Main Menu

Free Kicks for the Kangaroos

Started by powersuperkents, May 04, 2013, 05:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

I'm not after an arguement. :) I was unaware of the FK count for this year, 13th is interesting i guess. But if you saw last years stats.... West Coast were so far ahead of everyone else. ;)

Might be why Port are winning and WC not hey? those Frees For make a big difference :P
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

AFEV

Quote from: PowerBug on May 04, 2013, 07:41:11 PM
I'm not after an arguement. :) I was unaware of the FK count for this year, 13th is interesting i guess. But if you saw last years stats.... West Coast were so far ahead of everyone else. ;)

Might be why Port are winning and WC not hey? those Frees For make a big difference :P
Wrong again.

West Coast were 12th for frees for in 2012.
Sorry PB.

(Not after an argument either, but this particular 'issue' gets on my nerves.)

PowerBug

Quote from: Sid on May 04, 2013, 10:09:54 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on May 04, 2013, 07:41:11 PM

Wrong again.

West Coast were 12th for frees for in 2012.
Sorry PB.

(Not after an argument either, but this particular 'issue' gets on my nerves.)
Differential, i meant differential. not total. Pretty sure they were +60 or so while noone else was over +20.

Edit: Sorry AFEV, either my site is wrong or you are reading wrong:
http://afl.allthestats.com/?itm=11173501&inyr=2012&t1=18

From here it says WC averaged 22.2 Frees For which is 3rd. Whilst their opponents averaged 21.9 Frees Against which was the most of all clubs.

AFEV

Here there are listed as 12th.

They are second for differential, North is far ahead of everyone else on both stats though.

Footywire has never been wrong in my experience, but it may be in this instance. Can't say I have any experience with the site you've quoted so can't compare.

TeeJay

Port are pretenders. The wheels will come off now

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: TeeJay on May 05, 2013, 12:46:12 AM

Come play with the big kids when you have something interesting or insightful to add to the conversation instead of taking an unfounded pot shot.

Ziplock

Quote from: Wes Mantooth on May 05, 2013, 02:16:35 AM

Come play with the big kids when you have something interesting or insightful to add to the conversation instead of taking an unfounded pot shot.

I honestly think port showed where they'll be sitting in the ladder this year- around the lower half of the bottom 8. North + wce are the only decent teams they've played so far, and wce are injury riddled. Just saying.

hinkley not coaching this game personally because of illness (or so  iheard) may ahve contributed.

McRooster

If you want to blame three people, don't blame the umpires, blame Westhoff, Hartlett and Stevenson. These three were very poor and well held. It was also apparent the spirit of John Mcarthy was there on field, in the form of Kane Mitchell. Unfortunately Mitchell too, much like Mcarthy, gave the ball too often to someone under direct pressure resulting in turnovers.
As much as Alan Richardson tried, he just didn't have the group engaged on the day (Chad Wingard footage at the qtr break was interesting, looking off at something in the crowd rather than Richardson).
Hinckley will refocus the group and get Port back on track, he will not focus on any umpiring decisions.

fidou

I didn't see the match but did the wind play any part in it. As it really is the worst ground to play on. The sea breeze from the derwent blows up to 30 knots. I'm sure that the big stand they built may help. I used to play cricket/footy there and you had to take the bails off when it blew.

roo boys!

Quote from: fidou on May 05, 2013, 08:21:42 AM
I didn't see the match but did the wind play any part in it. As it really is the worst ground to play on. The sea breeze from the derwent blows up to 30 knots. I'm sure that the big stand they built may help. I used to play cricket/footy there and you had to take the bails off when it blew.
Yep they reckon it did, as I said earlier I didn't see it but North kicked with the wind in the first term and got out to a 33 point lead which ended up being just a little too much for Port to make up, they came closer in the 2nd before North stretched it out again in the third and then the comeback with the wind for Port. If it had gone for 5 more mins, different game. I think North's early goals with the wind were the decisive factor.

