him to step down" is copping out, (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-30/board-backs-mcguire) the board saying all his other work offsets is a cop out, Collingwood passing the buck round and round until the public become dizzy with the issue isnt fooling the majority... ZERO TOLERANCE means just that, fall on your sword and knock off the nonsense, its the only way u and now Collingwood wont be remembered as HYPOCRITES