Main Menu

WC v NM - Was it a free?

Started by Tominator, May 17, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

I'm gonna put it out there... that free kick paid on the HFF to Scott Selwood, was it there or not?

Selwood got tackled by Leigh Adams on the half-forward flank and won a free kick for a high tackle. Bombed it long to the square where Nic Naitanui marks in the air. NicNat goes back and slots it after the siren to win the game.

Was the free kick there or not?

Let the mass-debate begin !!

specky92

Thought it was Adam... Might be wrong though

roo boys!

To be perfectly honest, the free could have been there, yes. But the bigger issue is that we should have been a couple of goals up at that stage IMO due to other, worse decisions throughout the whole course of the match. At an individual basis this one was no where near one of their most biased calls for the night.

Tominator

Quote from: roo boys! on May 17, 2013, 11:39:25 PM
To be perfectly honest, the free could have been there, yes. But the bigger issue is that we should have been a couple of goals up at that stage IMO due to other, worse decisions throughout the whole course of the match. At an individual basis this one was no where near one of their most biased calls for the night.

that's very true, but that last one was the one that really changed the outcome didn't it?

It was 50-50 IMO, but the umpires are always bad in WA-hosted games it seems !

roo boys!

It did change the outcome for sure, but if we were 3 goals up it wouldn't have affected it at all was what I was trying to say.

Yep it probably was pretty close to 50/50 and yeah I say we sign a petition to refuse to play in WA until they get their shower together haha. Is it the pressure of the 'feral' crowd, most other interstate stadiums don't have the same ratio of home fans to the tiny amount of away fans let in and we've all heard some pretty bad things about the crowds over there, could have an impact on the umpires though process. Who knows, maybe a bigger stadium and allowing more away fans in to balance it out could sort out these umpires.

Tominator

Here is the evidence - make of it what you will

specky92

Quote from: Tominator on May 17, 2013, 11:52:09 PM

Here is the evidence - make of it what you will
Perfect! You can't not say that it was a free

roo boys!

I'm on my phone so not too keen to explain in depth again ahah but:

1) it wasn't actually that tackle that the free came from, it was the second one
2) the amount of times an arm would slip over a shoulder like this would be ridiculous - take a photo of every tackle next match and see how we're looking
3) I'm not trying to argue there wasn't a free there, but how about Black's mark? Or Glass? throwing Thomas to the ground about 50m out then going and getting it? There were a couple of push in the backs (one against nic nat I remember) near north goals that weren't paid, that's fine, but don't pay the same ones down the other end please (Cox on the end of one from memory)

LF

There may have been some push in the backs etc not paid to North but there were just as many not paid to the Eagles so your point is invalid

13Brummy

I only saw the replay from the commentary box angle but it seemed to me that Selwood ducked straight into Adams... which is still a 50/50 free kick but I really hate seeing players do that...

Nails

Bending knees to get lower =/= ducking

First one should have been paid. There's currently no rule against bending your knees to lower your body.

TeeJay

Theres no debate to be had. He tackled high its a free kick every day of the week. Yes selwood dropped his knees but thats still a free kick. Its the same as when a player is tackled from behind and drop the knees to force the tackle in the back. Tackle the hips and it wont happen

specky92

Quote from: Tominator on May 17, 2013, 11:31:26 PM
Let the mass-debate begin !!
Wait a second... Well played  ::)

Bluke

Winning is winning I suppose.

Umpiring will never be consistent - its a fundamental flaw with all sports.

elephants

Not complaining but in real time I was shocked we got the Selwood free. From the other angle though I can see why.

I don't think North or Eagles supporters have any right to complain about umps though :P