Quote from: Wes Mantooth on May 04, 2013, 05:43:24 PM
Quote from: roo boys! on May 04, 2013, 05:34:42 PM
Due to lack of Foxtel I was relying on the radio, so can't really comment on any of the frees without seeing them. But I did think a number of crucial moments when the pressure was on the Roos there was a big release of pressure by free kicks given away by Port players. The commentators were saying that a number were ill disciplined Port players tackling high/getting into the back etc.

RB - definitely some were there, but the holding the ball decision was given in North's favour a number of times and Port had no prior and crucial momentum points too. Port weren't ill disciplined to the point of 20 free kicks, I saw the entire game, and sure you can say I might be biased but I can assure you there were a lot of bad calls and Port should ask for a please explain from the AFL. I guess we all know how that'll turn out...
Yep very good point you make Wes. I did notice that there were a lot of holding the ball decisions when there was a pack on the ball, and most of them seemed to go in our favour. Like I said, they can make a big difference in those pressure situations as often you had the momentum going forward and there would be a stoppage and all of a sudden a North free kick would be picked out and North would go forward to kick a goal. Classic 12 point turnaround.

Dudge

People who think Scumpires don't influence games, need to think again. I've watched footy for 40+ years, and seen hundreds (yes 100s) of games dictated by these clowns. Not just Port games, all games I, as Wes did, watched the whole game closely, and some of the decisions were simply baffling to say the least. I've spoken to 2 non Power supporters who also watched the entire game, and openly stated Port got, i wouldn't say crucified, but hurt, by some of those insipid decisions. All in all i think the Power did very well, to play the Roo's in Tassie (with a away crowd), and a 35/38(not sure) --  15 free kick count against, and only go down by 10 points

So glad i didn't post last night with a few cans in the gut, because i'd probably be banned :)

Jroo

Was watching the game and fell for Port, they got nothing from the umpires. They've had a good last two weeks North Melbourne.
68 Free Kicks For.
30 Free Kicks Against.
:o ::)

PowerBug

Quote from: McRooster on May 05, 2013, 08:01:29 AM
If you want to blame three people, don't blame the umpires, blame Westhoff, Hartlett and Stevenson. These three were very poor and well held. It was also apparent the spirit of John Mcarthy was there on field, in the form of Kane Mitchell. Unfortunately Mitchell too, much like Mcarthy, gave the ball too often to someone under direct pressure resulting in turnovers.
As much as Alan Richardson tried, he just didn't have the group engaged on the day (Chad Wingard footage at the qtr break was interesting, looking off at something in the crowd rather than Richardson).
Hinckley will refocus the group and get Port back on track, he will not focus on any umpiring decisions.
That's coz you have all three in your DT/SC right? ::)

Go back and cry over Scott Thompson's free kick against. (Which made the Back Page of the advertiser today, saying this decision cost the crows the match. Insider there was nothing on the 38-15 count being unfair and possibly turning the Port game) I'm not saying the umps turned the game for North (I didn't watch it) but if one decision makes the back page and is the sole excuse then surely 38 decisions get's a mention.

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: McRooster on May 05, 2013, 08:01:29 AM

Roost, if you saw the game, you obviously have less knowledge of the game than I thought. The umpiring decisions were simply baffling. Port should make a complaint, because even though Jeff 'we're doing nothing wrong' G-banger lets any criticism just roll off a duck's back like water, the umpires need to improve and be told when they're doing a bad job. I feel for Richmond last week. That was unacceptable. They lost the game because of that call. A 20 free kick differential is not ill discipline... maybe 10 but not 20. Thats just plain ridiculous and you pull out every thing you want to say it was this or that that impacted the game but umpires get paid extremely well and they shouldn't be influencing games. And they did exactly that yesterday.

TeeJay

Quote from: Wes Mantooth on May 05, 2013, 02:16:35 AM

Yeah coz whinging about umpires is interesting and insightful....