Richmond Contracts/Trading/Drafting and Pre-Season Discussion Thread!

Started by Toga, May 01, 2013, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Quote from: TheAnt on January 08, 2014, 08:14:32 PM
To be fair Ellis won the time trial last year as well haha

Yer and had a great season. He looks bigger bodied now and is dominating in all areas apparently

Vinny

quinny88

Quote from: vinny on January 11, 2014, 01:48:41 AM
Not against the Blues, just gotta tag him ;)

Can't keep tagging everyone V man. It worked against us last time but Carlton need a bit of the Ratten attacking game plan back if they wanna get near the 8 this year

Vinny

You don't just need to be attacking to win. We shut down Ellis, Dusty and Cotchin with our usual three.

Armfield forward tag, Curnow tagging. Tuohy is the only one that only occasionally plays lockdown.

The rest of the team got the job done after we tagged em mate ;)

quinny88

Quote from: vinny on January 12, 2014, 02:58:33 PM
You don't just need to be attacking to win. We shut down Ellis, Dusty and Cotchin with our usual three.

Armfield forward tag, Curnow tagging. Tuohy is the only one that only occasionally plays lockdown.

The rest of the team got the job done after we tagged em mate ;)

Yeah against us. It didn't get the job done often enough to make the finals though which is what I'm saying. Need to let go of the tags and attack. That's what works for you. For example I remember round 1 we were touching you up then in the last quarter Mick finally took all the tags off and let them play with freedom and attack and you nearly ran over the top of us.
Carlton were a way scarier prospect under Ratten when they were all out attack. They got the players to do it

Vinny

Yeah you make a good point mate. I did like Rattens style of coaching much better, I just don't understand Mick sometimes. But in saying that we need one tagger in Curnow and then Carrazzo to the ball. Mick plays favourites. But I think Armfield continues with the forward tag and Tuohy runs loose. But Tuohy didnt play lock down roles that often was just referring to that one games with Ellis, haha.

It's hard to say where we will finish this year, anywhere between 6-10 Id reckon.

quinny88

Quote from: vinny on January 12, 2014, 03:08:36 PM
Yeah you make a good point mate. I did like Rattens style of coaching much better, I just don't understand Mick sometimes. But in saying that we need one tagger in Curnow and then Carrazzo to the ball. Mick plays favourites. But I think Armfield continues with the forward tag and Tuohy runs loose. But Tuohy didnt play lock down roles that often was just referring to that one games with Ellis, haha.

It's hard to say where we will finish this year, anywhere between 6-10 Id reckon.

Yeah you definitely still need the defensive side but when you have guys like Judd, Murphy, Yarran, Gibbs, Garlett etc you need to be playing an attacking style. Mick was even using Gibbs in tagging roles some weeks  :o
You got the wood on us for whatever reason so they will likely keep doing what works against Richmond but I reckon if they loosen a couple of the tags and attack more Carlton could push the 4 if all goes well with injury etc

Vinny

Haha yeah Mick was high when he was doing that.

Yeah your right although Tiges are improving quickly. Cotchin breaks the tag, one more season into Ellis, Conca all should improve. JRoo spudding it up which can't be fixed. ;) Tiges would be a Top 5 side.

The Blues were the same as North lost to all the top teams by under two goals bar Sydney and Collingwood the second time. People underrate us because we were expected to go nuts with the "Almighty Mick Malthouse" and didnt.

quinny88

Quote from: vinny on January 12, 2014, 03:26:36 PM
Haha yeah Mick was high when he was doing that.

Yeah your right although Tiges are improving quickly. Cotchin breaks the tag, one more season into Ellis, Conca all should improve. JRoo spudding it up which can't be fixed. ;) Tiges would be a Top 5 side.

The Blues were the same as North lost to all the top teams by under two goals bar Sydney and Collingwood the second time. People underrate us because we were expected to go nuts with the "Almighty Mick Malthouse" and didnt.

Haha really don't rate Jroo do ya? He's a star!
Yeah no doubt, all our best players are still young so plenty of room for improvement there.

Yeah blues are a mystery this year but I wouldn't be shocked to see them surprise a few and push the top half of the 8.

Ricochet

Most teams don't see the fruits of a new coach until their second year at the helm. Look at Freo. Expect good things this year Vin ;)

Vinny

quinny88

Quote from: Ricochet on January 12, 2014, 06:40:45 PM
Most teams don't see the fruits of a new coach until their second year at the helm. Look at Freo. Expect good things this year Vin ;)

Didn't even take Ross the boss a season did it? Think freo were flying after about half way through his first season from memory

Ricochet

Quote from: quinny88 on January 12, 2014, 09:13:03 PM

Didn't even take Ross the boss a season did it? Think freo were flying after about half way through his first season from memory
yeh it did we scraped into the 8 in his first year and we were really messy as Ross tried to implement his game plan. This year he got his second preseason to build further on what he tried to bring to the club and we saw the results.

elephants

Quote from: Ricochet on January 12, 2014, 09:21:13 PM

yeh it did we scraped into the 8 in his first year and we were really messy as Ross tried to implement his game plan. This year he got his second preseason to build further on what he tried to bring to the club and we saw the results.

Don't worry Freo fans, second place is still good :P #banter

Ricochet

Quote from: elephants on January 13, 2014, 03:05:28 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on January 12, 2014, 09:21:13 PM

Don't worry Freo fans, second place is still good :P #banter
better than... what was it? 15th? 16th? ;)